Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:57 am 

After receiving rave reviews, why are so many people parting with their KEF LS50s? Following the legendary Dynaco A-25s and possibly a few Totem model 1s, this KEF product looks like one of the most seen "upper end" speaker up for sale. Something wrong with them? Often mentioned in the ads "almost new" and "mint condition", they must have been recently purchased.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:39 am 

Possibly from impulse buying. Hype can get people interests up in a product; and while the speakers may be very good, people may find that they do not work for them in their setup.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:53 am 

I sold mine after 4 weeks. Pretty flat and boxy sounding with poor tone. I thought the Q Acoustics 20s, although lacking in deep, articulated bass, were much better over all.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:59 am 

Patient tweaking -- careful positioning, setup, matching and possibly room treatment are the only way to get the best out of any speaker.

No speaker is a magic trick. If you buy some because of rave reviews, you may be disappointed if you ignore the other factors which let them sound up to their potential.

Actually, many products suffer the fate described here, after a successful introduction. They then pop up like mushrooms in the "lightly used" market. A good design may then all but disappear from the second-hand sites. You almost never see any version of the Triangle Titus these days, but for a while they were not hard to find.

Audio is very subject to fads. Just like education, if I may say so here.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:28 am 

People thought they could get a significant portion of The Blade for a fraction of the price.

That is exactly what they got ... unfortunately for them.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:52 am 

I think they sound sweet under the right conditions. Up close and personal, with a gutsy clean amp.

Things sound different when the come home and your trying to fill a listening room.

I found that with my R300's.

After I returned them, for a larger footprint speaker, I still questioned myself time to time when I got the chance to relisten to them upclose and personal at the local shop (again) while they were providing background music.

The mids and highs on the Kef's are lifelike, sweet to die for. Bass is impressive as well; however, in my set up (3 different amps used) they could not recreate in that enviroment. Thats because:
-I am not upclose and personal
-my room is bigger
-I have furnishings I choose to live with
-My music collection varies; they are not all losseless perfect audiophile recordings...

Its because real-life is different...for many.

BTW; I am certain many have the ideal set-up for them and are just raving and beaming about them as well.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:54 am 

Because it is not the LS3/5a KEF tried to pay homage to?

May be people didn't put them on a pair of good stands?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:03 am 

classic recordings wrote:
Possibly from impulse buying. Hype can get people interests up in a product; and while the speakers may be very good, people may find that they do not work for them in their setup.

+1
there is only one private sale on audiogon and 3 here on Cam. but also 2 wanted on cam. I think at one point a couple years after it came out, there were double digit ads for the benchmark dac....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:25 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

With any popular speaker where a lot are sold, you're just bound to have more for sale on the used market. Also, I don't know what the break-in period is like on them, but definitely some could be jumping the gun too soon and selling well before they're fully broken-in.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:35 am 

Mainly because we tend to drink the "sales & marketing" Kool-Aid.

And quite frankly, dealers do the same. As such, this is a perfect example of the result.

Can't wait for the next big thing... :shock:

Happy Listening,
Francis R. :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:35 am 

Of all the audio components, the speakers are the only component which may work super in one system and may have one's ears bleed in another.

Why? Because they are in two or more different listening rooms and environment.

I feel that it is important to check with the seller if it is ok to try it in your system for a day or two to see if they work well in your system and setup.

To the original poster, I did bring this up in another thread here on CAM regarding many LS50 for sale on CAM and other websites.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:10 am 

They are ruthlessly revealing of any flaws in your system or music. IMO these sellers are probably selling the wrong component. :-)

In the right system they can sound amazing for the money.

I own 2 pairs.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:11 am 

In my case I simply wanted to try them after reading the reviews and listening to a set of Blades. I went into it knowing it wouldn't be a long term solution as I had moved on a set of Ls35a as my area is simply to big for a stand mount. However the price point was low enough that checking them out was not lifestyle altering. I wonder how many guys approached them like this? I personally know at least 3.

My experience with them was much like other guys report, out of the box brutal. A friend and I bought them at the same time and ran pink noise through them for 200 hrs. The results were way better. He compared his to some serious competition and another league/price point entirely in Mani 2 and 3 way Harbeth's and moved them on. Mine improved and opened up dramatically after 250hrs as noticed by a number of enthusiasts including the same friend.

I love the Ls50 they have proved far more capable then the ls35a's they replaced in my space. It delivered more then what I hoped for here however for what I'm after it simply can't compete with a full range floor stander but I didn't go into it thinking it would. It was an awesome experience which is a big part of what I enjoy in this hobby.

Mine will go to another friend with the same objective who has already put his name on them and has a far more suited space.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:20 am 
Premium User

allander wrote:
It delivered more then what I hoped for here however for what I'm after it simply can't compete with a full range floor stander but I didn't go into it thinking it would.

Good point. Often people will buy something like this expecting a full range experience instead of appreciating a smaller speaker for it's qualities. Even when they were the flavor of the month I never took a pair home because I prefer full range and knew they would be up for sale in a month.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:24 am 

Maybe the sellers were expecting a lot more than what they got. Keep in mind they are basically just another example of the ubiquitous box speaker. You can only do so much with this design.