Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:23 am 

I pick up a strong CBC R2 signal from Vancouver across the water. Love the 8 pm jazz. I hope this is still closer to the beginning than the end.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:41 am 

RandyB wrote:
NordicNorm wrote:
Time for a moderator to step in and shut this conversation down.

Yes, 'time to shut this conversation down'. Relevant to audio and relevant to the political conversation going on right now in the country regarding CBC radio. And the 'conversation' reflects the diversity of the various opinions on the ground of those in the country regarding the CBC. The 'conversation' explores what options might be available to those if they lose certain cherished programming or how such programming may be saved by switching to less costly formats. Sounds like a good conversation.

I'm all for conversations that reflect a diversity of opinion.

What is not warranted are comments like this one:

"Another poster above even blamed Harper! Unbelievable ignorance. The CBC is a bloated, inefficient, anachronistic, left leaning dinosaur based on a business model from another era."

While I do not begrudge someone's opinion, statements like these are more of an invitation to fight, as opposed to a discussion.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:46 am 

NordicNorm wrote:
RandyB wrote:
NordicNorm wrote:
Time for a moderator to step in and shut this conversation down.

Yes, 'time to shut this conversation down'. Relevant to audio and relevant to the political conversation going on right now in the country regarding CBC radio. And the 'conversation' reflects the diversity of the various opinions on the ground of those in the country regarding the CBC. The 'conversation' explores what options might be available to those if they lose certain cherished programming or how such programming may be saved by switching to less costly formats. Sounds like a good conversation.

I'm all for conversations that reflect a diversity of opinion.

What is not warranted are comments like this one:

"Another poster above even blamed Harper! Unbelievable ignorance. The CBC is a bloated, inefficient, anachronistic, left leaning dinosaur based on a business model from another era."

While I do not begrudge someone's opinion, statements like these are more of an invitation to fight, as opposed to a discussion.

So bring it on. No one is forcing you to read any particular comment. Heaven forbid this isn't conducted like a Pierre Burton interview.

Last edited by Mike Smith on Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:57 am 

ripblade wrote:
Che Cavolo wrote:
It's not free however and it is probably not ever going to be free, or universally available, because too many make too much wealth off it. It's a cash cow for wire providers. CBC broadcasts from remote places all over the country and is accessible over the air to a huge majority of the population. Radio Tuners made 50 years ago are still picking up and replaying radio broadcasts.
I'm not a Luddite, but I don't stream when I have a perfectly good FM radio at my disposal, especially if it's playing 'my song'.

Streams are for when there's nothing better on.

If you could hear my system you would change your mind.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:27 pm 

Perhaps this is true in one very specific sense.

Mike Smith wrote:
No one is forcing you to read any particular comment.

That is, there is no one person standing over me, obliging me to read any given comment.

However the fact that the comment is in writing means I have to read it if I want to know what it is.

So by this logic, if you write a comment, then I have to read it.

Perhaps it would be better, and more in the spirit of the CAM Forums, to say that no-one is obliging me to react to any comment. And indeed, the CAM Forum Rules say to walk away from conflicts in the topic threads.

Mike Smith wrote:
So bring it on.

Actually, please don't.

The CAM Forum Rules say to walk away from conflicts in the topic threads. That is, personal conflict. Flame contests. Scraps.

Polite, well-reasoned discussion is very welcome.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:40 pm 

Well said!
http://www.cbc.ca/radio/
8)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:52 pm 

Toby wrote:
Perhaps this is true in one very specific sense.

Mike Smith wrote:
No one is forcing you to read any particular comment.

"Perhaps it would be better, and more in the spirit of the CAM Forums, to say that no-one is obliging me to react to any comment. And indeed, the CAM Forum Rules say to walk away from conflicts in the topic threads."

Thank you. That is actually the message I wanted to convey before the defense of profligate spending set me off like my hair was on fire. Apologies to the righteously indignant.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:38 pm 

I too miss the old CBC Radio 2 format that primarily featured classical and some jazz. However the switch to attract an easy listening and also 'younger' audience happened quite some time ago, as in years ago. I even had to check to be sure that this wasn't a thread re-incarnated from years ago. There is about 5 hours of classical programming on during week days and a couple of hours of jazz a night. There's a similar mix on weekends. While the classical programming can be a bit adventurous there is nothing on Tonic that woudl offend anyone's pre-conceptions.

There's also Hot Air on Saturday afternoons on CBC1 - at least in the Pacific region.

I'd sure like to see more Classical and Jazz programming on CBC2 - CBC1 rules the airwaves with talk, public affairs, comedy and interest programming and I doubt that is a challenge to any private braodcaster that invariably provides a mix of rock, rap, sports talk and c&w.

I love CBC and I hope it gets more funding so it can rely less on advertising.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:27 pm 

Go Stanley go :!: :!: :!:

http://www.icimusique.ca/webradios/a143/stanley-pean

Attachments:
322435-comme-citoyen-artiste-stanley-pean.jpg
322435-comme-citoyen-artiste-stanley-pean.jpg [ 65.83 KiB | Viewed 434 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:33 pm 

RalphH wrote:
I too miss the old CBC Radio 2 format that primarily featured classical and some jazz. However the switch to attract an easy listening and also 'younger' audience happened quite some time ago, as in years ago.

How about they put CBC 2 back the way it was - with Classical and Jazz.

Then play whatever "inde" music or format they want on CBC 1.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:26 pm 

CBC 2 was great back then - listened for the years 1985 - 1989. Oh, what I learned from Bob Kerr about the pipe organ and devotional music of same! Disc drive dude, Mozart and the guys cats did end up driving me away. There was much more of course.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:34 pm 

Toby wrote:
Polite, well-reasoned discussion is very welcome.

And that^, that right there^, is what you want to hear , if you feel like being treated like an adult. First off, aside from the thread being in the wrong category, when you're talking about a government operated institution, it's bound to turn political.

What I don't understand is why posters feel they can or should make radical indefensible statements, and when challenged, instead of mounting a reasonable defense, they call for moderation?

Second thing I want to know is when that insane 14 year old who got booted out of school for stabbing the teacher with a sharpened hairbrush, murders two nurses escaping from the psyche ward, breaks into your house to steal your stereo and sets the place on fire, who you gonna call?

Uunderhill wrote:

How about they put CBC 2 back the way it was - with Classical and Jazz.

You understand that's going to cost the haters money, and they're not going to like that?

I live and work in two of the crappiest locations for radio reception in Ontario. If I didn't, I'd probably have CBC radio on most of the day.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:42 pm 

Um, CBC ?

Che Cavolo wrote:
when that insane 14 year old who got booted out of school for stabbing the teacher with a sharpened hairbrush, murders two nurses escaping from the psyche ward, breaks into your house to steal your stereo and sets the place on fire, who you gonna call?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:43 pm 

I tried some levity....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:46 pm 

Thread moved to Tuners (Radio).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next