Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:05 pm 

Fun factor, yeah, that sums it up quite nicely! I've tried various styles on them and they sound good with jazz, rock and pop.

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:05 pm 

Hi,

It's just me attempting to countervail Richard's overwhelming desire to steer you into tubes.

I quote: 'I have not found a SS amp over the last 25 years that I like more.'
Well, others have.

I can endorse the following: Rogue Sphinx (hybrids and Class D are coming on strong); Exposure 3010S (more omph than a 2010 but the same sound field and Totems like oomph)); and the Roksan Kandy. Several other SS amps mentioned in posts above are also perennial winners in audiophile lists.

Best to find a solid dealer that will let you 'try and return'. It might cost a bit more initially but amp swapping gets expensive pretty quickly. Or, take your speakers into the dealer and set them up.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:16 pm 

buybye88 wrote:
Hi,

It's just me attempting to countervail Richard's overwhelming desire to steer you into tubes.

Well, others have.

I can endorse the following: Rogue Sphinx (hybrids and Class D are coming on strong); Exposure 3010S (more omph than a 2010 but the same sound field and Totems like oomph)); and the Roksan Kandy. Several other SS amps mentioned in posts above are also perennial winners in audiophile lists.

Best to find a solid dealer that will let you 'try and return'. It might cost a bit more initially but amp swapping gets expensive pretty quickly. Or, take your speakers into the dealer and set them up.

Cheers,
David Neice

Huh? Who is Richard, and why are you stalking him?

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:07 pm 

Hi,

runnin wrote: 'Huh? Who is Richard, and why are you stalking him?'

Richard Austen - this thread - page 1 - count down to post #6.

No stalking involved. We sometimes correspond by private message but also sometimes challenge each other on threads.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:26 am 

I knew which Richard you were referring to. I had a conversation with him on another forum about CAM, and you seem unaware of his status here.

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:46 am 

Hi,

runnin wrote: ' you seem unaware of his status here. '

OK - I get it! :oops:

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:00 am 

I drive my Rainmakers with a tube, MingDa 34A integrated amp.

Best sound I've ever had and the amp seems very comfortable with the 4ohm Rainmakers.

I think you can still get these amps or similar Chi-Fi integrateds for $500 - $800 CAD.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:35 am 

As this was an old post of mine here is what I decided upon.
As I use my Rainmakers (two channel) for all uses in this order....
TV
Music
Movies
I needed an amp that could do everything and sound good at the same time.
I listened to a Yamaha AS801 and thought it had enough power and hookups to satisfy all of my needs.
With 3 hookups to the dac it was perfect.
As for listening it is above average.
Maybe not as good for music as my Arcam or Moon amps, but much better for TV and movies in two channel.
So all in all I would recommend the Yamaha AS801 as a great choice.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:48 pm 

I'm using my Rainmakers for only music, and I also acquired Totem's Tress speaker cables. I'm currently breaking both in now, and am at about the 65 hour mark out of the 100 or so Totem recommends. I have to say, these speakers hit low! And really image well. I can't complain about the job the Nad is doing, really. I plan to replace the speaker jumper bars with and use pieces of the cable instead, but man, I really am pleased with the sound thus far.

Albert Einstein

Last edited by runnin on Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:14 am 

I have owned Totem Hawks, Arro, Model Ones and two pairs of Rainmakers.
After all my speaker searching I keep coming back to the Rainmakers.
My Hawks were great but I always felt like something was missing. Maybe not enough power?
The Arros were great at imaging, but not so great with classic rock.
The Model ones were too smooth for me.
So I am back with the Raimakers.
I find them a happy medium in the Totem lineup.
Enjoy your Rainmakers as they are great speakers.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:25 am 

I'm surprised by your Hawk and Model One comments but to each their own. The Sky is a sure upgrade if you ever want to move on from the Rainmaker.

On a side note the Rainmaker was the first speaker I brought home that got my wife in to the hobby. She couldn't believe the sound coming out of the little boxes. Totem really did a great job with it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:49 am 

buybye88 wrote:
Hi,

Well, others have. ....

Cheers,
David Neice

+1 (emphasis added)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:39 am 

I owned both the ARROS and FORESTS simultaneously in a prior "B" and "A" system, driven by a NAD C370 and ARCAM FMJ A32 integrated / FMJ P25 power amp (bi-amped) respectively

My take:

(1) a top used ARCAM FMJ integrated amp for the Rainmakers should do very nicely
(2) Any of the NAD offerings in your price range ..... not so much . They are mid-fi with their signature dark performance and rolled off top end that would not do the speakers a proper justice IMO.

My fave now to match up to TOTEM without any bi-amp needs : a top high-current quality build integrated amp,

= in order they would be a top SIMAUDIO , AYRE or PLINIUS. These have all been paired up with TOTEMS frequently in the past audio Paloozas.

TOTEM's own integrated amp (now discontinued) the "AMBER' would be the ideal but they are scarce and rare . It was a joint venture with SIMAUDIO based on the SIMAUDIO platform.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:02 am 

Gunner wrote:
I owned both the ARROS and FORESTS simultaneously in a prior "B" and "A" system, driven by a NAD C370 and ARCAM FMJ A32 integrated / FMJ P25 power amp (bi-amped) respectively

My take:

(1) a top used ARCAM FMJ integrated amp for the Rainmakers should do very nicely
(2) Any of the NAD offerings in your price range ..... not so much . They are mid-fi with their signature dark performance and rolled off top end that would not do the speakers a proper justice IMO.

My fave now to match up to TOTEM without any bi-amp needs : a top high-current quality build integrated amp,

= in order they would be a top SIMAUDIO , AYRE or PLINIUS. These have all been paired up with TOTEMS frequently in the past audio Paloozas.

TOTEM's own integrated amp (now discontinued) the "AMBER' would be the ideal but they are scarce and rare . It was a joint venture with SIMAUDIO based on the SIMAUDIO platform.

Yep, I keep reading how Arcam, Simaudio and Naim are all good options. I like the big Nad, but I think I'll have to eventually acquire one of those brands.

Opinions that I've read seem split. Some prefer the Rainmakers and some the Arros, which probably is just that, preferences.

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:18 pm 

The Rainmakers had the jumper bars to connect the hi and low speaker terminals. Since I also have the Totem Tress speaker cables, I wired the terminals with short lengths of the Tress and removed the jumpers. Also, I had previously removed the stock jumpers on the Nad's pre out jacks and have used some higher end cable there as well as with the cd player and DAC which are connected to the Nad. I had also upgraded the Nad's power cable with a PS Audio AC5(?) and something else on the cd player, so I think I'm getting better highs than a stock Nad C375BEE would.

I tried swapping back in the stock pre amp jumpers for a song with accentuated highs and I could hear better details with the better cables, but it was subtle. I'm getting closer to the recommended 100 hour break in, but still a ways off. But the Rainmakers are keepers for sure.

Albert Einstein

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next