Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

For members to post information and discuss events for local hifi related clubs and events.

Please only post non-profit, community oriented clubs and events here. Any events or clubs which require fees of any sort, or organized by a for-profit entity should stick to the Dealers forum.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:36 am 

Hi everyone. I just purchased some items from a fellow audiophile. We were discussing how it's hard to meet other audiophiles on the island... and doing an internet search comes up with no results. I had met one guy here... but he moved back to Ontario. Is there an interest for Vancouver Island audiophiles to have meet and greets, have listening sessions, try your components on others systems... or have our own forum?

Being from Vancouver... I had a number of audiophile friends... where there was a weekly meet for Dim-Sum... followed by going to someones home and discussing audio and listening to music. Some of us would also go to music events.

I have a friend that can make a forum web page, and we could have discussions, get to know each other, and post meet ups and events.

Looking forward to hear some responses. :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:02 am 

This is a generic site but some audio related meetings can be found. Or use the site to create a group of your own as well.

https://www.meetup.com/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:31 am 

I might be interested. It seems the farther north you go on the Island, the thinner the herd gets. I believe there's one other CAM member in the Comox Valley but we haven't met. I'll be interested in seeing what sort of response you get to this.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:04 am 

Hi, I'm, in Sooke.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:07 am 

I'm in Vic. There's a facebook group called
Vancouver Island Audio Club
You might want to check out.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:37 am 

kcross wrote:
I'm in Vic. There's a facebook group called
Vancouver Island Audio Club
You might want to check out.

Haha... I started that group. I wanted it to be for audiophiles, but someone mentioned that it would leave out many people and focuses. So it became the "Audio Club" It's made up of mainly DIY, vintage, and low/medium Fi. It's going great, and I've met some of the locals.

So now I'm looking to create something for Audiophiles to connect.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:54 am 

I have issues with Facebook. It creeps me out so I quit. I know a bit about software and the internet and my caution is justified.

But, I do dig playing tunes on my stereo !

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:17 am 

I'm in Courtenay and available :lol: :lol: Sounds like a plan. Always interested in hearing kit outside my "comfort zone"
Mark

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:29 am 
Premium User

Don't know if this would work for your group - but I'll lay out what I did when I started the Black Hat Desperaudios (before I started a second similar BHD group on Facebook).

I used Google Groups.

That allowed members to recieve messages from other members immediately into their e-mail inbox. They could also set their preferences to recieve the mail as it happens, choose from two different digests, or go to the Group homepage to check in on the conversations.
Of some 220 members in the GG version about 150 chose to receive information immediately - the remainder pretty much split equally between the remaining options.
As a bonus I worked with the fine folks at Used.com (Victoria-based) to set up an account for the BHD members that sent out an Alert to the group whenever any new items were listed For Sale or Wanted in several pertinent audio-related categories. (Most members also are signed up with CAM). Used has an ease of use which allows BHD members to post their gear (or Wanteds) quickly - and it's free as well.
No shortage of BHD folk are members of both the Google Groups and the Facebook versions.

That's how it works for the BHD. There are other options to examine of course but the GG and FB units allow for conversations to start and remain current.

jac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:51 am 

also located in Victoria . some of us here know each other at least in passing or various trades etc. with occasional get togethers. Would certainly be interested in a a slightly more planned approach :D Would be willing to host. Nice to hear from folks "up-Island" . If you are going to the Nanaimo record show at the Legion this Sunday send me a PM and pop by my table to say hello. A great event BTW . Records, beer, burgers . What more do you need.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:01 pm 

spinaker01 wrote:
This is a generic site but some audio related meetings can be found. Or use the site to create a group of your own as well.

https://www.meetup.com/

Thanks Spinaker, I'm aware of Meetups. I signed in and did a search for Audio and it says that there are 36 members interested in audio... and it is stating that it needs an organizer. I know there are fee involved as well... hmmm. I will think about this one.

-- 26 Apr 2017 20:06 --

magman888 wrote:
I'm in Courtenay and available :lol: :lol: Sounds like a plan. Always interested in hearing kit outside my "comfort zone"
Mark

Nice... I'll contact you next time I'm heading up there. :D

-- 26 Apr 2017 20:09 --

revjac wrote:
Don't know if this would work for your group - but I'll lay out what I did when I started the Black Hat Desperaudios (before I started a second similar BHD group on Facebook).

I used Google Groups.

That allowed members to recieve messages from other members immediately into their e-mail inbox. They could also set their preferences to recieve the mail as it happens, choose from two different digests, or go to the Group homepage to check in on the conversations.
Of some 220 members in the GG version about 150 chose to receive information immediately - the remainder pretty much split equally between the remaining options.
As a bonus I worked with the fine folks at Used.com (Victoria-based) to set up an account for the BHD members that sent out an Alert to the group whenever any new items were listed For Sale or Wanted in several pertinent audio-related categories. (Most members also are signed up with CAM). Used has an ease of use which allows BHD members to post their gear (or Wanteds) quickly - and it's free as well.
No shortage of BHD folk are members of both the Google Groups and the Facebook versions.

That's how it works for the BHD. There are other options to examine of course but the GG and FB units allow for conversations to start and remain current.

jac

This sounds like a great idea. Perhaps wait to see if there's enough people/interest first.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:13 pm 

buzzinghive wrote:
also located in Victoria . some of us here know each other at least in passing or various trades etc. with occasional get togethers. Would certainly be interested in a a slightly more planned approach :D Would be willing to host. Nice to hear from folks "up-Island" . If you are going to the Nanaimo record show at the Legion this Sunday send me a PM and pop by my table to say hello. A great event BTW . Records, beer, burgers . What more do you need.

Hi Brian, I will be going :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:28 pm 

buzzinghive wrote:

PM'd you. also going.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:14 pm 

Hi everyone,

I am in Nanoose bay. been at this a while. Open baffles, Horns, tube gear, Accuphase. Far too much equipment. I love Dim Sum. I wish there was a decent place on the Island to have it.

Andy

Attachments:
1468170509031[1].jpg
1468170509031[1].jpg [ 348.08 KiB | Viewed 2024 times ]
IMG_20140712_082334[1].jpg
IMG_20140712_082334[1].jpg [ 193.02 KiB | Viewed 2024 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:35 pm 

Also in Victoria. I have a friend who would be interested too. I'm in the Navy and deployed right now but would be very interested once I'm back in town. I will check up on this thread to see how it progresses.