Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:06 pm 

List the top 3 tuners you have had experience with. Not looking to slag any brand, rather tell everyone what you think the top tuners are.

I will start: YBA/Audio Refinement, Magnum Dynalab MD108, Quad FM4 (in no particular order).
The Quad was quite good once a few basic upgrades were made (more modern IC chips, new caps) and was euphonious.
I heard the MD 108 in a store and was surprised at the quality of sound, until I saw the price! Figures.
Similarly, heard the Audio Refinement ans was surprised at the sound quality.

Last edited by Vinyl Guy on Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:03 pm 

1) philips 22ah673
2) kenwood t-600
3) philips 185

Ofcourse my opinion. But revering to on air neutral - not cable course most tuners are on cable equally good reception wise - FM analog stereo reception without and or with a hooked up passive or active in-outdoor analog antenna (tread); lowest hiss fm tone stereo image low till none distortion and or under or over modulation and sound frequency specification. The above three tuners and all other brand fm stereo tuners based on these tuners; have my preference.

Just cable use, sound experience taste and looks build quality price gadgets like station presets etc. etc wise, the outcome could be different; also for me.

note: i do currently own these tuners; except for the 22ah673 which i don't own, but have owned both european and usa versions in the past.

Last edited by sybrand1964 on Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:56 am, edited 10 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:25 am 

I will list my order of preference of tuners that I have actually owned.

1) Yamaha CT7000
2) McIntosh MR71
3) Tandberg 3001A

Notable mention: McIntosh MR80, Fanfare FT-1a, Accuphase 108

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:58 am 

Considering I have minimal requirement for a tuner, there is one really good tuner that is very inexpensive. The Marantz 2020. It's as good or better than the more expensive Marantz 2110 which I have also owned. That's one of the three models in the series that had the ubiquitous b&w tv tube signal strength meter. The Yamaha CT 1010 and the Luxman T110 are other great tuners as well but the Marantz is the little known winner of the bunch.

BTW, I have never seen a website dedicated to audio that is more complete and informative than fmtunerinfo.com . Although, like I mentioned earlier I rarely listen to the tuner since in Toronto we have minimal stations I'm into. How often can you listen to Jazzfm fund raisers?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:26 am 

Magnum Dynalab FT-101A blue circuit board modded (4 stars), MD100 (5 stars) , and best bang for the buck is a Quad FM4.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:35 am 

I have not tried many a tuner. But, I did spend some coin on my Cambridge Audio 650T. It has Sirius, which was something I had really wanted for home use, and it seems to work great. FM reception is good, but I am just using an indoor antenna. Unfortunately, on the island, there aren't many options for channels. So, I feel this is likely suffice. I have wanted a MD antenna for a while, but I'm not sure it would make much difference. I have also used a Toshiba tuner than drew in channels seemingly better, but it was also an analogue tuner. With a decent antenna, I'm sure I could get better reception, but it draws in the FM fairly good so far!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:53 am 

I currently own 4 of the 84 tuner shootout units.
Nikko Gamma 1, V, kenwood 815, Nikko TRM 800
In that order. I prefer the Gamma 1 as my #1 sounding. The V is new to me. Sounds different, but all indications of superior technical product. ($700 in 1978 dollars, it should)

The tuner shootout started in 2002.
I found it interesting from the many many technical hints.
Soundwise I felt it was more than just subjective on a human level, but isolated to the geographic test area of what stations were available then, there.
I say this as like all synergistic discussions in audio, one persons best tuner might sonically work well with a certain stations bandwidth, transmitter quality, proximity, and the same tuner might fail on a different station and proximity...and a failing station might sound better on a different tuner.

analog and digital also churn the mix. I have a inexpensive Onkyo T4500 that is nice sounding unit for the $20 paid.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:11 am 

See....we all 100 % agree! NOT! ;-)

Last edited by sybrand1964 on Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:53 am 

I've owned 3 tuners: a cheap AKAI digital tuner I bought in the 80's and it was harsh and unpleasant. Long gone and I can't remember the model number. I have an Arcam T61 which is very nice, good presets, seem to capture signals well with a rabbit ear antenna, sounds fine. My favorite? A vintage Akai AT-2250 analogue tuner. It simply sounds more musical than the Arcam. I don't channel surf a lot so the lack of presets doesn't bother me. I use it with a Godar FM1A indoor antenna.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:59 am 

Burmester 915/Sansui TU-9900
Nikko Gamma V
McIntosh MR-71

I don't own any of these tuners but have done extensive listening tests while I have them on my bench using off-the-air reception. All these tuners were restored, modified, re-designed and aligned.

I currently have a Joseph Chow hacked Sansui TU-X1 that is waiting to be restored so the list above might change.

Last edited by ej251awd on Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:21 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:09 am 

I will limit my comments to those I've either owned or had direct exposure at a friends place.. so, here goes:

-MD107T my current top dog, replaced my old MD102T which was pretty nice sounding too, but the 107t aces it, and it SHOULD ! for the $$ :roll:

-Luxman T12, beautiful sounding, but prone to needing frequent tune ups.. sigh.. it may soon hit the market.

- Sansui TU717 and TU9900, as good as they say.. I rather regret selling the good 717 sample I had.. :shock:

Beyond the top 3..

- Technics ST9030,.. this thing will pull in stations after they sign off !! crazy for grabbing fringe stations, sonically decent, but a bit "flat" and one dimensional compared to the others.
- Yamaha CT1010, a bit of a surprise, lovely sound... big old school box cosmetics.. can't go wrong if you snag one at a decent price.
-NAD C427 - a nice modern tuner, not the most sensitive thing,.. fussy about antenna, but sonically, quite decent. Lots of creature comforts.. remote, timer, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:54 am 

Quote:
BTW, I have never seen a website dedicated to audio that is more complete and informative than fmtunerinfo.com

I have tried a couple of their recommended tuners and did my own mini shoot out. The Pioneer F99X and Technics ST-G7 vs an original Magnum Dynalab FT 101A.
In my view, they all sounded a bit veiled and very much "of their time". In the end, I preferred the sound of FT 101A because it was more "natural/ analogue" sounding, but they were all pretty close. I kept the FT101A and took it to be updated. It did cost $300 to do so, but what came back was much better sounding.
While I refer to the fmtuner website, it is only a guide. My experience did vary and personal preference is the key.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:44 am 

Magnum Dynalab hands down, the problem with vintage is parts can be unobtanium, this is an often asked question in forums. I have a MR 74 at a tech that was destroyed by another tech, doubt I will ever see it again. Magnum Dynalab, quality in quality out and great customer service. T

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:00 am 

Of the tuners owned since the late 70s...the Kenwood KT5020 would get the nod for SQ,sensitivity & selectivity.
For SQ only & good value,Sherwood S3000V & Sansui TU 717( PS & audio section cap. upgrades).......still have these 2.
The 9 tube US made Sherwood from 1963 & Kenwood are personal SQ benchmarks.

Last edited by dupont62 on Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:33 pm 

Had a Mitsubishi DA-F20, which finished #9 on that famous fm tuner shootout. Didn't seem terribly remarkable to me, but probably wasn't at its best as it seemed to drift.

Picked up a Tandberg 3001 and it definitely lived up to its reputation. Outstanding!

If you ever want to hear what an over-the-air analog FM broadcast is capable of, listen to one of Jazz FM's live to air concerts from my roof mounted ST-2 antenna with line-of-sight to their transmitter on top of the CN Tower played through the 3001.