Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Grilles or not?
I always leave the speaker grilles on for listening 28%  28%  [ 43 ]
I always remove the speaker grilles for listening 39%  39%  [ 61 ]
I only remove the grilles for critical listening sessions 13%  13%  [ 20 ]
My speakers don't have grilles 13%  13%  [ 20 ]
My speakers have unremovable grilles 7%  7%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 155
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:44 pm 

Always off on my focal electra 1038's. They do look more stealthy with them on though.

Last edited by KurtG on Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:55 pm 

L-Man wrote:
My main speakers are a pair of Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v4, driven with Anthem separates. Paradigm recommends leaving the grilles on, as the speakers are apparently designed to have the flattest frequency response and reduced diffraction with them installed.

However, more recently I've been doing my careful listening with the grilles off ... the speakers are remarkably better unclothed. With the grilles on, the treble and midrange is closed in and sounds slightly dirty. With the grilles off, there is a lot more emotion and transparency, and seemingly much better dispersion (despite warnings from Paradigm about diffraction). Imaging is much improved, female vocalists are present in the room, the sound stage is much larger and more open and there is a nice sense of "air" and sweetness. That sense vanishes with the grilles installed.

I had a tone-deaf non-audio friend over a couple weeks ago, and during a song I removed the grilles. He commented how much better it sounded without any prompting.

In my opinion, it's almost like a $1000 speaker upgrade to remove the grilles (or a downgrade with them on, however you want to look at it).

Just wondering what the opinions are of CAM folks in this regard.

Edit: I've got kids, so the grilles stay on most of the time, even though they are super good about not touching *daddy's* speakers. Otherwise, I'd just store the grilles ...

I owned the Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v5. The manual said the same thing as yours, that they were designed to play with the grilles on. After owning them for 6 months, I tried them without the grilles. Much better! The sound was much more clear and transparent, especially the highs.
I never put the grilles back on them.

I now own Sonus Faber Venere 2.0, and I have never used the grilles. They sound perfect without them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:39 pm 

With what i use I leave'em on

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:27 am 

Grills off on Dunlavy's and Duntech never on my Maggies 2.6r.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:36 am 

Monitor Audio GX100 - standmounts that have an attractive densely perforated metal grill. Never on - never used. Grills are for keeping little fingers out only.

Attachments:
g893GX100W-F.jpg
g893GX100W-F.jpg [ 30.5 KiB | Viewed 189 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:15 am 

On my B&W D2's I always leave off the cloth grills but the tweeter cover's remain on.

My surround sound Cerwin Vega's and SVS subs all the grilles remain on.

Audiois1st

Check out My Components: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/userprofile.php?user_id=39933

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:22 am 

AHarris wrote:
Monitor Audio GX100 - standmounts that have an attractive densely perforated metal grill. Never on - never used. Grills are for keeping little fingers out only.

IMO this is one of the better implementations of a speaker grill. No cheap looking plastic plugs or ugly strips of Velcro. And the metal grill actually protects from curious little fingers. Cats are also less likely to scratch at metal vs fabric.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:59 am 

Scudder wrote:
I owned the Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v5. The manual said the same thing as yours, that they were designed to play with the grilles on. After owning them for 6 months, I tried them without the grilles. Much better! The sound was much more clear and transparent, especially the highs.
I never put the grilles back on them.

I now own Sonus Faber Venere 2.0, and I have never used the grilles. They sound perfect without them.

Thanks for the confirmation. It's not a small difference, I'm not sure how Paradigm ever authorized this grille, I'm sure the speaker must measure a lot better on axis without it.

How do the Venere compare to the Studios (probably a dumb question, but I am curious). There have been a few 2.5 and 3.0 for sale on this site and they have caught my eye ... but I'm really trying to keep my system in the affordable range, and I have within the last year completed assembling a full matching set of 5.1 from CAM. It makes a spectacular HT system and is still quite good for music (2.0/2.1).

I would imagine the Venere are smoother and more natural in the treble, and more revealing and open in the mid range compared to the Studios.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:54 am 

[/quote]

Cats are also less likely to scratch at metal vs fabric.[/quote]

Gosh darn cats!

I've got three but alas, they don't see the music room! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:10 am 

We have 2 cats as well, but also carefully guarded doors to the music room.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:28 am 

Removed a hundred staples and pulled the socks down on my Acoustats. Way better! You Maggy guys should try it.
Really, how can fabric over your speaker drivers possibly make the sound better?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:27 am 

I have three stereos in the house with the following speakers:
- Thiel CS.05: Grills on, per manufacturer's suggestion. Also, they look weird with the grills off.
- Wharfedale Emerald 99: Grills off. They look mightier that way. 8) Also: The room is so acoustically bad, it doesn't matter.
- Gallo Strada: Grills on. The metal grills are intrinsic to the metal spheres that contains the drivers. I couldn't take them off if I wanted to. Ditto for the metal mesh protecting the tweeter.

At my desk right now: Kavent CD-731, Gallo Stradas, Gallo TR3D Sub, Raysonic SE-30A mk II (winter amp), ShengYa AS90 (summer amp), Dragonfly DAC2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:29 am 

AHarris wrote:
Gosh darn cats!

I've got three but alas, they don't see the music room! :lol:

L-Man wrote:
We have 2 cats as well, but also carefully guarded doors to the music room.

Mine has free reign – she’s the boss of the house. I’m only here to pay bills (cause cats don’t work), feed her, scratch behind her ear when she wants and to throw the odd cat toy when she feels the urge to get off her lazy ***. The things we do for our pets! Thankfully she hasn’t showed much interest in my stereo.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:12 am 

All of my HPD tannoys have the grilles removed. I do not have kids or pets to poke holes or touch the cones. Its just common sense that to get the most of the sound wave to the ear the pathway to the ear much be clear. I'm sure some waves are cancelled or alterd away from the ear when grilles are use thus missing some of the music.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:30 pm 

My Yamaha NS1000 have the grills on most of the time
But i love the way they look "naked" when they are in use !

Same can be said for my JBL4344

The build quality and look of both without are just beautiful.
However the blue grills are eye candy !!
Also my JBL L100 with the blue foam are a. Conversation starter

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next