Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

For members to post information and discuss events for local hifi related clubs and events.

Please only post non-profit, community oriented clubs and events here. Any events or clubs which require fees of any sort, or organized by a for-profit entity should stick to the Dealers forum.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:13 pm 

Mikeyb128 wrote:
Anyone is welcome to come by for drinks, tunes, and some pool. Send me a pm and we can set it up. Bring your CDs or vinyl. I also have tidal on hand. Bring your dog if you have one. Haha

Is it ok if I bring my mistress along? Y'know what they say what happens in Las Vegas stays in Las Vegas.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:38 pm 

tube54 wrote:
Mikeyb128 wrote:
Anyone is welcome to come by for drinks, tunes, and some pool. Send me a pm and we can set it up. Bring your CDs or vinyl. I also have tidal on hand. Bring your dog if you have one. Haha

Is it ok if I bring my mistress along? Y'know what they say what happens in Las Vegas stays in Las Vegas.

Haha mistress is welcome too. Someone needs to drink wine with my
Old lady :P

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:20 pm 
Premium User

guzziguy56 wrote:
Re: Black Hat Desperaudios
Hey Jac , willing to help these Calgary boys get something
started ? Little advice , maybe a new chapter ? White Hat Desperaudios ?
From an Audiofool , Rob

Sorry I'm a little late to the thread here - been kinda' busy with both the Black Hat Desperaudio Group and the Edmonton Music Collectors Show - Spring 2018.

More than happy to offer up some tidbits of support!

I've had surprisingly very few inquiries from the "White Hat" audio enthusiasts from Southern Alberta over the years but there's no reason that pack shouldn't have a "club". (I've had more membership requests from India and Australia than I have had from Southern Alberta. No idea why that is.)

I started "BHD" with a Google Groups format (mass mail) and continue to use that as well as creating a Facebook group.

I did state an intent to keep the BHD as a geographically restricted entity - from Red Deer and north from there within the Province of Alberta - and it remains so.

I did have the luxury of knowing quite a few of potential members through my Revival Audio business - and I'll confess I gleaned more by snooping through the CAM members list. Many more came via a 'word of mouth"!

The reason for forming the Black Hat Desperaudios was much the same as why we started Canuck Audio Mart. There was an obvious and apparent need (before CAM) that Canadian audio folk didn't really have a way to buy/sell/correspond with other Canadians.
So - enter Canuck Audio Mart (Thanks Rick Mc).

Then I realized that the region around here was much in the same boat - given the number of calls I'd get from audio enthusiasts looking for stuff and/or did I know where to find or who might have it or was there an electrotech to be found anywhere locally.

So - sat down with my wife and a couple hours is all it took to kick the BHD idea into a working entity. And now it's pretty much all self-sustaining.
Still picking up a member or three nearly every week (particularly via Facebook).

So - Southern Alberta should get something under way. So should Saskatchewan and Winnipeg and Vancouver (Victoria has one) and the rest of any sizeable region within Canada.
It's a good thing to know your audio neighbours.
And we're still all under the umbrella that is the mothership - Canuck Audio Mart!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:45 pm 

You might see if Ross over at Absolute Audio Video in Bowness knows if anything is going on. Ross had been on the audio scene in Calgary for a very long time. His store often throws fun, group oriented stuff, so who knows what's up:
http://www.absoluteaudio.ca/news-and-events

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:08 pm 

Count me in. I’m not an audiophile by any means but happy to share the passion.
If wine, scotch or cigars are involved I would not complain! :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:24 pm 

I’ve tried to branch out a bit here in calgary, via meeting other members. And I’m surprised that people have little interest with meeting new people and having a listen to each others systems. I’ve been a customer at absolute audio for years, I frequently attend their audio gatherings and always have a great time, not to mention Ross is a great host, and often stays after hours to listen to his beautiful systems with you. The guy loves music and has a few drinks with you in the process! Great guys over at absolute!

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:32 am 

Just found this :) I am also in Calgary, and would be interested in joining such a club. If you guys are taking this up, please PM me and let me know. I have a smaller space (condo), and my kids half the time, but am willing to host small groups occasionally as well, with the aforementioned caveats in consideration. I have been dying to hear other systems and house sounds, and I just can't keep buying and selling gear to accomplish that :)

Thanks!

Scott.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:26 am 
Premium User

Me three! I'm north of the city and I like beer. :D

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:09 am 

Speaking of which I will have three audiophiles visiting me for a get-together tomorrow night. The other one is a good friend of mine and the other two guests that he'll be bringing with him will be a stranger to me for the time being anyway. The reasons for this get-together besides drinking wine and taking advantage of some of the hors-d'oeuvres that wife will be preparing is to get acquainted and learn from each other.

Truth to be told my dedicated listening room is in the state of chaos for the time being due to the renovation that I'm doing to make the room more acoustically friendly. Insofar according to my audiophile friend's comment after a long audition last week he says that I'm getting closer to my goal more so than ever before, as he never heard a system sounding almost natural and well-balanced before. By the way, my speaker system is capable of reproducing the 37Hz -+0dB flat frequency response. I also added a 15" powered subwoofer that's capable of reproducing all the way down to 16Hz. So taming the 20-25Hz frequency range beast in my listening room will be a challenge for sure...

-- 05 May 2018 04:41 --

Just an update from our get-together last night. I primed the wines by chilling them for about 15 minutes to make sure that wine palate was to their liking before drinking them. Everybody brought their favorite music with them which was nice as it saves me a lot of time and effort as I didn't have to go through to a lot of trouble of having to thumb through my collections to find the music that they liked.

All I can say is I have gained two more friends after the night was over. I suppose this is one of the upsides of being part of this hobby. A good time was had by all. Next on our agenda will be another get-together and this time it will be hosted by one of our new found friends.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:16 am 

I just moved from Edmonton to Calgary and I'm already missing my Blackhat Ted friends.

We should really start something! I might even be willing to recreate a Facebook account to get it started... I'm not terribly internet savvy but one can try.