Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:38 am 

about three years ago I turned the dial to ICI-Musique and rarely does it vary. I get classical on saturday morning, some jazz/folk in the evenings, although that is changing - i used to get jazz starting around 4:30 but that is now gone too.

CRTC chooses (or at least used to) FM stations formats to ensure that there is something for every taste. I remember back in the early 90's the fight to get a hip-hop/rap/dance/house station licensed in Toronto while the CRTC was pushing for a country as there was no country format station on the dial at that time in Toronto.

well, with all the changes over the years, where is the jazz/classical format in Vancouver? I used to have CBC for those, but they are gone and instead I have no end of iheartmusic affiliates or soundalikes. the only non-classical/jazz station I can stand is the 60/70/80 station that basically plays my high-school and university soundtracks. as the CBC (radio2 and ICI) whittles away the classical/jazz i end up on the 60/70/80 format station or streaming the jazz stations from TO. the bandwidth is horrid, but it is better than nothing, and still better than moving back to Ontario where I could maybe, just maybe get OTA again.

there is one [almost] other jazz option in Vancouver and that is the NPR and KNKX out of the Seattle area. they play a lot of jazz. problem is, they are overlaid by the CBC stations. For example, i can get NPR at 105.5 but Radio2 is at 105.7 and a stronger signal to boot (i have line of sight to the transmitter). it is like that all the way down the dial. a CBC station one position off from the NPR or KNKX frequency.

For classical there is King FM from seattle, it has no CBC collisions but i just can't pull that in on my Terk and Sansui 9900. sigh.

overall, my FM experience is just summed up as "gaak".

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:44 pm 

tune in to commercial free

radioparadise.com

my eclectic - seeking friends - in high quality sound too!! Enjoy!!