Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: CBC Radio 2 Tonic RIP
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:18 pm 

It looks like they couldn't find a permanent replacement for host Tim Tamashiro so they replaced the entire show :(
Sad to see Laurie Browns The Signal disappear too.
Sigh..

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:21 pm 

Really?!? I didn't know about that. What a shame. I listen to Tonic pretty often; it's the main use of my tuner. What's replacing it?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:35 pm 

David P wrote:
Really?!? I didn't know about that. What a shame. I listen to Tonic pretty often; it's the main use of my tuner. What's replacing it?

A show called After Dark, 4 hours of it.
CBC Jazz has been a daily ritual here since the days of Ross Porter and then Katie Malloch for the past couple of decades. The CBC may be trying to appeal to younger listeners with this new program, doesnt do it for me however.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:45 pm 

ya and it was the only listenable music they played. and now they play some pop music?/#%%$ very sad. have I ever said I hate pop music. I hate pop music. you have 60 % of radio station playing pop . and now another one, bite the dust. until they come back with other format like jazz or new age music, they are loosing me as a listeners.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:52 pm 

I miss that Tonic has been done away with and I'm also going to miss the Signal. Much of the new music that I listened to has been from Laurie Browns show! That being said," After dark" last night with the new host was pretty good after 10.00. It's following the programming that Brown had during her tenure with The Signal. Maybe there is a new jazz night planned in the near future?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:08 pm 

All the more reason to lobby for an increase in the CBC budget, say, to restore it to what, in real dollars, it was in the 1970s.

The Corp. in fact made a formal application to the Gov't for a substantial increase, but that was probably a year ago and I've not heard anything more about it. . .

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:09 pm 

Compared to the Signal, I found After Dark quite boring. Musically it was all over the place, with New Country mixed in with Patrick Watson and R&B with a Jazz, Blues & Pop. In other words, trying to be everything. CBC's Jazz show was never my thing, but I tuned in the Signal every chance I got.

I think with the "lets play everything" approach they'll lose a lot of listeners...though I guess background music when entertaining guests is one thing it would be suitable for.

BB said it best... "The thrill is gone".

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:24 pm 

That sucks big time. I really liked Tim Tam. Jazz in the evening was my thing. I'm despondently in mourning.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:33 pm 

The CBC has a long history of being its own worst enemy. Cancelling programs enjoyed by many people in search of more and younger listeners.

The Signal was a treasure with Laurie Brown.

But Tonic was just too dumbed down after the great jazz programs hosted by Katie Malloch and Ross Porter.

The Mother Corp. may one day learn to appreciate the audience it has rather than court youngsters with private sector-style programming, but I doubt it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:37 pm 

dr.joe wrote:
All the more reason to lobby for an increase in the CBC budget, say, to restore it to what, in real dollars, it was in the 1970s.

The Corp. in fact made a formal application to the Gov't for a substantial increase, but that was probably a year ago and I've not heard anything more about it. . .

I`m afraid an increase in budget wont solve things, I`ve seen first hand how loose they are with public funding. Whats needed and long overdue is a ground up restructuring.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:23 pm 

Why do I even have a tuner now? Tamashiro's was the only radio show I listened to.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:40 pm 
Premium User

I made a comment on the CBC radio website last night after realizing it was gone. I built part of my system around listening to "Tonic". My tuner is a Lafette Tube Tuner , Tonic took on a special magic being played through it.

CBC was very prompt in responding to me comment. The reply is below. I would encourage everyone to do the same.

My comment to them.

I am very disappointed with the schedule and show change with CBC and Tonic. I learned about Jazz from Tonic and spent most evening listening to it. It had become a tradition and a way to be exposed to music that was not be played on general radio anymore. Now it is gone. There is no reason for me or my household to listen to CBC anymore. You really made a mistake with the change. You will not be pulling in new listeners, you have lost loyal ones. Shame on you, CBC !

CBC's reply.

Audience Services (CBC)

Sep 6, 13:10 EDT
Hello,

Thank you for your email to CBC.

We appreciate your interest in CBC's Radio 2 programming and we thank you for your thoughtful comments regarding Tonic.

As you have already discovered, Tim Tamashiro left Tonic on June 30. He posted a lovely YouTube clip, explaining why he decided to leave the show. You can view it at:

https://twitter.com/TimTamashiro/status ... 6143200256

We appreciate your passion for the show, and will ensure your thoughtful comments about Tim Tamshiro, Tonic and the schedule changes that have arisen in the wake of his departure are shared with the appropriate producers and executives at CBC Radio.

We're also excited to share the news about Saturday Night Jazz, a new program set to launch on CBC Radio 2 in fall. We do hope you will listen in when it premieres. For more details, visit:

http://www.cbcmusic.ca/posts/18974/cbc- ... night-jazz

Additionally, we would encourage you to explore the various Jazz streams that are available on CBC Music:

http://www.cbcmusic.ca/genres/jazz-blues

Thank you again for your email and your input!

Yumi Hayashi, Communications Officer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:27 pm 

They don't really care about a few old dudes with fm tuners. It's all about the streaming channels and the web site now. I am a multi decade CBC enthusiast. I listen to almost everything. Grew up listening to Brave New waves. More recently I enjoy The Signal, two new hours, classical in the morning, live classical on Sundays, Choral sunday etc. etc. Ime more upset about losing the Signal than anything. I was obsessed with that show for the first several years that it aired. I even had my dvd recorder hooked up to my tuner, so I could record the program every night, then listen to it the next day at work.

I also really like the CBC streaming internet channels. The variety and quality of the music programming is astonishing. CBC used to have something to do with music programming for the Stingray channels that come in over cable boxes, satellite and the net. Not sure if they are still involved with that. I love it all. The only negative was when Rogers took over my cable company and instantly eliminated almost half the music channels. Including two of my favourites, Classical Indian, and World Carnival, among others.
Ime getting of topic. But yes, its unfortunate, things change, favourites disappear, so perhaps its time to seek out something new.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:22 am 

musid streem, why. I want to listen to analogue music. not that poor mp3 quality streaming sh.. streaming is for kids that what everything free even it is sound like c...p

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:26 am 

Wow I didn’t know that. That’s too bad. It was so easy to just turn on the radio in the evening and listen to Tonic in the background. I will miss it for sure.
CBC is really going downhill with that pop music crap they are playing more often. And their new website sucks, especially on my iPhone.
Thanks cdn_borne, I wondered what happened to Tim. That was an interesting video by Tim.