Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:37 am 

xxx

Last edited by goose on Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:39 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

Double S to Québec city

http://magazine-audio.com/actualite/reportages/118

Web site : http://www.double-s-audio.ca

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:20 am 

http://www.tetraspeakers.com/pages/whosListening.html

I spent many hours listening to some of the original prototypes some years back and they were a truly impressive speaker. There is a reason that these are becoming the choice of musicians and engineers of the highest caliber.

The owners/designers of this company are true hardcore passion driven audio nuts and the president A. Butts has one of the finest sets of ears I've ever encountered.

They have a nice website and it can't hurt to take a quick look :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:08 pm 

binarywhisper wrote:
http://www.tetraspeakers.com/pages/whosListening.html

I spent many hours listening to some of the original prototypes some years back and they were a truly impressive speaker. There is a reason that these are becoming the choice of musicians and engineers of the highest caliber.

The owners/designers of this company are true hardcore passion driven audio nuts and the president A. Butts has one of the finest sets of ears I've ever encountered.

They have a nice website and it can't hurt to take a quick look :)

Where are dealers for this product? I've never had the opportunity to listen but have heard good things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:21 pm 

There are no dealers. They sell direct to buyers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:49 pm 

Raw Acoustics closed their business on Jan. 01, 2009: :(

http://www.rawacoustics.com/index.php

Here is a list of Canadian speaker makers from audioasylum:

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/speakers/messages/208547.html

And I'd like to add:

ArE Audio
http://www.areaudio.com/

Planet10-HiFi
http://www.planet10-hifi.com/

Morrison Audio
http://www.morrisonaudio.com/

Last edited by rocshang on Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:56 pm 

Delete

Last edited by dungvn on Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:29 pm 

[quote="binarywhisper"]http://www.tetraspeakers.com/pages/whosListening.html

There is a reason that these are becoming the choice of musicians and engineers of the highest caliber. [quote]

I'm not knocking Tetra but these musicians and studio cats get all or most of their endorsed gear for FREE and get paid to endorse it. Anything being plugged buy any famous people makes me suspect right off the bat. I'd be more inclined to take the word of some guy that spent his kid's college fund on a set of speakers over any paid endorsees. That's passion and not a paycheck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:24 pm 

This should be an interesting thread. I think I recall seeing another similar such thread about Canadian Audio Manufacturers in general but this one is obviously more specific.

I've often wondered if it would even be worthwhile starting up a loudspeaker manufacturing concern here in Canada. It seems that there are enough existing Canadian loudspeaker manufacturers to feed the ever shrinking marketplace of people who'd care to buy a high quality pair. If another quality manufacturer came around, who'd buy? Is there room for one? It would seem like an uphill battle all the way, even in a good economy. Less people, increasingly discriminating, wanting more and more performance & finishing for less and less money. It doesn't look like a promising marketplace. Quite the opposite to selling something for a dollar which cost 25 cents routinely a few million times over. Once upon a time in the 70's you could sell anything hi-fi related as the stereo system demand outstripped the supply. Everyone wanted one.

In order to make such a business pay, perhaps keeping it small and making products to order would work, at least as a starting point. Even with success it would likely be a lukewarm pinnacle. I'd like to see Gershman Acoustics (or any other small Canadian manufacturer) balance sheet & financial statement to see exactly how much they pull out of this business.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:47 pm 

Tetra speakers are certainly not a name that many of heard of. I can however, say with certainty, that the owner of the company does not give away his speakers to get an endorsement from celebrities. Perhaps you are referring yo a number of speaker companies that reside south of the border and advertise heavily in certain audio magazines.

Musicians like Tetra speakers because they sound great. Oh , I almost forgot -----Tetra gave away a pair of speakers last year to an organization that raises funds for breast cancer. They were auctioned off (at more than their retail price) and the proceeds went to a very good cause. This is not the only time Tetra speakers have been auctioned off to help out a worthwhile cause. And it probably won't be the last.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:17 am 

mrvinyl wrote:
Tetra speakers are certainly not a name that many of heard of. I can however, say with certainty, that the owner of the company does not give away his speakers to get an endorsement from celebrities. Perhaps you are referring yo a number of speaker companies that reside south of the border and advertise heavily in certain audio magazines.

I was generalizing and should have been more specific. But being involved in the recording industry one knows that the companies give away gear and pay people to endorse their gear. You are probably correct about companies south of the border. If these companies didn't give away a lot of gear or advertise so much, imagine how affordable some of the gear would be.

That being said, I still do not trust any type of celebrity endorsement whether it be paid or not. I just don't trust their opinions when it is linked to selling a product.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:35 am 

Coco

You make a valid point in the sense that the speaker maker does not really or should not need to feel they need to get the endoresement of a celebrity to sell their product. Just because X celebrity likes it still doesn't mean YOU will like it - and that goes for reviewers too.

Virtually every audio manufacturer though does post reviews of their gear on their website or print brochures and so putting up celebrities is not really much different. It's tough to get your name out there with thousands of speaker makers competing with you.

But there are many marketing approaches that some makers "highlight" and other makers ignore. For instance some makers will offer long warranties to attract while others will repair products well out of warranty to make customers happy and in turn will give the story on a forum that "hey the speaker is 4 years out of warranty and they fixed it for free anyway - what a great company. Others will give in home trials - most will do this anyway - but some advertise the heck out of it.

Others will post famous recording studios, famous musicians, actors, etc.

I don't think Tetra is doing anything wrong or misleading - I think they're trying to get their stuff recognized but they do run the risk of turning some people off, because if you're going to use musicians to sell your product then you need a pretty big list - I would prefer to see classical composers and not guys who did tons of drugs and listened at 115db - 140db 300 days a year with screaming electric guitars for 40 years.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:14 pm 

(deleted)

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:26 pm 

RGA wrote:
Coco

You make a valid point in the sense that the speaker maker does not really or should not need to feel they need to get the endoresement of a celebrity to sell their product. Just because X celebrity likes it still doesn't mean YOU will like it - and that goes for reviewers too.

Virtually every audio manufacturer though does post reviews of their gear on their website or print brochures and so putting up celebrities is not really much different. It's tough to get your name out there with thousands of speaker makers competing with you.

But there are many marketing approaches that some makers "highlight" and other makers ignore. For instance some makers will offer long warranties to attract while others will repair products well out of warranty to make customers happy and in turn will give the story on a forum that "hey the speaker is 4 years out of warranty and they fixed it for free anyway - what a great company. Others will give in home trials - most will do this anyway - but some advertise the heck out of it.

Others will post famous recording studios, famous musicians, actors, etc.

I don't think Tetra is doing anything wrong or misleading - I think they're trying to get their stuff recognized but they do run the risk of turning some people off, because if you're going to use musicians to sell your product then you need a pretty big list - I would prefer to see classical composers and not guys who did tons of drugs and listened at 115db - 140db 300 days a year with screaming electric guitars for 40 years.

Bryston?
ONE year warranty.......
NO
As has been posted a few times here, Bryston has gone beyond TWENTY TEARS on their warranties.......

Step up to the plate AN......

"tons of drugs"
You are a sinking ship........

Take a look at the reviewers on Dagogo.......

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:19 pm 

Axiom audio bind in Ontario

http://www.axiomaudio.com/index2.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next