Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dynaudio
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:36 pm 
Premium User

KJT1 wrote:
Given how much I like my SCM 40's which one would be the next natural step?.

Tough call. Of the many speakers I've had since SCM 40's regardless of price I am not sure anything has matched the level of insight you get from them. Maybe the next step is 50's 8)

The new Contour line floorstanding speakers would be a good spot to start.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:11 pm 

James_W wrote:
KJT1 wrote:

Tough call. Of the many speakers I've had since SCM 40's regardless of price I am not sure anything has matched the level of insight you get from them. Maybe the next step is 50's 8)

The new Contour line would be a good spot to start.

50's might be too much speaker for my room. I think the 40's max it out. I also own a pair of Totem Model One Sigs and they sound great in this room so a pair of Contour 20's or C1's should be an interesting experiment. I should note, I'm not trying to replace the ATC's as I like them too much. I'm looking for another great speaker to add to the rotation.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:52 pm 

kawihornet wrote:
I'm not sure that B&W and Focal comparisons are fair IMO.

My comment was not about sound. I use both B&W and Focal and they sound nothing alike. The Dynaudios sound nothing like either of the other two, but I could happily live with any of their bookshelf designs.

My comment was about being full line manufacturers who make their own drivers and have good quality.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:53 pm 

James_W wrote:
KJT1 wrote:

I had a chance to hear an on the fly comparison with the active and passive SCM 40's and the actives are a major step up.The price would put the Actives in the same range as the Dynaudio Platinums...I'd even like to hear the Passive SCM40's in the same room as my C1's,I like the ATC sound.If I had a complaint about my C1's is that they some times project vocals too far forward...I find the comment about the C1's and the contour 1.3 SE interesting.I've heard the C1's against Contour S3.4 and the C1's were much better.Like Yippedidou mentioned, it takes power to make the C1's dynamic and alive.Thats when the bass really starts...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:00 pm 
Premium User

KJT1 wrote:
I'm looking for another great speaker to add to the rotation.

You really need to try a Neat isobaric bookshelf in either the newer Momentum or Ultimatum line. They are musical like Audio Note and very detailed like a Focal. With the quality speakers you've owned I think you would appreciate and understand what they bring to the table. I'm trying to work on a deal for Ultimatum XLS right now.

The bigger pro model Dynaudio look very interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:30 pm 

James_W wrote:
KJT1 wrote:

You really need to try a Neat isobaric bookshelf in either the newer Momentum or Ultimatum line. They are musical like Audio Note and very detailed like a Focal. With the quality speakers you've owned I think you would appreciate and understand what they bring to the table. I'm trying to work on a deal for Ultimatum XLS right now.

Don't hear a lot about Neat. Some very interesting if not entire neutral designs. One other very interesting (and historically linked) are the Kudos speakers - the super minis are stunning. Like Proac on steroids.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:00 am 
Premium User

Itsnotluck wrote:
James_W wrote:
KJT1 wrote:

I had a chance to hear an on the fly comparison with the active and passive SCM 40's and the actives are a major step up.The price would put the Actives in the same range as the Dynaudio Platinums...I'd even like to hear the Passive SCM40's in the same room as my C1's,I like the ATC sound.If I had a complaint about my C1's is that they some times project vocals too far forward...I find the comment about the C1's and the contour 1.3 SE interesting.I've heard the C1's against Contour S3.4 and the C1's were much better.Like Yippedidou mentioned, it takes power to make the C1's dynamic and alive.Thats when the bass really starts...

I've owned the S3.4 and your right the C1's sound better. In terms of bass response and bottom end a quick gander at specs supports my ears... C1's 45 Hz – 22 kHz (± 3 dB) 1.3SE Frequency Response: 37 Hz - 27 kHz
Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:21 am 

banerjba wrote:
James_W wrote:
KJT1 wrote:

Don't hear a lot about Neat. Some very interesting if not entire neutral designs. One other very interesting (and historically linked) are the Kudos speakers - the super minis are stunning. Like Proac on steroids.

