Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:28 am 

Thanks for all the recommendations ! I'll keep reading abouth all those speakers to make my mind. At the moment, I'm curious about the Spendor line and the Tannoy XT8F. It's true that I don't need a HUGE speakers considering my listening position is 9-10 feet from the speakers. I've had a pair of Totem Hawk in this room and they were doing OK but I couldn't live with their "bright" sound (to my ears).

By the way, my sources are :

Digital : Cambridge Audio 851D
Analog : Rega RP6 + Moon 310 LP

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:55 am 

The new Monitor Audio Silver 500 are smooth and wonderful sounding. The Silver 8 and 10 are spectacular, but could be clinical if that's what your amp and source are. The Silver are all capable of filly a big room but also very forgiving of placement. The Aria will want more breathing room.

If you have the power for them, maybe consider Bryston Middle T. I've always considered them the true upgrade for Silvers. Better scale and dynamics, and actually smoother and full sounded. But never boomy or boxy. Very versatile with music, room placement. Just need a bit of juice at 85db.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:01 am 

NordicNorm wrote:
Run, don't walk. This is an exceptional deal. Definitely worth checking out.

Tannoy Arundel 15" dual concentrics for $1,400: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649371831-gorgeous-tannoy-15-in-custom-cabinet-price-to-go/

*No affiliation with seller.

If these aren't to your liking, then a pair of Klipsch La Scala will be guaranteed to fill your room: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649334951-klipsch-la-scala-speakers-pair/

:shock: For your amplification and space requirements the Arundels are the proverbial NO BRAINER decision..... and not that far away.
You really NEED to go for a listen my friend before they disappear.

Both the La Scalas & Cornwalls will require a good sub [or 2] to compete in the bass range.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:40 am 

Hi,

Note to PappyBlue: I reread this thread and it is quite interesting and revealing. I think you have to solve a key issue first given the size of your room (700 sq. ft). Let me put it this way.

Do you want to fill the whole space with sound, especially with bass content and mid-bass bloom (adding some presence at lower volume levels), OR, do you want to listen intimately at about 9-10 feet where your emphasis is going to be on sound-staging. I ask, because if you look at many of the excellent recommendations made by CAM members for floor standers they do tend to fall into these two types; the room fillers versus the intimates. In the first camp we have items like the Vandy 2cs and the big Tannoys and the Klipsh corner loaded suggestions as well as many others. In the second camp we have items like the Proacs and the Spendors and also the MA Silvers. Notice that the second camp are derived from British stand mount monitoring designs and the Brits tend to have smaller listening rooms.

It is possible to have something that will fill both needs (with some compromises) but I just suggest you examine these options very carefully and bear in mind your top priority when deciding. Good luck.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:25 pm 

buybye88 wrote:
Hi,

Note to PappyBlue: I reread this thread and it is quite interesting and revealing. I think you have to solve a key issue first given the size of your room (700 sq. ft). Let me put it this way.

Do you want to fill the whole space with sound, especially with bass content and mid-bass bloom (adding some presence at lower volume levels), OR, do you want to listen intimately at about 9-10 feet where your emphasis is going to be on sound-staging. I ask, because if you look at many of the excellent recommendations made by CAM members for floor standers they do tend to fall into these two types; the room fillers versus the intimates. In the first camp we have items like the Vandy 2cs and the big Tannoys and the Klipsh corner loaded suggestions as well as many others. In the second camp we have items like the Proacs and the Spendors and also the MA Silvers. Notice that the second camp are derived from British stand mount monitoring designs and the Brits tend to have smaller listening rooms.

It is possible to have something that will fill both needs (with some compromises) but I just suggest you examine these options very carefully and bear in mind your top priority when deciding. Good luck.

Cheers,
David Neice

David, you are absolutely right ! Thank you for this very well sumarized post !

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:30 am 

Try these and then go from here

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... -cabinets/

If your not satisfied you can resell them for same or more than what asking price was .Also just a great investment. You will gain in listening knowledge with nothing lost in the process.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:19 am 

It wouldn't be hard to find some speakers more sensitive that play louder but if you are having bass problems as well it would be good to confirm whether your existing speakers are positioned optimally or if it is even possible to do so. You wouldn't want to replace them with something that plays louder but has the same bass issues. If you have "absolutely no bass" now you could always upload a pic or diagram and it might help show room/positioning problems or help narrow down your purchase decision.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:43 am 

I have a new set of MA Silver 300's in a great room about the same size as yours, if not larger, and the primary listening position is 10-12 ft.
These are driven by a Yamaha 2 channel receiver which would not have near the sq your gear has.

I think you would be happy with those and they should be a good match for your Exposure.
I compared them to the MA silver 8's before purchasing and they were a clear improvement.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:13 am 

At 700 sqf probably not getting much room gain.
Also if the majority of the apartment is drywall on studs that sucks up alot of bass and reflects midrange/treble(masking effect).
Those Tannoys offer adjustable energy control as do other brands.That might be your only solution.

Gary

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:31 pm 

ecclectique wrote:
For your amplification and space requirements the Arundels are the proverbial NO BRAINER decision..... and not that far away. You really NEED to go for a listen my friend before they disappear.

I'm tempted to jump on them. I'd love to compare them to my Martin Logan Spires.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:18 am 

If those Arundel speakers are built with the same panache as the Tannoys built for professional monitoring then these will surely be 1. A steal, and, 2. Be able fill your room no problem.

The Tannoy sound may not be for all, but they certainly sound right to me. They have the ability to be dynamic, yet detailed; transparent yet warm. Actually, reading this thread and the Tannoy suggestion gave me goosebumps from memories of being just a few hours away from pulling the trigger on a set of Tannoy System 15, GAWDAM did those speakers do everything I sought from a playback monitor. But just as I was typing an email to the seller did my new neighbour knock to complain about the little Veenas. The speakers ended being sold and my complaining neighbour moved 18 months later.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:09 am 

NordicNorm wrote:
ecclectique wrote:
For your amplification and space requirements the Arundels are the proverbial NO BRAINER decision..... and not that far away. You really NEED to go for a listen my friend before they disappear.

I'm tempted to jump on them. I'd love to compare them to my Martin Logan Spires.

NordicNorm. Do you have a large listening room?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:20 pm 

ecclectique wrote:
NordicNorm wrote:
ecclectique wrote:

NordicNorm. Do you have a large listening room?

Yes, fairly large. The room is 24' in length, and is composed of two sections. The first (where the system sits) is 10' across, 12' in length with an 8' ceiling. The next section is 12' in length, 18' across with a 10' ceiling. There is a treated column beside where I sit (12' mark).