Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:55 am 

Quick update:

Petersch was awesome enough to have myself and a couple other guys over last night for a fun listening session on his Maggie 3.6's and modified Klipsch La Scala's. Was great meeting some more local audio guys, we definitely have a strong local group here!

In a nutshell, the Maggies sounded like magic! Revealing but never harsh, huge enveloping presentation and an open, full sound that even did well in the bottom end, with imaging that made it sound like the actual band was forming a virtual outline in the listening space. Even played quite loud (90-95db) these never came across as LOUD and fatiguing. They are revealing yet not hyper-revealing and analytical like the Focals. I can see why these are so loved by many, they're simply amazing.

The Klipsch sounded completely different and like live music. Dynamic, musical and just a lot of fun to listen to... the Klipsch had us all tapping our toes a little more and instruments like drum and horns sounded more like being there at the show. Vocals may have been more accurate on these as well through the big JBL midrange Pete had hooked up. It wouldn't be fair for me to make direct comparisons though since I switched seats when we moved to the Klipsch speakers.

Overall we had a lot of fun and it was great to meet more awesome local people, listen to some incredible speakers and discover good new music (I'm off to find that A/B Trio today!).

Listening to many systems has been truly revealing as well, it's making me think something with the huge enveloping presentation and imaging of the Maggies with the dynamics of the Klipsch is just about perfect for what I'm looking for. Funny enough I've heard the Spatials described this way. I feel like I'm getting closer.

Off to listen to Monitor Audio's new Silver line today at NAV hopefully. It's said the Silver 500's were the best room under $80k at Taves and voted best under $30k by Novo Press. Expectations are a naturally kinda high on this one.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:44 pm 

Interestingly I'm thinking about the Bryston Middle T again, I've heard on good authority from a couple places now that it is an exceptional speaker, very well-rounded, and the bass is some of the tightest and most accurate in a speaker anywhere near it's price range (especially when set-up on the optional outriggers), which makes me think I possibly heard a bad set-up, speakers not run-in or because they were not on outriggers. The bass performance was the only thing that bothered me about it, so I'm thinking it's worth a second chance.

Turns out reviews are pretty ecstatic for this speaker as well and they talk about outstanding, accurate bass performance so I may have just heard a bad set-up.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:07 pm 
Distributor/Sponsor

edge42 wrote:
Quick update:

Petersch was awesome enough to have myself and a couple other guys over last night for a fun listening session on his Maggie 3.6's and modified Klipsch La Scala's. Was great meeting some more local audio guys, we definitely have a strong local group here!

In a nutshell, the Maggies sounded like magic! Revealing but never harsh, huge enveloping presentation and an open, full sound that even did well in the bottom end, with imaging that made it sound like the actual band was forming a virtual outline in the listening space. Even played quite loud (90-95db) these never came across as LOUD and fatiguing. They are revealing yet not hyper-revealing and analytical like the Focals. I can see why these are so loved by many, they're simply amazing.

The Klipsch sounded completely different and like live music. Dynamic, musical and just a lot of fun to listen to... the Klipsch had us all tapping our toes a little more and instruments like drum and horns sounded more like being there at the show. Vocals may have been more accurate on these as well through the big JBL midrange Pete had hooked up. It wouldn't be fair for me to make direct comparisons though since I switched seats when we moved to the Klipsch speakers.

Overall we had a lot of fun and it was great to meet more awesome local people, listen to some incredible speakers and discover good new music (I'm off to find that A/B Trio today!).

Listening to many systems has been truly revealing as well, it's making me think something with the huge enveloping presentation and imaging of the Maggies with the dynamics of the Klipsch is just about perfect for what I'm looking for. Funny enough I've heard the Spatials described this way. I feel like I'm getting closer.

Off to listen to Monitor Audio's new Silver line today at NAV hopefully. It's said the Silver 500's were the best room under $80k at Taves and voted best under $30k by Novo Press. Expectations are a naturally kinda high on this one.

"something with the huge enveloping presentation and imaging of the Maggies with the dynamics of the Klipsch".
I would say Westlake but after so much pushback, this reminds me of:
https://goo.gl/images/6ie94M

Good luck in your auditions and hope you will find what your'e looking for.

