Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:33 am 

zon001 wrote:
he was the original owner. and his wife could not stand them anymore. she wanted them OUT.
he bought some new smaller sonus faber. I am sure these don t use any protection circuit.
I add castle that usec a fuse on tweeters. always blown . I buypass them fuses. put a scan speak woofer capable of handling 3 time more power. absolutely no problem. and it NOW handles 150 watt .
I add kef 105.4 same thing protection circuit was always triping. those used a spring leaf type of braker.on all drivers.
I bend back that spring to give more tension. no more problem.
bought some 105 same thing . fuse was rusted, as with the fuse older. tweeter was distorting. clean them up an gone was the distorsion. but also they add a protection circuit in the x over. well those were triping at about 130 watt. they were rated at 200 watt. I have read most user buy pass that circuit.
also my B/W 801 power handling 600 watt, and some years where advertised to handle unlimited power.well these actually start acting at about 300 watt. come back after a few second, but keep triping after ward every time you crank back the power.
so to me those are not improving sound, and i can even say in some case the opposite. and many need servicing after a while.
I rather not have any of these protection circuit in the signal path.

I only see one common denominator here....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:37 am 

brownslane wrote:
zon001 wrote:
he was the original owner. and his wife could not stand them anymore. she wanted them OUT.
he bought some new smaller sonus faber. I am sure these don t use any protection circuit.
I add castle that usec a fuse on tweeters. always blown . I buypass them fuses. put a scan speak woofer capable of handling 3 time more power. absolutely no problem. and it NOW handles 150 watt .
I add kef 105.4 same thing protection circuit was always triping. those used a spring leaf type of braker.on all drivers.
bought some 105 same thing . fuse was rusted, as with the fuse older. tweeter was distorting. clean them up an gone was the distorsion. but also they add a protection circuit in the x over. well those were triping at about 130 watt. they were rated at 200 watt. I have read most user buy pass that circuit.
also my B/W 801 power handling 600 watt, and some years where advertised to handle unlimited power.well these actually start acting at about 300 watt. come back after a few second, but keep triping after ward every time you crank back the power.
so to me those are not improving sound, and i can even say in some case the opposite. and many need servicing after a while.

This is ridiculous!
Is it not obvious that the OP needs some powered commercial speakers, made for 110 db.
I seriously pity whoever buys his used speakers!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:41 pm 

kcross wrote:
brownslane wrote:
zon001 wrote:

This is ridiculous!
Is it not obvious that the OP needs some powered commercial speakers, made for 110 db.
I seriously pity whoever buys his used speakers!

those speaker should be capable of about 115 D/B, actually they put out 109 D/B at 125 watt and these can handle around 600 watt according to Focal. commercial speaker , like the ones I have downstair (jbl) actually push 97 D/B /watt/meter.
so that mean that they only need 20 watt to achieve 110 D/b many like it that way , small tube amp driving big speaker. but me I don t want some shouwty horn up my ears when close monitoring. every ones is intitle to is own taste in sounds.some like it low in volume , me I'm the opposite type.
so if you would know more, you would also know these wilson are perfectly capable of achieving what I aiming for, and MORE, without any issue.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:48 pm 
Premium User

zon001 wrote:
reaching well over 120D/B and going down to around 16 hz. that one really rock.
the Wilson set up is for everyday listening but still want it to reach at less 110 D/B that is my confort zone.

I would feel bad not posting this for anyone reading the thread that might not be aware of sound levels and hearing damage

http://dangerousdecibels.org/education/ ... uidelines/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:15 pm 

zon001 wrote:
those speaker should be capable of about 115 D/B, actually they put out 109 D/B at 125 watt and these can handle around 600 watt according to Focal. commercial speaker , like the ones I have downstair (jbl) actually push 97 D/B /watt/meter.
so that mean that they only need 20 watt to achieve 110 D/b many like it that way , small tube amp driving big speaker. but me I don t want some shouwty horn up my ears when close monitoring. every ones is intitle to is own taste in sounds.some like it low in volume , me I'm the opposite type.
so if you would know more, you would also know these wilson are perfectly capable of achieving what I aiming for, and MORE, without any issue.

115db and up close monitoring = Hearing damage in a hurry

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:06 pm 

every rock concert I went to ALL exceed 110 D/B pink Floyd , genesis, and a lot more. I am not talking here Diana krall in at place des arts at aprox. 102 D/b that is what I like loud and clear with bass that actually hit you like a brick.
SO thank you for your concern , but my earing is still very good after all of those 40 years of loud music. I can even tell you that . in all of my audioaulic friend , I'm always one of the first , to notice sound anomalies from auditioning undreds of different stereo demoed.
and second this hole tread is about Wilson audio speaker with protection circuit .
do YOU have Wilson speaker or speaker with protection divices.
so I would like to ear from owners of Wilson witt 2 speaker owner, or anybody that have protection circuit in there speaker.
I would like to know if they find them annoying? or if they give them problem.
I know I am very happy to get rid of these fuses resistors, NOW I can enjoy my speaker.
if you have Wilson witt check those fuses under bottom of speaker, you might be surprised to see , you might have a few blown ones.
thank god manufacturer don t use them much anymore, except for those limiters they put into active monitor, wich I will ne ver buy. people that buy muscle cars always fallow speed limit > ya wright.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:33 pm 
Premium User

To each his own I guess but I guarantee you at those listening levels your hearing is not good. This is coming from a previous Wilson Sophia 2 owner and someone now in possession of fire breathing dragons that can reach those levels but would never need to and never will for the sake of my ears.

