Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 15" of JBL BASS love
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:49 pm 

Last year I recall reading about how adding a BASS can enhance 2 channel listening but until last weekend was a non believer. Now I cannot turn off my JBL 2235 encased in a solid/sealed 150 Lb down-fire cabinet. The extended range from 38Hz to now 20Hz (measured) affects amost every genre, sound field is more natural, the difference is like cleaning the garage windows! No replacement for displacement here either, the room has more a feel of live stage, liken to walking on a wooden floor with a heavy foot - love it.

How about cross over and gain? What do you guys recommend for overlap frequency and by how much - what is enough gain?

Matching speakers are JBL LS80.

Post subject: Re: 15" of JBL BASS love
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:26 pm 

I'm in your boat right now, I just got a Mirage BPS-400 behemoth to add to my Monitor Audio Golds, and man, I thought they sounded good before, but now it's just fuller like you described.

My next step is to play around with a miniDSP to tune in the bass.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:51 pm 

I'm now reading about the miniDSP, looks interesting and perhaps necessary to properly tune with.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:54 pm 

Great drivers. Try sneaking them in at the -3db point of the LS80 (around 45hz) using a fourth order filter and work your way down from there.
Experiment with the 2235s polarities too if you havent already done so because they follow a different convention.
A 15-20hz high pass filter would also be a good idea to reduce the possibility of over excursion as the 2235 does not have an Xmax spec normally found on "true"
sub drivers.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:01 pm 

polygon wrote:
I'm now reading about the miniDSP, looks interesting and perhaps necessary to properly tune with.

Do it, you won't look back, I promise.

I don't think there is a way to properly integrate a sub without. Make sure that you take multiple measurements in REW and then average it out. It's surprising how the room can influence the bass, especially when you can see it on the screen.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:11 pm 

Michael F wrote:
Great drivers. Try sneaking them in at the -3db point of the LS80 (around 45hz) using a fourth order filter and work your way down from there.
Experiment with the 2235s polarities too if you havent already done so because they follow a different convention.
A 15-20hz high pass filter would also be a good idea to reduce the possibility of over excursion as the 2235 does not have an Xmax spec normally found on "true"
sub drivers.

Excellent intel, thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:15 pm 

Ordered the MiniDSP, $125 USD shipped. Hope to have it next week and then apply some EQ rules and filters:
https://www.minidsp.com/index.php?optio ... temid=1058

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:37 pm 

I love my minidsp!
Did you order a mic from them too?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:06 pm 

polygon wrote:
Ordered the MiniDSP, $125 USD shipped. Hope to have it next week and then apply some EQ rules and filters:

Cheers

I guess that you didn't know that Solen.ca sells them?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:07 am 

davidam wrote:
polygon wrote:

Cheers

I guess that you didn't know that Solen.ca sells them?

Well now that's interesting, Solens' total price is $20 less than the MFG.

MiniDSP confirmed the shipment has left China and I should have this next week. Will now begin reading the instructions and download the software.
Thanks Again :D

-- 01 Mar 2016 15:10 --

kcross wrote:
I love my minidsp!
Did you order a mic from them too?

Good to hear!
No I did not order the Mic, I have may own omni directional mic which was included with a Marantz SR6008.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:56 am 

polygon wrote:
Last year I recall reading about how adding a BASS can enhance 2 channel listening but until last weekend was a non believer. Now I cannot turn off my JBL 2235 encased in a solid/sealed 150 Lb down-fire cabinet. The extended range from 38Hz to now 20Hz (measured) affects amost every genre, sound field is more natural, the difference is like cleaning the garage windows! No replacement for displacement here either, the room has more a feel of live stage, liken to walking on a wooden floor with a heavy foot - love it.

You'll realize another level of improvement when you add a second 2235. Stereo subs are definitely the way to go!

I use a pair of JBL 2245s (the 18" version of the 2235) in one system, TAD TL-1801s in another, and have a pair of 18" OEM Eminence on the way from Audio Hardware. Hard to give up that extra dimension when you get used to it.

For a time, I used digital crossovers (DriveRack 260, DriveRack 4800) to connect the subs to the mains, but ultimately became dissatisfied with a certain "bleached" quality that extra A/D and D/A added to the feel of the music, and now am back to experimenting with analogue crossovers (Ashly XR-1001, Bryston 10B, Accuphase F25).

Of course, analogue crossovers don't have near the functionality or flexibility of digital ones, so, as always, setting up an audio system is necessarily a series of reluctant compromises. . .

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:05 am 

polygon wrote:
No I did not order the Mic, I have may own omni directional mic which was included with a Marantz SR6008.

I would strongly recommend getting a calibrated mic. Most HT room correction mics use capsules that are manufactured to be highly repeatable, but not flat. They take the mic curve and use a standard offset curve to "calibrate" the mic to the software.

When you use the mic with REW, you are not getting accurate results at all, and can potentially be off by 10's of dB's.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:17 am 

"Like cleaning the garage windows"-classic.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:41 am 

dr.joe wrote:
You'll realize another level of improvement when you add a second 2235.

2X! LOL
I'd be worried about the structural integrity of the house. First I'll master adding 1 then, if the hunger persists add another.

-- 01 Mar 2016 16:45 --

davidam wrote:
I would strongly recommend getting a calibrated mic. Most HT room correction mics use capsules that are manufactured to be highly repeatable, but not flat. They take the mic curve and use a standard offset curve to "calibrate" the mic to the software.

When you use the mic with REW, you are not getting accurate results at all, and can potentially be off by 10's of dB's.

I also have a pro mic which came with my Velodyn DD12, it's XLR terminated. For the few extra dollars I should purchase an adapter.
Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:10 pm 

You can never have too much bass....