Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:42 am 

http://www.cbc.ca/programguide/personal ... ie_malloch[/quote]

I've been a Jazzer for many years and now am using CBC and The Public library to introduce my self to Classical stuff as well.

Here in Ottawa I listen to CBC radio 1 or 2 in the car, depending on what's playing at the time.
From 10am to about 3 pm. they have classical programming on CBC 2.

In the evening I'll press scan and see what's happening, and I'll usually find Jazz either on a French network CBC or other network and also some College stations.

I don't listen Radio at home usually, although I'll flip on the (Shaw) TV for their Jazz or Classical Galaxie/Stingray programming, Jazz has 2 or 3 choices. There can be some pretty good stuff on there.

I have the feed going thru my stereo, so I don't need the TV on.

It requires a bit of effort to find stuff, and if that doesn't work I'll slide in a CD or Tape.

Ott.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:43 am 

albinosquirlz wrote:
In a capitalist system, you have to remove certain things off the table, or you face the abyss. Public broadcasting is as important as public health care, public education and public police/fire.

+ 1

To add, funding for the CBC, needs to be independent of the Government
so that Political Parties can not influence CBC content.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:46 am 

I respect your opinion and if by chance we ever had the opportunity to sit down and rationally discuss the issue, I'd welcome the chance.
Getting back to the music part, I've been listening on occasion to WRCJ, 90.9 out of Detroit and I find it very entertaining. I think it was a Cam member who mentioned the station and for me at least, it has a good selection of music from many genres. I do use the app to listen as I am too far away from Detroit to be able to use a tuner.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:52 am 

joe mandel wrote:
I respect your opinion and if by chance we ever had the opportunity to sit down and rationally discuss the issue, I'd welcome the chance.
Getting back to the music part, I've been listening on occasion to WRCJ, 90.9 out of Detroit and I find it very entertaining. I think it was a Cam member who mentioned the station and for me at least, it has a good selection of music from many genres. I do use the app to listen as I am too far away from Detroit to be able to use a tuner.

+1 on WRCJ !
The departure of Ross Porter from CBC Radio2 was significant for me as a CBC listener.
Rick

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:29 am 

Hi,

The Disunited States of America are now a living example of what happens when the regulatory agencies that manage broadcast spectrum abandon the public interest for the benefit of private gain. US laws that governed broadcast fairness, to ensure balanced news and opinions, were challenged in US court and finally dropped. Broadcasting (note the word 'broad) quickly became narrow-casting and highly partisan. People tune in to reinforce their already strongly held biases.

Nations cannot function without a clear sense of the 'public interest', otherwise we just have a commercially fueled war of all against all. If all broadcast radio in Canada were privatized, we would only get even more stations featuring whiny teen-girl rock and 'hits from yesteryear'. Lovely thought.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:30 am 

The CBC is still the best listening on the dial. Nationally connects this country. I'd be sad to see it's demise.
That being said, jazz is on every weekday eve, from 7-9 on 91.5 French here in the Halifax area. Friday night blues, same station, also a killer show.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:57 am 

I listen to jazz and classical on both English and French CBC. As someone mentioned, if you don't live in a major metropolitan area and want jazz classical , CBC is all there is.

A major bonus is the quality of the signal. They don't compress the hell out of the signal and the quality far exceeds any other FM station I've been able to receive.

Everything changes. As I get older I just try to be more accepting.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:01 am 

albinosquirlz wrote:
Audio_Guy wrote:
They should shut it down immediate and give us our tax dollars back.

On the contrary...the gov't should fund it properly, rather than try to kill it because it doesn't fit their private corporate ownership agenda.

We need public broadcasting now more than ever before. The CBC was a class outfit that attracted the best talent in the past....and can be again.

+1. Still some of the best programming on the dial....any dial.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:12 am 

One of the CBC station that I prefer the most in Halifax is, CBAX-91.5, Ici Musique - the French-language music radio service of la Société de Radio-Canada. It is the French equivalent of the English CBC Radio 2, although it has a different programming focus. Espace musique primary focus are, four genres of music, classical, jazz, world, and folk music – also including French-language song.

You can find the same station all throughout Canada, in Toronto, 90.3 FM,CJBC-FM, in Calgary, 89.7 FM, CBCX-FM, and so on.

Like some have already mentioned, CBC had some budget cuts, and the Société Radio-Canada was no exception. Re-branding occurred in 2012, 2013, and in 2014, with the biggest budget cut occurring in 2014. Except for some regional programming, what we get now are mostly a retransmission from 100.7 FM, CBFX-FM from Montréal.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:05 am 

Uunderhill wrote:
joe mandel wrote:
Today unfortunately, many senior staff at the CBC clearly don't understand the intended purpose of the CBC
and the CBC is now blatantly being used for political purposes.
This is having a fragmenting effect - rather than unifying Canadian culture.

The CBC needs to get back to its original purpose of representing the cultural interests of Canadians.

Can you provide examples of blatant political purposes?

Certain media (eg. G&M, National Post, Sun) have an editorial slant, but I would not characterize them as being blatantly political. We need more quality media, not newspaper and TV cutbacks. There are so many good programs that are only available on CBC (eg. Vinyl Tap, This is My Music. Quirks & Quarks, The House, Q).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:15 am 

Mr Capitalist himself Kevin O`Leary himself was on a CBC television show.
Even O`Leary will accept taxpayer funded monies.
"Money The Cold Hard Truth"
He wants to be our Prime Minister while living in Boston.
Unpaid Internships are good
Banning unions are good.
Getting rid of minimum wage is good.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:17 am 

natalie wrote:
Mr Capitalist himself Kevin O`Leary himself was on a CBC television show.
Even O`Leary will accept taxpayer funded monies.
"Money The Cold Hard Truth"
He wants to be our Prime Minister while living in Boston.
Unpaid Internships are good
Banning unions are good.
Getting rid of minimum wage is good.

He's Canada's mini Donald Trump.

What's that got to do with the CBC?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:19 am 

albinosquirlz wrote:
Audio_Guy wrote:

On the contrary...the gov't should fund it properly, rather than try to kill it because it doesn't fit their private corporate ownership agenda.

We need public broadcasting now more than ever before. The CBC was a class outfit that attracted the best talent in the past....and can be again.

Well spoken and spot on!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:26 am 

well, now talk,phone, email your MP.....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:32 am 

ripblade wrote:
albinosquirlz wrote:
Audio_Guy wrote:

+1. Still some of the best programming on the dial....any dial.

Riplade, check this free classical music streamer from Venice Italy, we don't need the crap the CBS serves up.

//Venice Classic Radio Italia * USA Server
http://174.36.206.197:8000/stream

and here is my fav jazz streamer:
// Northwest Public Radio
http://134.121.234.129:8000/NWPRKJEM

I understand the CBC streams to only those that have the correct software (purchased). This excludes Linux users.

Most of what the government does is fck'd.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next