Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: 15" of JBL BASS love
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:21 pm
Posts: 1002
Location: Sherwood Park, AB, CA
Last year I recall reading about how adding a BASS can enhance 2 channel listening but until last weekend was a non believer. Now I cannot turn off my JBL 2235 encased in a solid/sealed 150 Lb down-fire cabinet. The extended range from 38Hz to now 20Hz (measured) affects amost every genre, sound field is more natural, the difference is like cleaning the garage windows! No replacement for displacement here either, the room has more a feel of live stage, liken to walking on a wooden floor with a heavy foot - love it.

How about cross over and gain? What do you guys recommend for overlap frequency and by how much - what is enough gain?

Matching speakers are JBL LS80.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: 15" of JBL BASS love
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:39 pm
Posts: 403
Location: Oshawa, ON, CA
I'm in your boat right now, I just got a Mirage BPS-400 behemoth to add to my Monitor Audio Golds, and man, I thought they sounded good before, but now it's just fuller like you described.

My next step is to play around with a miniDSP to tune in the bass.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: 15" of JBL BASS love
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:21 pm
Posts: 1002
Location: Sherwood Park, AB, CA
I'm now reading about the miniDSP, looks interesting and perhaps necessary to properly tune with.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: 15" of JBL BASS love
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:52 pm
Posts: 1012
Location: Montreal, QC, CA
Great drivers. Try sneaking them in at the -3db point of the LS80 (around 45hz) using a fourth order filter and work your way down from there.
Experiment with the 2235s polarities too if you havent already done so because they follow a different convention.
A 15-20hz high pass filter would also be a good idea to reduce the possibility of over excursion as the 2235 does not have an Xmax spec normally found on "true"
sub drivers.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: 15" of JBL BASS love
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:39 pm
Posts: 403
Location: Oshawa, ON, CA
polygon wrote:
I'm now reading about the miniDSP, looks interesting and perhaps necessary to properly tune with.


Do it, you won't look back, I promise.

I don't think there is a way to properly integrate a sub without. Make sure that you take multiple measurements in REW and then average it out. It's surprising how the room can influence the bass, especially when you can see it on the screen.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: 15" of JBL BASS love
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:21 pm
Posts: 1002
Location: Sherwood Park, AB, CA
Michael F wrote:
Great drivers. Try sneaking them in at the -3db point of the LS80 (around 45hz) using a fourth order filter and work your way down from there.
Experiment with the 2235s polarities too if you havent already done so because they follow a different convention.
A 15-20hz high pass filter would also be a good idea to reduce the possibility of over excursion as the 2235 does not have an Xmax spec normally found on "true"
sub drivers.



Excellent intel, thanks.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: 15" of JBL BASS love
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:21 pm
Posts: 1002
Location: Sherwood Park, AB, CA
Ordered the MiniDSP, $125 USD shipped. Hope to have it next week and then apply some EQ rules and filters:
https://www.minidsp.com/index.php?optio ... temid=1058

Cheers


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: 15" of JBL BASS love
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:23 pm
Posts: 1057
Location: Victoria, BC, CA
I love my minidsp!
Did you order a mic from them too?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: 15" of JBL BASS love
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:39 pm
Posts: 403
Location: Oshawa, ON, CA
polygon wrote:
Ordered the MiniDSP, $125 USD shipped. Hope to have it next week and then apply some EQ rules and filters:
https://www.minidsp.com/index.php?optio ... temid=1058

Cheers


I guess that you didn't know that Solen.ca sells them?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: 15" of JBL BASS love
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:21 pm
Posts: 1002
Location: Sherwood Park, AB, CA
davidam wrote:
polygon wrote:
Ordered the MiniDSP, $125 USD shipped. Hope to have it next week and then apply some EQ rules and filters:
https://www.minidsp.com/index.php?optio ... temid=1058

Cheers


I guess that you didn't know that Solen.ca sells them?

Well now that's interesting, Solens' total price is $20 less than the MFG.

MiniDSP confirmed the shipment has left China and I should have this next week. Will now begin reading the instructions and download the software.
Thanks Again :D

-- 01 Mar 2016 15:10 --

kcross wrote:
I love my minidsp!
Did you order a mic from them too?

Good to hear!
No I did not order the Mic, I have may own omni directional mic which was included with a Marantz SR6008.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: 15" of JBL BASS love
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:33 pm
Posts: 3109
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
polygon wrote:
Last year I recall reading about how adding a BASS can enhance 2 channel listening but until last weekend was a non believer. Now I cannot turn off my JBL 2235 encased in a solid/sealed 150 Lb down-fire cabinet. The extended range from 38Hz to now 20Hz (measured) affects amost every genre, sound field is more natural, the difference is like cleaning the garage windows! No replacement for displacement here either, the room has more a feel of live stage, liken to walking on a wooden floor with a heavy foot - love it.


You'll realize another level of improvement when you add a second 2235. Stereo subs are definitely the way to go!

I use a pair of JBL 2245s (the 18" version of the 2235) in one system, TAD TL-1801s in another, and have a pair of 18" OEM Eminence on the way from Audio Hardware. Hard to give up that extra dimension when you get used to it.

For a time, I used digital crossovers (DriveRack 260, DriveRack 4800) to connect the subs to the mains, but ultimately became dissatisfied with a certain "bleached" quality that extra A/D and D/A added to the feel of the music, and now am back to experimenting with analogue crossovers (Ashly XR-1001, Bryston 10B, Accuphase F25).

Of course, analogue crossovers don't have near the functionality or flexibility of digital ones, so, as always, setting up an audio system is necessarily a series of reluctant compromises. . .


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: 15" of JBL BASS love
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:39 pm
Posts: 403
Location: Oshawa, ON, CA
polygon wrote:
No I did not order the Mic, I have may own omni directional mic which was included with a Marantz SR6008.


I would strongly recommend getting a calibrated mic. Most HT room correction mics use capsules that are manufactured to be highly repeatable, but not flat. They take the mic curve and use a standard offset curve to "calibrate" the mic to the software.

When you use the mic with REW, you are not getting accurate results at all, and can potentially be off by 10's of dB's.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: 15" of JBL BASS love
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:49 pm
Posts: 344
Location: Coquitlam, BC, CA
"Like cleaning the garage windows"-classic.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: 15" of JBL BASS love
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:21 pm
Posts: 1002
Location: Sherwood Park, AB, CA
dr.joe wrote:
You'll realize another level of improvement when you add a second 2235.


2X! LOL
I'd be worried about the structural integrity of the house. First I'll master adding 1 then, if the hunger persists add another.

-- 01 Mar 2016 16:45 --

davidam wrote:
I would strongly recommend getting a calibrated mic. Most HT room correction mics use capsules that are manufactured to be highly repeatable, but not flat. They take the mic curve and use a standard offset curve to "calibrate" the mic to the software.

When you use the mic with REW, you are not getting accurate results at all, and can potentially be off by 10's of dB's.


I also have a pro mic which came with my Velodyn DD12, it's XLR terminated. For the few extra dollars I should purchase an adapter.
Thanks


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: 15" of JBL BASS love
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:08 pm
Posts: 3
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
You can never have too much bass....


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group