Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:46 pm 

Thanks for the memories CBC .You
Really screwed up this time . So now the
Yagi will be looking at you Vermont public radio .

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:02 pm 

Tonic wasn't my bag, The signal was OK but I found it quite repetitive - when Laurie liked a tune boy did we now about it. Might be before you young whipper snappers' time but Augusta la Paix, host and creater of Brave New Waves was outstanding. That was paradigm shifting radio in the mid 80's. Stopped listening when Brent Bambury (sp?) replaced her.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:23 pm 

adpopulum wrote:
Tonic wasn't my bag, The signal was OK but I found it quite repetitive - when Laurie liked a tune boy did we now about it. Might be before you young whipper snappers' time but Augusta la Paix, host and creater of Brave New Waves was outstanding. That was paradigm shifting radio in the mid 80's. Stopped listening when Brent Bambury (sp?) replaced her.

Yes Brave New Waves was the pinnacle of CBC for me as well. I listened from the mid 80's until it ended. Midnight to 4am, that was the dawn of home recording for me. I would listen as long as I could stay awake and even record it so I could listen the next day to what I missed. Started with cassette, then HiFi VHS, then cd and dvd burners.
The Signal was always enjoyable as well. But I agree, the repetition eventually turned me off a bit.
For ultimate sound quality it was hard to beat Sunday Live and Two New Hours for all the recordings that CBC made at performances across the country. The FM broadcasts of these sound more real than most commercial releases.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:20 pm 

Totally broken by the loss of Tonic. And now I notice that CBC Francais doesn't seem to be broadcasting their jazz / blues show on Fridays... or was that just the last 2 weeks? Sad / triste.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:46 am 

I got the exact same message from CBC word for word.

I haven't listened to that time slot since Tonic went off the air, and may have to resort to tapes or other media rather than listen to the replacement programming. It looks like all we have now is Saturday night jazz till they decide to do away with that too.

CBC does not care about over the air programming any more, either TV or radio. When they went digital I lost the local CBC station since they couldn't be bothered. Thanks again for another kick in the teeth CBC!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:08 am 

In a nut shell, the CBC was established in the late 1920's and early 30's
to help protect Canadian culture and heritage from American Corporatism.

Not wanting to offend anyone, I've held off on posting this until now - but since Trudeau and the Heritage Minister
have come to office, the CBC has changed its guidelines for independent producers.
Here is a section of the new guidlines

Ultimately, CBC Television's goal is to be representative of contemporary Canada - its look, sounds and sensibilities - through the stories and characters that we bring to life.
The reflection of the country's diversity is key to achieving this goal. It is also critical to being relevant in the hearts and minds of the evolving Canadian public.
It is important to us that all Canadians be able to recognize themselves on-air and that our television programs reflect the changing face of Canada.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:00 am 

Countless evenings were enjoyed listening to the CBC with memorable eye blinking good sound quality with a "you are there presence " through various tuners I used over the decades however as usual all good things must come to an end ,.
My Accuphase tuners are long gone now only to be replaced by a mediocre vintage tuner for daily A.M. talk shows and the odd CBC mid day program for back ground noise as I go about house hold chores ,.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:09 am 

Really sad to see Tonic and Tim go. Sent a message to CBC R2 and received the same canned reply from Yumi Hayashi.

The thing is, I'm not even old. I'm peak millennial and I still listened to Tonic every night. I would tune into CBC's live jazz stream if I could, but I can't afford a big enough data plan to do that. (Or, if I could afford it, I might tune into another program, e.g. CKUA) This is why I feel public broadcasting is important for Canada.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:03 am 

I still listen to CBC Radio One for news and information programming, but most of the corporation's recent decisions for music have left me cold. I was a big fan of "After Hours" when Ross Porter was host and even later with Andy Sheppard. "Tonic" was somewhat light weight in its selections, although Tim Tamashiro was an amiable host. I never really got into The Signal, mostly because of the later hour during the weekday.

Certainly the ground breaking days for me were back in the 80s when "Brave New Waves" and "Nightlines" were first launched. I was also a fan of "Two New Hours" with its emphasis on newer classical music.

Now it seems we are left to seek out our pleasures of discovery by going online, rather that tuning into the FM.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:32 am 

I rarely listened to Tonic for more than a half hour. Music selection was pretty hit and miss to my tastes. But most times I do enjoy 91.1 Jazz fm on Saturday afternoon, especially Café Latino.
I never really compared their evening programming to CBC Tonic. But I just have to ask...what's wrong with tuning into 91.1 instead of CBC? Then you could listen to jazz 24/7, if that's your thing. Yes I know the two stations do have a different sound signature, but...?
(and of course the really annoying advertisements on 91.1 can be a turn off)

Last edited by newmusic on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:07 am 

ncoligan wrote:
I was also a fan of "Two New Hours" with its emphasis on newer classical music.

Now it seems we are left to seek out our pleasures of discovery by going online, rather that tuning into the FM.

You can still hear some newly composed (late 20th and 21st century) classical on Sunday afternoon CBC2. The live recordings they present often include 'new music'. (living composers)

Your best bet for 24/7 classical/electro-acoustic/electronic, 'new music', is the CBC online channel 'Canadian Composers'. Astoundingly interesting and diverse programming there. :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:40 pm 

This is the point when listening to cbc 2; no commercials. Radio really stinks when advertising takes up the airwaves to your favorite stations.
I'm not a real fan of jazz and I have a handful of cds, but listening to tonic or afterhours with Ross Porter was a real enjoyment. It set an environment that was similar to celebrating Christmas when you were a kid. The earlier programming on cbc was a delight like David Wisdom on weekend evenings. All gone now.
As I stated before, the likes of Rich D Frie and substitute radio J's is awful with it's just as awful repetitive new music albeit with some interesting tunes.
There is still enjoyment to be had on weekend cbc radio which is some consolation.
I guess as you age things are not the same anymore as they once were.
If cbc wants to make things interesting again then why not bring back a rock/pop/electro music play list with documentaries from yesteryears with charismatic , but not over the top dj's on late night/over night programming?
Just my 2 cents worth.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:39 pm 

I still miss Eclectic Circus but, to be fair to CBC, Alan McPhee is not replaceable and, in 2017, probably not legal.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:03 pm 

I received a reply from CBC Audience Relations the other day and it wasnt the typical cut and paste replies others got and I`m glad that I did because
I was not aware that the last two hours featured similarly styled music of The Signal. I tuned in the past couple of nights and I can confirm this.
I also tuned into the new Saturday Night Jazz with host Laila Biali last weekend and it too featured similar programming to Tonic.
While better than nothing, I find both programs to be mere reverberations of the original shows. The CBC would be hard pressed to replace those hosts even if they were to keep the shows, programming and time slots.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:38 pm 

I used to listen to CBC and some of the broadcasts were worthwhile but I have come to loathe it. WAY too P.C. and biased for my tax dollar. Who is the faggy breathy queer who does the voiceover at the top / bottom of the hour and the station I.D. call? (i.e. "you're listening to CBC Radio Two"). He sounds like he's random calling you at 2am from a payphone wearing nothing but a fedora and rain coat. DUMP that guy and get someone that sounds like a man. Bill Guest is turning over at 78RPM in his grave.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next