Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:50 am 

My Dahlquist DQ 10 never ceases to amaze even after all these years. What a revelation!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:37 am 

For me:

Magnepan IIIA's. Best performance versus money spent. In fact, if space wasn't presently a factor, my wife.. yes my wife would have me buy another pair. She liked them that much. So based on their size and their normally rather low WAF, that is a rather strong endorsement for a good pair of maggies. Hard to beat. I would imagine that any pair of maggies would be a good choice.

Devore O-93's. Very nice, like a fine bottle of scotch. Unfortunately, I had to sell mine due to moving overseas. Not sure I would buy another pair due to the price tag new. Not sure the value proposition is worth it, but they sure were nice. I am always looking to buy another pair of Devore speakers on the used market. Haven't been able to find a pair so far.

Totem Sttaf speakers (presently being used). With good amplification (which I have), they are a small footprint that is hard to beat for the money spent. Especially on the used market. These speakers should be on most people's short list. Especially for those that have limited space. They do a lot of things right for the price.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:52 am 

JM Labs (Focal) Mezzo Utopias. Before I bough them, I had heard them extensively and decided I wanted a pair. Took me over a year to find a used pair in the room ght price range. The utopia series really does have something special. Over the years I may have changed things some, but the Utopias have been there, and I have zero desire or even curiosity to change them.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:20 am 

I have owned so many speakers, I’m embarrassed to say the ones I’ve kept and love the sound of the most is my vintage Sony SS-5050 speakers

Attachments:
E7522B76-78DF-454B-80C7-54BE8C681B20.jpeg
E7522B76-78DF-454B-80C7-54BE8C681B20.jpeg [ 81.21 KiB | Viewed 783 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:57 am 
Premium User

A couple of screen grabs for reference:

Spica TC 50i's were the most fun - so holographic

The PSB GT1's I have now are more revealing of small detail within complex orchestral musical passages and a very solid sound-stage. Hard to reproduce instruments such as piano and violin now sound more like they do live. They're not as in the room 3D as the Spica's though.

Attachments:
1074464-spica-tc50i-speakers.jpg
1074464-spica-tc50i-speakers.jpg [ 165.21 KiB | Viewed 748 times ]
1622239-psb-g-design-gt1-tower-speakers-piano-black-finish.jpg
1622239-psb-g-design-gt1-tower-speakers-piano-black-finish.jpg [ 259.29 KiB | Viewed 749 times ]

Ariston RD11 Superieur, RB250 & Tecnoweight, DV20X2H, LCR MkIII, Dacmagic100, Exposure 2010S2, AS Statement SEs, AS Testaments, PSB GT1s

Last edited by shawnwes on Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:11 am 

I'd have to say my current speakers, Magnepan 3.7 Black on Black...with Mye stands!
I add two Martin Logan Sub...I could listend Baroque to Rock and the sound fill the place!

No limitations, I really enjoy them!

Now, my only problem it to try to upgrade, could be different but not really better... :D

Attachments:
magnepan_37.jpg
magnepan_37.jpg [ 6.87 KiB | Viewed 726 times ]

Last edited by Baroque on Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:03 am 

You could try stands. I got the Mye stands and they make a subtle difference. A bit more clarity. I also slapped some wheels on them which lifts them off the ground. I find a few inches off the ground helps in a noticeable way.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:17 am 

For me, Magnepan 3.6 are #1 followed by Klipsch la Scala and I've also seriously enjoyed my B&W Matrix 801 Series 2.
I aspire to own a set of Magnepan 30.7 and a set of Klipschorns.

The La Scala and the Matrix 801 really sing with Tube power !!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:13 pm 
Premium User

petersch wrote:
For me, Magnepan 3.6 are #1 followed by Klipsch la Scala and I've also seriously enjoyed my B&W Matrix 801 Series 2.
I aspire to own a set of Magnepan 30.7 and a set of Klipschorns.

The La Scala and the Matrix 801 really sing with Tube power !!

I was reading an article the other day on stacking 2 pairs of speakers and saw someone had stacked a pair of 801's. No idea how it might sound but looks like a poor man's MBL! :shock:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/any-advantage-to-setting-speaker-upside-down.611607/

Scroll to bottom of page

Ariston RD11 Superieur, RB250 & Tecnoweight, DV20X2H, LCR MkIII, Dacmagic100, Exposure 2010S2, AS Statement SEs, AS Testaments, PSB GT1s

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:08 pm 

I have gone through more pairs of speakers then I'd like to think about including Definitive Technology/B+W/ Maggies and on and on. From Kef to ESS and by far the best pair are my Vandersteens 2Ci's.
They are so revealing it's silly.
The more i upgrade my sources the more i hear.
Whatever type of music i listen to they are right on.
I have a 3B ST pushing them at close to 200 watts and they just continue to be very solid performers.
I would have to spend 5 times what i paid for them to move up.
Cheers.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:55 pm 

Paradigm Focus v.3 bookshelf/stand mount speakers

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:25 pm 

My favorite speakers are the two pair I have now. Legacy Audio Signature III and slightly modified Design Audio PS 10' I've Had the legacies for over 15 years and still love them.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:13 pm 

If you have the room for big speakers, there truly is “no replacement for displacement”.

Tastes change, refine if you like, as you move forward through life.

I am amazed daily at how quietly I can listen to my LaScalas and still be moved by the impact and detail of the music.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:49 pm 

As I'm breaking in my Taylor Acoustic Linbrook floorstanders (at most 80hrs only) I can say they are the best I've ever own and their location isn't even ideal as it's a little boomy (plugging the port tightens things up a lot but loses resolution to some degree). I've heard better but definitely nothing close in this price range. Will require some serious bucks to move up.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:27 am 

First Best so far: Verity Audio Parsifal Encore - Quite a while ago 1998 kept them 5 years. Does everything right, but more suitable for larger listening rooms.

Second Best so far: Verity Audio Fidelio (current speakers) - Actually more of a tie with #1. The Parsifal could sound overpowered in bass region, where the Fidelio is subjectively a touch leaner yet has the same midrange driver and glorious sound as the big brother. A very quick, imaging-pro speaker.
Currently looking to exchange them for the same speaker in a different finish.

In between those two Verity's over the course of many years, lot's of "honorable mentions" in the " a lot-less-expensive " department !

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next