Party on and enjoy the tunes all the same!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:58 pm 

how did you like your Sophia. where were the fuses situated. hopefully not under the cabinet like mine, did you ever tested them resistors?
I find my witt 2 have a solid bass. you can throw anything at it and the woofer is always in control. I listen to insane clown posy dvd audio and there is some serious bass note that can crush most subwoofer, and yet these focal woofer can take it like nothing, even at 200 watt the woofer barely move. they can take serious power and very low extended bass notes. the only thing I would have used a better midrange. even though those Seas cheap $60 midrange can still play nice, if I was to upgrade them , I would use a scan speak revelator midrange , specialy for electric guitar, and tom or snare drum. I feel that is where it could improve a little bit more.my dynaudio where a more articulate, in those area. as for cabinet construction. they are perfect.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:46 am 

Hi, I'm in Brazil and I have speakers wilson audio witt 1. I need to make the exchange of the resistors and I would like to know what the corresponding and all specifications are for this model. Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:42 pm 

zon001 wrote:
every rock concert I went to ALL exceed 110 D/B pink Floyd , genesis, and a lot more. I am not talking here Diana krall in at place des arts at aprox. 102 D/b that is what I like loud and clear with bass that actually hit you like a brick.
SO thank you for your concern , but my earing is still very good after all of those 40 years of loud music. I can even tell you that . in all of my audioaulic friend , I'm always one of the first , to notice sound anomalies from auditioning undreds of different stereo demoed.
and second this hole tread is about Wilson audio speaker with protection circuit .
do YOU have Wilson speaker or speaker with protection divices.
so I would like to ear from owners of Wilson witt 2 speaker owner, or anybody that have protection circuit in there speaker.
I would like to know if they find them annoying? or if they give them problem.
I know I am very happy to get rid of these fuses resistors, NOW I can enjoy my speaker.
if you have Wilson witt check those fuses under bottom of speaker, you might be surprised to see , you might have a few blown ones.
thank god manufacturer don t use them much anymore, except for those limiters they put into active monitor, wich I will ne ver buy. people that buy muscle cars always fallow speed limit > ya wright.

A hint here :idea:

"Peak power testing showed that amplifiers rated at up to 200Wpc into 8 ohms are suitable with the proviso that if the amplifier is severely clipped or overloaded, replaceable Caddock power resistors will begin to blow in the WITT crossover."

Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/wil ... asurements

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:50 pm 

facau wrote:
Hi, I'm in Brazil and I have speakers wilson audio witt 1. I need to make the exchange of the resistors and I would like to know what the corresponding and all specifications are for this model. Thank you.

my model is witt 2 and know that witt 1 add a different woofer.
I know that the witt 2 are 89.5 d/B sensitivity. frequency response is 30 hz to I think 30 kHz
they don t say power handling, but the focal 13 inche driver is rated at 400 watt. wich is what they use in the witt 2
the resistors values are 4.2 ohm
5.6 ohm this one have no more writing on so that is my ohmmeter reading.
7.9 ohm
and 14.2 ohm
but again not sure if those are the same values for witt 1
but i think it is same tweeter and mid range.
so far so good still no more resistor blowing , and all driver are fine.
my rant is specialy because of location of that resistors panel under the speaker.
you know you spend thousand of dollar for nice paint finish on nice speaker , to having to flip speaker on the side to reach that panel is ridiculous. now they put them on the back of cabinet, and you can now see them trough the transparant panel.
and they made replacement easyer with terminal.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:42 am 

zon001 wrote:
facau wrote:

my model is witt 2 and know that witt 1 add a different woofer.
I know that the witt 2 are 89.5 d/B sensitivity. frequency response is 30 hz to I think 30 kHz
they don t say power handling, but the focal 13 inche driver is rated at 400 watt. wich is what they use in the witt 2
the resistors values are 4.2 ohm
5.6 ohm this one have no more writing on so that is my ohmmeter reading.
7.9 ohm
and 14.2 ohm
but again not sure if those are the same values for witt 1
but i think it is same tweeter and mid range.
so far so good still no more resistor blowing , and all driver are fine.
my rant is specialy because of location of that resistors panel under the speaker.
you know you spend thousand of dollar for nice paint finish on nice speaker , to having to flip speaker on the side to reach that panel is ridiculous. now they put them on the back of cabinet, and you can now see them trough the transparant panel.
and they made replacement easyer with terminal.

Thank you very much, I appreciate your response. But I did not understand well

Woofer - 4.2 Ohms + 5.6 Ohms?

Mid - 7.9 Ohms?

Tweeter - 14.2 Ohms?

Have you used mills resistors? I read about the pathaudio resistors and they say a lot about their performance. Is it worth a try for the price? (US$30,00 un.).

I agree with you that the wilson speaker should make access to the resistors easier because they should already provide for replacement by the user.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:49 am 

I would hazard a guess that the vast majority of Wilson users Do Not experience a problem with resistor failure in their speakers, therefore, easy and repeatable access is not a priority nor a necessity.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:36 am 
Premium User

brf wrote:
I would hazard a guess that the vast majority of Wilson users Do Not experience a problem with resistor failure in their speakers, therefore, easy and repeatable access is not a priority nor a necessity.

+1

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:10 pm 

yes I use mills spec resistors, I use 2 in parallel for 32 watt . and 3 (48 watt)for the mid range. Wilson sell kaddock resistors $22 . sold elsewhere for $2

imagine if you call the technician for service??? it could actually cost you many hundred s of dollars. for a simple fuse.
to me it just to grab more money out of your pocket.
the 7.9 goes on the tweeter and the 14.2 goes on the mid range
the other 2 I don t remember , but just use a ohm meter to check the other fuses value and the remaining are the other values I mention, because those 4 values are all they add installed on mine. .