Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 7:08 am 

I can't find any feedback and reviews on the Totem Element Fire.
Your comments will be very appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:14 pm 

My faves were cheapos, but good....TEAC S-300. They were tiny and you need a sub if you wanted some decent bass but the sound jumped out of these things like stink. Incredible imaging for such an inexpensive piece of kit.

I think the same can be said for most of their "high end" stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:29 pm 

The best bookshelf speaker that I have personally heard and owned were my Dynaudio Special Twenty Fives (The 15th Anniversary North American Editions) they were also the nicest speakers I have ever seen as the fit and finish on them was outstanding! I really miss them them and truly regret letting them go! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 170.75 KiB | Viewed 1196 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:51 pm 

I have to agree with MrA on this one. The Raidho D-1 are spooky good.

The best I have personally owned were B&W Matrix 805's.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:43 pm 

....those Raidhos are pretty special !.....but after 20+ years,the original Proac Response 2s still get the job done right for me.....only if mated with RS2 stands.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:16 am 

Proac 1sc now replaced by 1sd. Holographic imaging, but need an expensive fast sub to fill in the bottom end

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:39 am 

thxdude wrote:
The best bookshelf speaker that I have personally heard and owned were my Dynaudio Special Twenty Fives (The 15th Anniversary North American Editions) they were also the nicest speakers I have ever seen as the fit and finish on them was outstanding! I really miss them them and truly regret letting them go! :cry: :cry: :cry:

In my top ten for bookshelfs for sure. The Dyn C1's are right there as well but there was something really 'special' about the 25's.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:16 am 

how many pairs of $15k+ bookshelves get sold per year is my question?... for real, does anyone have that answer?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:24 am 

robertro wrote:
Not sure if OP wanted bookshelf, but most posters have posted stand-mounted away-from-wall speakers.

I've always wondered - why stand-mounted speakers?

It seems to me that the only advantages are that it is cheaper for manufacturers to make a small box and put it on a stand than make a taller box, and cheaper for them to transport it to your local retail outlet. For the user, they are perhaps easier to move (though a speaker and stand aren't really that convenient either. Otherwise, they are swimming upstream against simple physics, sacrificing frequency response, distortion, efficiency, and/or power handling.

I can understand accepting those compromises for bookshelf speakers that are meant to be wall-mounted or shelf-mounted, and save space. But it seems that once you put a speaker on a stand and move it away from the wall, you end up taking up the space of a floor-mount speaker, with none of the advantages. I put speakers on stands in the same category as rear-ported speakers, fun from an engineering-to-constraints point of view, great for the makers' bottom line, but ultimately a major audio compromise.

Maybe this is a separate thread...this thread just brought the question up for me.

I agree about the stand mount comment, why do you say rear ported is a design compromise?

Oh and the ref3a eats the harbeths like King Kong gobbling a banana. Kind of different sounds really. Ref3a sounds much more lifelike to me.

Raidhos I heard at the show left me underwhelmed. They were good but I didn't think they were better than most 5k speakers. I think that they can never deliver what the price leads me to expect.

Devores were really good, I'd take them over the raidho any day!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:36 am 

The Raidho's were best of show at Taves IMO. Incredibly low distortion, nothing for the brain to fill in, just clear unadulterated reproduction of music. Beautiful.

Just stupidly expensive.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:53 am 

Erik wrote:
The Raidho's were best of show at Taves IMO. Incredibly low distortion, nothing for the brain to fill in, just clear unadulterated reproduction of music. Beautiful.

Just stupidly expensive.

Really! For me not at all! I guess it depends on what you heard them playing and what you value yada, yada...
I found the single driver with the macallister electronics nicer and the other single driver next to Audioeden powered by the master sound, forget the names,
Ymmv
Raidho didn't go low enough, not enough scale as Marc mc would say.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:01 am 

Yeah, I know some that say there was too much detail, so they could not focus on the music. To me, that is really easy to get used to.

I understand that horns can be very uncoloured as well, and should provide better scale.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:29 am 

If you count stand mount ones there are a few :D But one of them is the B&W Silver Signature (stand mount).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:54 am 

b1zxuv98 wrote:
I can't find any feedback and reviews on the Totem Element Fire.
Your comments will be very appreciated.

I bought the Totem Element Fire 2 months ago.
I am loving these speakers. Very revealing...any change in your system is blatantly obvious.
Great imaging.
They have an amazing ability as you turn the volume up....the tonal balance does not change (relative to any other speaker I've heard). Very little compression also.
Accurate.
Long break in period.
Highly recommended.

PM me if you want to chat more about them!

Jon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:18 pm 

VOLENT VL2,
USHER BE 718 DIAMOND.
Sound Dynamics 300 Ti.
For bang for the buck....NHT Absolute Zero.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next