Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 332 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:37 pm 

Bandy wrote:
Most Magnepan owners will never be satisfied with box speakers any longer. I believe Magnepan claims 80% return customers, more than any other speaker manufacturer out there.

Think about this, in box speaker roughly 70% of the manufacturing cost goes to the box, not the drivers. Planars like Maggies 70% is the drivers, rest the panel.

Imagine if the weight of your car was 70% motor?

Oh, my.... :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:29 pm 

Maggies are very very nice speakers! I owned a pair many years ago, they are not that hard to set up but do need some space like any other speaker.I used them with all kinds of music and they never let me down.The only thing that they lacked for me was detail, that said the newer versions probably are much better than the pair I had.Bass was never a problem either as I am not a bass junky but never thought they lacked bass again when set up properly.The room I have now is to small but if I had the space I would have another pair, currently using Hawthorne ob drivers in custom baffles which are amazing.Sadly Hawthorne went out of business, if you ever get a chance to hear a good ob speaker do it they are like combining a planer speaker with a box speaker and you will need a sub if they don't have an additional bass driver.Maggies will always be near the top of speakers I could live with for a long time.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:36 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

ripblade wrote:
Bandy wrote:
Most Magnepan owners will never be satisfied with box speakers any longer. I believe Magnepan claims 80% return customers, more than any other speaker manufacturer out there.

Think about this, in box speaker roughly 70% of the manufacturing cost goes to the box, not the drivers. Planars like Maggies 70% is the drivers, rest the panel.

Imagine if the weight of your car was 70% motor?

Oh, my.... :shock:
Having met Wendell Diller... The claim of customer retention may be optimistic. And 70% manufacturing cost into the box?! Wow, it's a good thing you don't build speakers for a living. That being said most manufactures on Earth buy they're drivers from companies that specialize in building drivers (Eaton, SEAS, Vifa etc) so they send a spec to the driver company and presto... Drivers appropriate for the task... I will not belabor this post with personal bias, but in the past few decades I have owned an assortment of Magnapan's with the same coclusion every time in my case... Great speaker for those who like them.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:24 pm 
Premium User

smhifi wrote:
I will not belabor this post with personal bias, but in the past few decades I have owned an assortment of Magnapan's with the same coclusion every time in my case... Great speaker for those who like them.

Having owned different Magnepan's over the years I came to a similar conclusion. Great speakers (loved the 3.6R) but they certainly an acquired taste. The diversity of systems on this site is proof enough that not everyone prefers Maggies for the $$$

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:18 am 

smhifi wrote:
Great speaker for those who like them.

That is so true ... of any brand.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:13 am 

Don't think anything can be called objectively the best in the subjective world of hifi..

Having said that, I do use MMG in one of my systems. When paired with the right amplifier, this MMG can be very versatile. For the money I paid (I bought it new from Magnepan when CAD was about at par with USD) it's really an excellent deal. While it does some of the things really well (e.g. sense of depth of the sound stage, natural feeling of the midrange.....), it also has some short comings (e.g. bass response of a bookshelf type of speaker, resolution....). It shines on some recordings and can barely listenable on some....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:36 am 

And if you have the room.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:27 am 

smhifi wrote:
Wendell Diller... The claim of customer retention may be optimistic. And 70% manufacturing cost into the box?! Wow, it's a good thing you don't build speakers for a living. That being said most manufactures on Earth buy they're drivers from companies that specialize in building drivers (Eaton, SEAS, Vifa etc) so they send a spec to the driver company and presto... Drivers appropriate for the task... I will not belabor this post with personal bias, but in the past few decades I have owned an assortment of Magnapan's with the same coclusion every time in my case... Great speaker for those who like them.

So Wendell Diller told you different ?

I guess it also depends how their marketing people want to define customer retention.

I have had Maggies in the house for over 30 years now. I have also had other speakers and my current1.6s are boxed pending my determining why they started to buzz on some bass material .... de-lamination? So right now I settle for conventional boxes.

I don't go for the baloney that they are somehow deficient in the bass. The bass is uncolored and tight. Many box speakers with similar attributes are often described as deficient in the bass. For deeper or more powerful bass get a subwoofer or 2.

Depending on the model the dynamic bandwidth is somewhat limited - they lose resolution at lower listening levels and do not do well at the sort of volumes that will damage your hearing - hence the myth they are not a 'rock speaker'.

That it is best to move them well out into a room to get the best from them is a disadvantage if room size and decor aesthetics aren't quite right. For over 30 years I have moved them to a specific location for sit down listening and that is getting wearing and it has always reduced the time I could have been listening. There are trade offs that's for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:54 am 

kanwingshing wrote:
Don't think anything can be called objectively the best in the subjective world of hifi...

Exactly! Many hi-fi brands and technologies have their loyalists.

As for what is best for the $$, there's always an easy and reliable answer to that: the speakers you enjoy the most.

I myself wouldn't have Magnepans in one of my systems even if you gave them to me.

But that's not a statement about the quality or value of Magnepans—that's an illustration of my listening preferences in relation to the specific compromises that Magnepans make. As opposed, that is, to the compromises made by the speakers I prefer.

Now back to Fatoumata Diawara and Grouch in Dub, courtesy of Tannoy SuperDual (mid-highs) and JBL (bass)...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:29 pm 

dr.joe wrote:
kanwingshing wrote:
Don't think anything can be called objectively the best in the subjective world of hifi...

Exactly! Many hi-fi brands and technologies have their loyalists.

As for what is best for the $$, there's always an easy and reliable answer to that: the speakers you enjoy the most.

I myself wouldn't have Magnepans in one of my systems even if you gave them to me.

But that's not a statement about the quality or value of Magnepans—that's an illustration of my listening preferences in relation to the specific compromises that Magnepans make. As opposed, that is, to the compromises made by the speakers I prefer.

Now back to Fatoumata Diawara and Grouch in Dub, courtesy of Tannoy SuperDual (mid-highs) and JBL (bass)...

Valid points. Except one. JBL makes speakers that have bass? Lol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:50 am 

Bandy

You make a valid point. JBL’s have more bass. But for me, quality over quantity every time.. I’ve never been a fan of boom boxes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:22 am 

kanwingshing wrote:
Don't think anything can be called objectively the best in the subjective world of hifi..

Having said that, I do use MMG in one of my systems. When paired with the right amplifier, this MMG can be very versatile. For the money I paid (I bought it new from Magnepan when CAD was about at par with USD) it's really an excellent deal. While it does some of the things really well (e.g. sense of depth of the sound stage, natural feeling of the midrange.....), it also has some short comings (e.g. bass response of a bookshelf type of speaker, resolution....). It shines on some recordings and can barely listenable on some....

Sure you can call things "the best".

Want efficiency? Horns are "the best".
Want clarity? Low distortion with limited negative feedback is "the best".
Want low Maintenance? SS is "the best".

I could go on, but those things are obvious.

Want "the best" sound? THAT is personal taste. So for the $, is Magnepan the best? No. There are significant downsides to them.... eg. space from walls.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:32 am 

Erik

Your point as stated is correct. And that same point has been repeated over and over and over...
I wrote this thread many years ago... At that time one could get a pair of used Magnepans for $300-400. And that was the point. For the “money,” and in “my”opinion, dollar for dollar Magnepan was a very good value. Especially if great midrange was their goal..

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:11 pm 

Absolutely true. They have great mids for the money, if you have the space.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:50 pm 

wow , 11 years and this thread is still going , someone should start a" Grado cartridges are the best" thread :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 332 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next