Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: TFLO Speaker Design
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 9:24 am 

This weekend after waiting years to own a pair of Tflo speakers, the newest design are now proudly in my listening room!

After only 6 hours with the hybrids - now the subtle virtue of open baffle is shining through. A soundstage exhibiting height and depth beyond cabinet speakers without the undesirable effects of first reflection points. In order to appreciate this attribute which I'm struggling to describe you'd have to listen to them in person.

It belies me to conjure a description of sound reproduction of passive bass radiator over more common ported and sealed design enclosures. Midnight listening to CKUA at low volume was rich with bass notes and good vibrations. Tonight I intend to spin a few favourite cello recordings which I anticipate a realignment of the vertebra. Tight bass, descriptive full octaves, are characteristics with these passive radiators.

Finally the fit'n finish on the accompaniment of drivers into the baffle and bass enclose is superb. They are solid pieces of furniture crafted by Terry which exhibit care and attention from the solid brass spikes to the beautiful veneer to the application of his special blended texture paint. Driver cut outs and alignment perfect - a true professional product.

Again thank you Terry, your craftsmanship is all here.
Cheers
Darrell

Attachments:
IMG_8324.jpg
IMG_8324.jpg [ 219.94 KiB | Viewed 914 times ]
IMG_8326.jpg
IMG_8326.jpg [ 159.12 KiB | Viewed 914 times ]
 Post subject: Re: TFLO Speaker Design
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 9:41 am 
Premium User

polygon wrote:
the subtle virtue of open baffle is shining through. A soundstage exhibiting height and depth beyond cabinet speakers without the undesirable effects of first reflection points. In order to appreciate this attribute which I'm struggling to describe you'd have to listen to them in person.

Sounds like the first time I heard ALON/NOLA products. Congrats on the new speakers!

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 12:08 pm 
Premium User

I'd dearly love to exclaim at how surprised I was to read such a splendid review of Terry's speaker design.
But I'm not - The man is merely that good at speaker design.
Really! Good!

Sure - we have a store with several pairs of Tflo Acoustic Design speakers and we can (and do) listen to any of them any time.
But they're all good. Toughest part is the decision of which pair to put in this week.

He's designing a pair with a local colleague as we speak. It may be a couple of months before they're ready - But both these guys know their speakers. All I can say right now is get ready for something amazing. When you see a speaker picture posted here and the cabinets are finished in deeps coats of '60s Ferrari red - that'll be the ones!

Yup - Polygon has it right. No question, No doubt.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 7:33 pm 

They are right he's a fantastic speaker builder!!!

I've owned a pair of his speakers for over a year now & I don't think I'd ever want to replace them with any thing else. They were a huge upgrade from my Revel F50's & at an affordable price! The great thing about Terry is that all you have to do is let him know your budget & he can build something fantastic! They out perform many of the main stream speakers in the same price range. Jac at 3db (his number is on the previous post) can help you out. Don't fear the lack of reviews form the big magazines. That's why there is a great value in these speakers. No money is wasted on getting those reviews!

Ivan Pelletier