Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:49 pm 

cbachalo wrote:
They are ruthlessly revealing of any flaws in your system or music. IMO these sellers are probably selling the wrong component. :-)

In the right system they can sound amazing for the money.

I own 2 pairs.

Ruthlessly revealing ? I think you may have the REFERENCE series in mind. KEF's own R-100's are simply better. 2-pair you say? Ouch. At that price point, consider the Q Acoustics brand, as another poster earlier referenced. The Q-20's ?

BTW, the KEF Reference series are similarly superior to the foolish Blade's.

pj

-- 24 Jul 2017 06:51 --

allander wrote:
In my case I simply wanted to try them after reading the reviews and listening to a set of Blades. I went into it knowing it wouldn't be a long term solution as I had moved on a set of Ls35a as my area is simply to big for a stand mount. However the price point was low enough that checking them out was not lifestyle altering. I wonder how many guys approached them like this? I personally know at least 3.

My experience with them was much like other guys report, out of the box brutal. A friend and I bought them at the same time and ran pink noise through them for 200 hrs. The results were way better. He compared his to some serious competition and another league/price point entirely in Mani 2 and 3 way Harbeth's and moved them on. Mine improved and opened up dramatically after 250hrs as noticed by a number of enthusiasts including the same friend.

I love the Ls50 they have proved far more capable then the ls35a's they replaced in my space. It delivered more then what I hoped for here however for what I'm after it simply can't compete with a full range floor stander but I didn't go into it thinking it would. It was an awesome experience which is a big part of what I enjoy in this hobby.

Mine will go to another friend with the same objective who has already put his name on them and has a far more suited space.

Excellent point regarding break-in. But then , why would the identical? drive-unit R-100's sound better ?

pj

-- 24 Jul 2017 06:53 --

Mod Beat wrote:
Maybe the sellers were expecting a lot more than what they got. Keep in mind they are basically just another example of the ubiquitous box speaker. You can only do so much with this design.

You clearly haven't heard the KEF Reference 1's ! " Boxy, only so much with such a design" ? Right.

pj

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:32 pm 

I think they're great.

I downsized from a Paradigm Studio 100v5 5.1 system to a 2.1 system using KEF LS50's when my daughter was born about a year ago.

I got them for a great price, brand new from my local dealer on Black Friday and they are every bit as satisfying to me for music as my Paradigm Studio 100's were. Keep in mind the obvious difference between the two in the lower range (I use a good sub) and the output levels (I'm not in a huge room).

My room is very well treated, and the rest of the system complements the speakers very well.

To each their own, but I love these speakers.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:02 pm 

People often tire of small speakers with limited dynamic range no matter how open and coherent they might be.

I do appreciate the special kind of magic that great and good small speakers have; I attribute that to the contrast between the visual stimuli and the auditory stimuli. In other words: the small box/big sound conundrum.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:41 am 

PBB wrote:
I do appreciate the special kind of magic that great and good small speakers have; I attribute that to the contrast between the visual stimuli and the auditory stimuli. In other words: the small box/big sound conundrum.

Agreed...and I have never seen this discussed before.

People EXPECT to be impressed by boxes the size of small coffins, but are often OVERWHELMED by very good sound from small boxes.

Ask any LS3/5a owner how many times they have heard the statement, "I can't believe you're getting that quality sound out of those little boxes."

Cheers, del Sol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:09 am 

PBB wrote:
People often tire of small speakers with limited dynamic range no matter how open and coherent they might be.

Either way, there's 13 pairs of the LS50 for sale right now on CAM, that has to be some kind of indication of disenchantment. If nothing else, the LS50 fans can pick up a second pair for cheap.

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:30 am 

Maybe ... the KEF LS50 owners love them and are upgrading to the active version which are "apparently" the bomb. Rave reviews and versatility. Not just active ... but a whole "new thing".

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:55 pm 

Maybe folks just got sick of looking at them, they may sound great but they're ugly looking things.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:19 pm 
Premium User

I love the looks in titanium grey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:26 pm 

Perhaps not the ideal speaker for all day listening sessions, but if you have more than one pair of speakers...
At the used price, more than worth the try/listen. I prefer the LS50 over Reference 3a, which I've owned more than once, from Dulcet, De Capo I to Episode and Grand Veena.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:04 pm 

I just got my nearly new pair of LS50s and they are amazing sounding. Thanks to mass production and wide distribution, these are quite affordable for what you get.

I have owned LS3/5a, Proac, Linn, B&W, Focal, Monitor Audio, Rogers, Harbeth and other bookshelf designs - these are among the best.

I heard them at TAVES but they were hardly perfect in those conditions.

I have them in my large open concept family/kitchen. They are not full range but they are actually quite neutral while being very open sounding. The Harbeth P3 and LS3/5a are more natural sounding but not as open or resolving. The Proac Tablette is also more natural while being nearly as open. But these KEFs are faster and still manage to sound neutral - they are also capable of much greater detail. I have them in my TV/music system and they work great for AV - wife was watching GoT through these and really liked them. I use them for 2 channel music - got the Pat Metheny/Anna Maria Jopek cd on there and it sounds amazing.

The LS50 works well in my open space with some reinforcement from a rear wall and it took a while to find the right placement. Use a measuring tape - it helps.

I have always loved Kef speakers but spent the last 30 years being a B&W fanboy. Well these impress the heck out of me and I am so glad I now have a pair.

Despite the parallel's to the LS3/5a, they sound nothing like them so if you want BBC sound, look elsewhere. They are also not warm and neutral like Harbeth. If you want that balance with more resolution, look to Dynaudio. If you are a fan of Focals or other neutral but open designs, these are great. They are perfectly balanced with no brightness and tight articulate bass. Midrange is magic especially for strings and voices. Very nice speaker!!!