Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:58 am 

zon001 wrote:
musid streem, why. I want to listen to analogue music. not that poor mp3 quality streaming sh.. streaming is for kids that what everything free even it is sound like c...p

apparently you have not explored the quality that can be available through streaming; but hey to each his own. I prefer to explore the music.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:25 am 

Tonic and especially The Signal were on regular around here. The new show doesn't appeal in the same manner.

At least Laurie Brown has a podcast now.

https://www.lauriebrown.ca/pondercast

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:04 am 

mpublicover wrote:
zon001 wrote:
musid streem, why. I want to listen to analogue music. not that poor mp3 quality streaming sh.. streaming is for kids that what everything free even it is sound like c...p

apparently you have not explored the quality that can be available through streaming; but hey to each his own. I prefer to explore the music.

well if it sounds as crappy as music on the my dish. it is not worth sh.. I this is not hi fi.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:36 am 

I knew something was amiss when I did not find Tonic at the regularly programmed time. Now there is just the Jewel and Chez that interest me. I have something like 15 tuners plugged in...what a bummer!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:37 am 

Radiotron wrote:
Why do I even have a tuner now? Tamashiro's was the only radio show I listened to.

I spent my audio life to find a Scott 310E and Kenwood 650T so that Tonic came in as beautiful as we could make it. Back to vinyl.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:57 am 

zon001 wrote:

+ infinity

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:24 am 

I loved that jazz show with Tim Tamashiro, but life goes on. Good luck to him!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:27 am 

My wife and I loved Tonic and it's a shame to see it leave the CBC program list. While I appreciate the jazz streams CBC has available one thing that is lacking on all their streams is any discussion of the music such as we got from Tim or as we currently do from Ben Heppner and Paolo Pietropaolo on the classical side. Tonic will be missed as will The Signal.

Someone has to tell CBC Brass that aging boomers are the largest market and will be for another 10 to 20 years, particularly for radio.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:58 pm 

zon001 wrote:

Hey, now...Tonic was the reason I own my Harman T403 Tuner. I would listen to it almost nightly while doing work; I'm going to miss it greatly. Kicker is, I'm 19...some of us "kids" actually do care about sound quality. And on that note, the stream isn't THAT bad. It's not like FM's 50hz-15khz is ideal either.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:14 pm 

zon001 wrote:
mpublicover wrote:
zon001 wrote:

well if it sounds as crappy as music on the my dish. it is not worth sh.. I this is not hi fi.

albinosquirlz wrote:
zon001 wrote:

+ infinity

Ime several decades past childhood and I spend thousands on music purchases every year. I also thoroughly enjoy streaming music on a reference quality stereo every day. Your blanket statements don't apply here. If it wasn't for streaming music I probably would spend far less on music purchases. I hear new things that peak my interest all the time. Almost every day I add something to my to buy list that I would have never discovered on analog FM's extremely limited programming.

If CBC online or Stingray on cable sounds poor then there must be an issue with how you have it hooked up to your stereo, or with your cable box or computer. I have gone to great lengths to hook my cable box to my stereo with an expensive interconnect as well as powering it with a high end power cable/conditioner, not to mention an H.R.S. platform underneath, including footers and anti vibration top weight.
I am continually astounded how good these streaming channels can sound. (with the right ancillary equipment and hook up cables) Of course they aren't as good as cd or vinyl. About the only area that I find them seriously lacking is in terms of dynamics and extension. Other than that, the tone, detail/resolution, and musicality is surprisingly excellent. I work mostly from home and listen to music all day, so if CBC radio is not playing what I like (normally that's the case) then streaming is my go to. In my car I prefer the variety on CIUT 89.5 to CBC radio programming most of the time anyway.

Its programing content/variety over absolute sound quality for me any day. Fortunately I have utilized some audio accessories that maximize quality and make streaming content sound surprisingly good. My fm tuner is seeing less and less use every day.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:25 pm 

there is nothing wrong with my krell /Wilson audio systeme.good for you if mp3 quality satisfy you. but like you said it is not as good as a cd quality. ( I listen to dvd , bluray, sacd, dvd audio quality every day) on that systeme it is like comparing cherry to lemon, one of the 2 leave you with a sour taste. sometime when my brother come ,I put on galaxie for him to listen to is pop S..t music. and immidiatly can hear compressed sound with poor bass response and 0 imaging,dead liveless poor sound, but HEy if it keep him happy, I do it . but you cannot seriously consider this as good sounding media.and my McIntosh tube fm tuner sound 10 times better than that galaxie compressed sound.it s spooky good.
if it sound bad I just loose interest in it. and why bother spending thousand of dollar on good equipement, if it s for listening to poor quality sound.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:02 pm 

I haven't listened to Galaxie through a cable box but have tried CBC streams through Sonos; and they are about as poor as it gets for sq. in comparison to so many others

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:12 pm 

For me streaming and FM is all about discovering new music to feed my habit of constantly purchasing new media. Variety wins over ultimate sound quality.
The quality and the diversity of programming on Stingray and CBC online is astonishing. I have a fairly serious system but I still consider myself a musicphile first and audiophile second. My obsession with high end audio gear is merely an extension of my obsession with music.
My problem is, that I bore easy. I spend around $100 or more almost every week on new records and cd's. After I listen to each one a few times, that's it. I return to streaming to find something new to buy.

Last edited by newmusic on Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:02 pm 

I find the internet radio screen in iTunes to be a great source for stations. There are about 10K stations listed, though not all will play. They provide a brief description of the station so you have a better idea of the format and you can set it to show the kbps.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:22 pm 

The simultaneous loss of these 2 back to back programs have left quite the musical void.
Up until last week,FM had been my primary source of music for the past few decades. Some might find that odd especially in 2017 with so much else available from internet radio and other forms of online streaming but much of my interest lay in the programs of mostly local/regional stations as well as CBC and Radio Canada. I could easily listen to 6 hours or more of FM daily. That said, I was able to justify investing several thousands of dollars in good quality tuners over the years beginning with an FT-11 and going up the Magnum Dynalab line to an MD-90 and finally the current MD-100.
Each upgrade yielded a noticeable increase in sound quality which translated to even more musical enjoyment. On more than one occasion, people were shocked to learn that the music playing through my system was radio! Yes, FM can be that good.
In my attempt to lessen the musical withdrawals, I began checking out some Stingray channels through my cable box which thankfully are pretty diverse in terms of selection but the sound quality is quite disappointing compared to FM.
I`m wondering if an external DAC would help matters a little.

There seems to be some debate here over FM versus streaming, both have their strengths and weaknesses and they shouldn't be compared directly.

I guess the bottom line here is to explore what is available beyond FM, let the search begin :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next