(780) 995-6056
https://www.facebook.com/3dBSoundCo/
http://www.westlakeaudio.com/
http://www.mcalisteraudio.com/

Last edited by doronor on Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:36 pm 

doronor wrote:
edge42 wrote:
Quick update:

"something with the huge enveloping presentation and imaging of the Maggies with the dynamics of the Klipsch".
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/view_userimages.php?user_id=9769

Good luck in your auditions and hope you will find what you're looking for.

Haha no pushback Doronor, I just don't believe a small standmount from Westlake rated down to I believe 50Hz can ever compare to kind of full range floorstanders I've been looking at for dynamics. I'm sure it's a great speaker especially if you're so fond of it, however I already have M&K's that are similar in ways to the Westlakes and sound good and can do big SPL, but WITH a subwoofer and will always be thin without.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:12 pm 
Distributor/Sponsor

edge42 wrote:
doronor wrote:
edge42 wrote:
Quick update:

Haha no pushback Doronor, I just don't believe a small standmount from Westlake rated down to I believe 50Hz can ever compare to kind of full range floorstanders I've been looking at for dynamics. I'm sure it's a great speaker especially if you're so fond of it, however I already have M&K's that are similar in ways to the Westlakes and sound good and can do big SPL, but WITH a subwoofer and will always be thin without.

That’s Westlake’s issue, coming from the Pro World as opposed to the Audiphile world:
Being overly humble about their specs since they provide +-3dB and not relating to a room.
We compared to Reference 3A Episode rated at 40Hz. The little guys went lower and were more dynamic, let alone clearer, with better imaging, focus, 3D, dynamics (macro and micro), etc.
Some professional reviews even show the Westlake measured better than their specs.
I’m not even bringing the Lc3W10V’s (rated at 42Hz) to this argument.
I had Sonus Faber Grand Piano (rated at 35Hz) with two Thiel SS1 subs (30Hz easy) and these Lc3W10V go lower, are more dynamic (let alone have better clarity, tonality, imaging, air, 3D, etc, etc).
Judging speakers based on specs without listening to them may cause you to miss out on an experience.

One more option for you if you are willing to ignore appearances and look at pure unadulterated substance is a pair of Acoustat 3. These can be had used for ~$1,200 and given you liked the Magie’s, they will blow you away from both sound stage, clarity, dynamics (they can move air unlike many other ESL’s).
You’ll most likely need a better amp (tube preferred) for these but if you’re mostly into classical music (especially big orchestral pieces), they cannot be beat and not just at their price point.

The best sounds can sometimes be found on the roads less traveled.

Just my experience.

Take care

(780) 995-6056
https://www.facebook.com/3dBSoundCo/
http://www.westlakeaudio.com/
http://www.mcalisteraudio.com/

Last edited by doronor on Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:15 pm 

edge42,

Sounds like you had a great session over at Petersch's!

I have owned Klispch over the last 10 years or so and in the middle after selling my Klipschorns I tried a pair of Maggie 1.7s for half a year or so.
The Maggies did much like you described for me, after pouring a huge amount of power at them... Sanders Magtech in my case.

But I eventually went back to high efficiency and built a pair of Cornscalas, based on Bob Crites's Style C.
These speaker sound fantastic and myself and a few of my audio buddy's believe they sound better than my previous KHorns did.

Last year I took on a new build project and built a pair of Klipsch Jubilee (clones) and these have now pushed my beloved Cornscalas to the side,
only to be slid in once in a while for a change up.

I prefer my music to have that "live" sound that you eluded to and I believe a good horn system is one of the best ways to achieve this.
If you ever get a chance to go listen to a pair of Jubs, go check them out.

They could end your search!
Mind you, I am a little biased. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:46 pm 

edge42 wrote:
doronor wrote:
edge42 wrote:
Quick update:

Depends on the speakers. I find bookshelves are better than floorstanders for the music I listen to. They image better and don’t have overwhelming bass, perfect for,orchestral music. The Westlake have a huge rep that shouldn’t be ignored. I’m glad you tried some Maggie’s, they really do blow the mind.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:44 pm 

Sounds like you've had a lot of fun with those Westlakes, doronor! I'll definitely keep an eye out for those Acoustat 3's as well, I see there's a set for sale in the US but look a little big to ship all the way here.

