Canuck Audio MartCanuck Audio Mart
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:49 pm 

Found a great condition used pair of these for $800 (USD) locally. I have a Peachtree Nova DAC/amp, which I currently have hooked up with Epos ELS3 bookshelves. I haven't really been impressed with this setup, so I decided it was time for a real step up in speakers to show me what the Nova is capable of. Would this combo work well?

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:18 pm 

No.
The peachtree is a good source and switch, but gutless.

Look at speakers at around 98DB efficient.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:18 pm 

Hm, I thought at their db level (91) that I'd only need 20 watts to power them. I'd also been told they're very efficient. Can anyone confirm what yournamehere is saying? Thanks

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:21 pm 

If you never have the need to crank up the tunes, and have a small room, it may be fine.

I heard Peachtree twice, both times it was lacking power.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:40 pm 

rbf1138 wrote:
Found a great condition used pair of these for $800 (USD) locally. I have a Peachtree Nova DAC/amp, which I currently have hooked up with Epos ELS3 bookshelves. I haven't really been impressed with this setup, so I decided it was time for a real step up in speakers to show me what the Nova is capable of. Would this combo work well?

I'm going to go out on a limb here & offer a definitive 'yes' to your inquiry. Take your amp with you to demo the speakers if that is possible. Right then & there you will be able to tell if any synergy exists between the amp and speakers. If & when you get it home, and the aforementioned 'gutless' condition of your amp rears it's head, you could always invest in a separate power amp, as your Peachtree Nova can be used as a preamp. Either way, thanks for asking & welcome to CAM.

Attachments:
THE WISERHOOD.jpg
THE WISERHOOD.jpg [ 191.99 KiB | Viewed 1361 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:25 pm 

I can,t coment on the synergy between the Peachtree and the PSBs but I do own the T6 towers and drive them with a Creek Destiny with 100 rms and I love the sound. The price is one third of what you might pay here.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:43 am 

rbf1138 wrote:
Hm, I thought at their db level (91) that I'd only need 20 watts to power them. I'd also been told they're very efficient. Can anyone confirm what yournamehere is saying? Thanks

Yournamehere is correct...it lacks 'oomph'. Speakers over 95db if you can but that does limit your choices. I personally would not recommend the PSB's with the Peachtree. Try the Tannoy Mercury V4's...a slim tower that comes in close to 92db. Decent sound.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:08 am 

I think the problem with running full range speakers and a 'desktop' amp will be getting the bottom end to open up. From my experience bookshelf speakers work best because the amp doesn't have to deliver the current to the bigger drivers. I suspect things will sound muddy. But who knows unless you try it.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:22 am 

but note, PSB's can be a bit fat in the low end by design and hot up top, my experience. I would bring your amp, small enough to do so and try it out.

Might just be surprised and if you like the sound, that's what's important.

A