I heard the Kudos Super 10 in my set up besides the Dyns C1... They were pretty much on par IMO maybe a little better imaging from the C1 but honestly, I could live with them no problem. Pretty much the same sound.
Neat and SCM, I would like to try.
One thing I found with bass on C1... You need power but the base is also very important. I have the D6 filled with sand on a granit plate. Better focus, especially for heavy double bass like what you find with the early Patricia Barber recordings.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:28 pm 

banerjba wrote:
kawihornet wrote:

My comment was not about sound. I use both B&W and Focal and they sound nothing alike. The Dynaudios sound nothing like either of the other two, but I could happily live with any of their bookshelf designs.

My comment was about being full line manufacturers who make their own drivers and have good quality.

Babi, that's exactly how I read your post , it was about the lines , not the sound.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:41 pm 

drwoo wrote:
banerjba wrote:
kawihornet wrote:

Babi, that's exactly how I read your post , it was about the lines , not the sound.

Thanks Wayne :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:56 pm 
Premium User

+3 on the comparison. I've always told people that dont like B&W and Focal to try Dynaudio as they sound different but have a similar product lineup offering performance at price points. It's also one of the usual suspects and not some unknown niche audiophile product.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:39 pm 

Are Dynaudio products all still made in Europe (Denmark?). B&W has moved almost everything under the 800 series to China. The finish on these speakers is now quite cheap looking, although they still sound quite good. Finish is not even close to my classic 602, DM17 or DM100i, let alone my later 704 and 805s.

Meanwhile even my entry level Focal 706 is made in France with excellent finish.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:44 pm 
Premium User

I think the 600 series is made in China. They have certainly dropped the ball with finish on them. Now you have to buy CM to get anything decent.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:08 pm 

KJT1 wrote:
At which one of their lines do the Dynaudios start to get really interesting assuming one has the appropriate gear to drive them?.

I believe for their price point, almost all their models are interesting & if you like their sound, for sure checking out what model is in your price range is worth doing.

I have the Emit 20's in my secondary/small system, & for their price range, I think they are an excellent speaker. They are actually a cheaper speaker then what I previously had, the Focal Aria 906's & to me a much better speaker/match to my room/taste. Before the Aria's I had the Neat Motive3's. I just checked my Emits & even they say made in Denmark on the back. While the Aria 906's had impressive fit & finish on the outside, I was rather disappointed with the interior foam. They make a nice, custom cut/formed foam assembly to line the speaker but unfortunately they just jam it in there, with no regards to how it fits (seemed to be pretty common complaint from what I saw online). Mine were both basically blocking the ports so I had to pull the drivers to install the foam how it was designed to fit in each speaker. Something you should have to do on a ~$1700 bookshelf.

Personally I preferred the Emit series to the Excite. While yes, the Excite was the more refined speaker, to me, with what I was pairing it with (Nuprime IDA-8), it was just too far on the polite side for me. I've had the Emits for ~8 months or so & have been completely content with them & have no desire to upgrade (which typically isn't always the case for me).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:42 pm 

I don't know how big your room is, since you are looking at the Focus 260s it must be a fair size
The C1 might have a better tweeter/crossover, but bass wise it probably wont be enough to satisfy.
Bookshelf /monitor speakers can be excellent, they do have a physical limitation though.

All the Dynaudio Focus series use a T380 tweeter except for the Focus 380 which used the Esotar II
The T380 tweeter is nearly as good as the Esotar II. I have the Focus 340, it has 180mm woofers and a 150mm midrange
The Focus 260 is a 2 way, its has 170mm woofers and a slightly smaller cabinet.
I have never seen a bad review for the Focus 260 and I think its won a few awards too.
The focus series were phased out, you may be able to find some demo 260s or used for a good price.
The 340s are excellent, very detailed without fatigue, plenty of bass, looks to match and not room dominating.
The dealer I bought mine from has an open box pair of rosewood 340s.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next