HPower, I've seen the Cornscala design, in fact we were talking about them last night, and they are supposed to be very good - hopefully one day I'm lucky enough to come across a pair to listen to.

malthuse, don't get me wrong I still love standmounts and have enjoyed the hell out of mine - I just really enjoy the HUGE sound and kick in the chest that only larger drivers can give you by moving more air volume.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:20 pm 

Hopefully you get to hear the open baffle Spatial Audio m3 turbo s.You will be glad you did.I own the m3 triode master and they are superb for all genres.Dual 15 inch drivers that have bass thats deep and quick as a whip and the imaging is spooky.fantastic value with a beautiful industrial yet elegant aesthetic.Malthuse would love these Im really sure of it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:28 pm 

greatlookinglandscapes wrote:
Hopefully you get to hear the ooen baffle spatial m3 turbo s.You will be glad you did.I own the m3 triode master and they are superb for all genres.Dual 15 inch drivers that have bass thats deep and quick as a whip and the imaging is spooky.fantastic value with a beautiful industrial yet elegant aesthetic.Malthuse would love these Im really sure of it.

I wish but I don't think anyone local has them! But based on how much I enjoy the Maggies and Martin Logans I'm thinking these may be worth the risk to just blind-buy them. I'm very, very tempted - these sound and look pretty much ideal.

Just sold off 2 sets of my standmounts in 2 days on CAM (who said it was slow?!) so I'm rearing to buy something! I kept my LSA Monitor 1's just so I'd have something left to listen to until I decide haha.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:34 pm 

There killer man.Theres a mint pair of m4 selling here you should snap em up he will probably sharpen the pencil and you will get an idea of there signature and what Im talkin about.My buddy changes his gear like socks and once he bought the m4 hes been very very happy.The m4 are 12 inch and quite a bit cheaper than the m3 mine are the flagship of the 3 series the m3 triode master

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:47 pm 
Premium User

The M3's are better overall than M4's in everything but the mids. With that said the deal on M4's is worth it considering you could probably get your money back if you want to move to M3's.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:53 pm 

James_W wrote:
The M3's are better overall than M4's in everything but the mids. With that said the deal on M4's is worth it considering you could probably get your money back if you want to move to M3's.

yes and the m3 triodes excel in both mids and highs due to the upgraded wiring,Clari caps and m35 dipole compression driver

Last edited by greatlookinglandscapes on Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:22 pm 

Hi Edge42, I have a pair of modified klipschorn. You are welcome to hear it. I have a pair of Cornwall 1, but there are become my surround speaker for the main klipsch k402 as L/R. Cornwall is very revealing speaker, can hear all the transient which I can not heard from other. But too bad the k402 are too big to sit in the back.

Steven

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:03 pm 

It was a pleasure having a you guys over last night. It's always fun to see peoples eyes open when they first hear horns done right. If Steven has a set of Klipsch K402 sitting on top of his KHorns RUN over and have a listen and invite me to, LOL. The Cornwall I is a very pleasing speaker that is rarely disappointing and they are always engaging. Back to those Maggie's, you'll need something along the lines of that Bryston to make them sing and if you want some slam and dynamics add in a REL sub as they are quick enough to keep up with Maggie's and will deliver that added kick you like about larger drivers. While I do have a sub I only use it to supplement under 40 Hz on the La Scala and I don't own a sub that'll keep up with Magnepan. You heard the Maggie's solo and they really do extend down to 30 Hz on their own. I think the real star was the PS Audio DAC Matt brought over as it was a winner. One day I'll have my CW I back and I won't need a sub once I finish off the Cornscala project. I'm sure John would love to have you guys over and hear his version of the Cornwalls. I also will be finishing off some crossovers and running the LS with stock drivers to tune them correctly. You guys are welcome to stop by any time and hear what's on the go as John does quite often. I plan on having those Lowther Horns rebuilt and I was working on those Home Brew 300B Mono Blocks last night and hope to have them up and running the La Scala's real soon, they must be heard to be appreciated. I had another person drop off a temperamental & finicky beast tonight for my magic touch, this is going to be a challenge to get it up and running once again! I can hardly wait to slam the Maggie's with it.

Attachments:
File comment: Tube/Mosfet Hybrid
Counterpoint SA-220.jpg
Counterpoint SA-220.jpg [ 347.6 KiB | Viewed 259 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next