Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:02 pm 

I haven't owned many bookshelf speakers and I'm sure I've heard a few good ones over the last 45 years or so at audio shows and hi fi shops. I liked the Spendor SA 1 based on the (LS35A) also the Spica SC50. I owned the Spica TC50 the only drawback to the TC50 was a lack of deep bass. I had a pair of Wharfedale 505 and really enjoyed them. If lack of space was a concern I'd look at Wharfedale because they always manage to build quality regardless of budget. I owned another great speaker in the early eighties These were from the Swedish company QLN, paired with a single passive QLN 8" subwoofer.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:42 am 

I am quite happy with my Devine Audio Ref monitors.. with s.s or tube amps sound great! Canadian Company.. :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:22 am 

LS35A is the best small room bookshelf I've heard.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:28 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

Harbeth Monitor 30.1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:31 am 

Raidho's would probably be my number 1, but I haven't heard them in a few years and what I heard was not long enough to confirm. The best I have had real experience with are AVI DM10's.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:47 am 

I recently purchased a pair of the Harbeth Monitor 30.1s. They suit my tastes very well but I can see were they may not suit those that listen to loud dance music or loud rock. I am listening to them playing Mozart at the moment.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:30 am 

Haven't owned any expensive bookshelfs / stand mounts but have had a few pairs of decent ones. Here is from first to worst remembering that it's all about personal taste. And when I say worst it's only in comparison to the others. The DreamCatchers are still a giggle.

1 Totem Model One Signature
2 Harbeth P3ESR
3 Bryston Mini T
4 Totem Mani 2 Signiture
5 Harbeth SHL5
6 Paradigm Studio 10 v5
7 Totem DreamCatchers

I listen to a lot of classical and Jazz / Blues but if I listened to more rock the list would quickly change to : Bryston Mini T, Totem Mani 2, Totem Model one, Totem DreamCatchers and I'd go back to the dealer and buy a pair of Monitor Audio Gold 100's which I still regret not buying cause they'll make ya giggle if you like bass and a silky smooth delivery in a small pretty package that sounds much bigger than it is. I know there are a lot of other great small speakers out there but I haven't heard them so there ya go.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:06 am 

I looked at the thread and I said Dyns C1's four years ago. And guess what, I'm going to say the same thing today. All a question of power/current for these guys. Give them the juice, they are thirsty. End-of-game speakers for me.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:53 am 

I'll cheat a little, and say these are the most beautiful bookshelf speakers I have seen. The Franco Serblin Lignea. They are really a bookshelf with built in stand.

I will give an honorable mention to the Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 in walnut, because I own them and think they are beautiful.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:35 am 

That is cheating. How are you going to get those on a bookshelf ?!

Scudder wrote:
I'll cheat a little, and say these are the most beautiful bookshelf speakers I have seen. The Franco Serblin Lignea. They are really a bookshelf with built in stand.

As well, there is certainly a very good reason why you can't take those off their stands : the sound would suffer.

It seems to me that when small speakers get very high-quality, the environment, and the speakers' interface with it, become more important to the sonic results than any aspect of the speaker's own design.

Those stands affect the bass anomaly that is caused by the sound waves' arrival at the floor. Room placement will also affect bass, as well as the depth and precision of the soundstage.

Placement on an actual bookshelf is likely to limit most small speakers's performance to something less than their best. So I wonder if the thread title isn't an oxymoron, at least when applied to most of the speakers posted here. Even the Raidho D-1 in the original topic post can't be separated from its stand, and still play at the level it's meant to.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:06 am 

I'v owned the Harbeth 30.1, but would not consider it a bookshelf speaker. The do sound nice, but definitely have a personality that favours certain types of music.

One of my all time favourites is the Aerial 5/5b. A little rolled off on the top end, but oh so smooth.

Currently I am really enjoying the Atohm GT1. First with a McIntosh/Blue Circle combo, and now with Devialet. Probably the most neutral speaker I've heard, with lots of air and detail.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:00 pm 

meiwan wrote:
One of my all time favourites is the Aerial 5/5b. A little rolled off on the top end, but oh so smooth.

Do you prefer one over the other?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:47 pm 

Used to own EPI100, excellent sound for the money to this day; IMF super compact, mellow and nice balance within its limit, good match to highly analytical DAC of today; Braun L630 - still use it for late night listening before midnight, mid range not as romantic as LS3/5A, but still magic, if my memory serves me correctly, smoother transition from mid to high than 3A Master Control, although the L630 does not go as high and dip as low as the 3A.

Attachments:
Braun_L630.JPG
Braun_L630.JPG [ 135.59 KiB | Viewed 221 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:35 pm 

KEF 201/2

Attachments:
1337286-kef-reference-2012-piano-black.jpg
1337286-kef-reference-2012-piano-black.jpg [ 174.23 KiB | Viewed 197 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:16 am 

No .. they are not Raidho's ,, but these little Model 1 Sigs sure are a delightful listen :)

Attachments:
IMG_1691.JPG
IMG_1691.JPG [ 294.36 KiB | Viewed 151 times ]
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8