Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:20 pm 

CBC Jazz used to have prime jazz as well as live jazz with Jazz Beat, Tonic, and After Hours. In March of 2012 it began the beginning of the end when the ultimate jazz matriarch Katie Malloch decided she was retiring from CBC after nearly 40 years as the top jazz radio host. A very sad day as she was an inspiration and will never be replaced. She had enough of the commercialization of the station chasing after today's youth and I can't blame her. Die hard jazz and classical fans used to tune into the CBC religiously over the last 40+ years. Now it has become a mix of commercial indie rock and pop with minimal classical, jazz, and alternative. Never thought I'd see the day...

http://www.cbc.ca/programguide/personal ... ie_malloch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:51 pm 

For me "the beginning of the end" was when Ross Porter left.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:28 am 

guzziguy56 wrote:
For me "the beginning of the end" was when Ross Porter left.

Agreed, I miss Ross Porter.

On the CBC in general, it sucks beyond belief. They should shut it down immediate and give us our tax dollars back.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:57 am 

I find the mix on CBC Radio 2 to be very much to my tastes and listen to it a lot. I've always been a fan of CBC radio and have enjoyed it since the late 70's even though there has been many personnel changes.
Perhaps it is different in the big cities where there is more choice but out in my neck of the woods, without the CBC, I would be limited to stations that play either Top 40, the same one hundred songs from the 70's and 80's or C&W. No thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:19 am 

Audio_Guy wrote:
On the CBC in general, it sucks beyond belief. They should shut it down immediate and give us our tax dollars back.

Sorry, I can't agree with this. I listen to CBC daily (and have since the late 70's).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:31 am 

In Toronto we still have 91.1 Jazz FM.
Not many stations play Halie Loren.

Smooth Jazz The Wave 94.7 was OK.
It did not last.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:01 am 

i listen to radio Canada, cbc French counterpart, from montreal,they are a great classical reference,but lately they also seems to have change their programmation a bit.they play pink Floyd and other stuff never heard before on that channel.lately.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:20 am 

never CBC radio fan (their classical component 94.1 switched programming a couple years back to indie in the morning and aft rush hours...not my thing so only 96.3 and a buffalo station for classical)

Been listening to 91.1 Jazz fm for almost 30 years BBC news at 8am is great.

Thankfully the internet provides many European Jazz station options as well as classical.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:50 am 

There will always be people that like the CBC and those that don't. Programming changes with the times, after all, there is a station director that is paid handsomely to plot the course to the future rightly or not. My beef with the CBC is how in the world are privately owned news networks supposed to compete with a network (CBC), that is publicly funded through our tax dollars.
For what it's worth, my opinion of the CBC, is to shut it down, its best days are behind them and probably will never return.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:21 am 

Sadly, NPR shut down a good program hosted by George Thomas a number of years back citing lack of interest in the genre,I`m just grateful that these daily CBC Radio Canada programs are still broadcast

http://www.cbc.ca/programguide/program/ ... _tamashiro
and
http://www.icimusique.ca/animateur/21472/peanstanley

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:51 am 

Audio_Guy wrote:
They should shut it down immediate and give us our tax dollars back.

On the contrary...the gov't should fund it properly, rather than try to kill it because it doesn't fit their private corporate ownership agenda.

We need public broadcasting now more than ever before. The CBC was a class outfit that attracted the best talent in the past....and can be again.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:01 am 

joe mandel wrote:
There will always be people that like the CBC and those that don't. Programming changes with the times, after all, there is a station director that is paid handsomely to plot the course to the future rightly or not. My beef with the CBC is how in the world are privately owned news networks supposed to compete with a network (CBC), that is publicly funded through our tax dollars.
For what it's worth, my opinion of the CBC, is to shut it down, its best days are behind them and probably will never return.

In the late 1920's, NBC radio waves were being transmitted from the States, but being listened to by Canadians.
NBC being a private broadcaster.

However, in Britain, the BBC was a publically funded broadcaster.

So in Canada, the Aird Commission decided there would be a balance between the British and US system
and have public and private broadcasters.

The Aird Commission decided there was a need to protect Canadian Cultural interests
and the CBC was created.

Today unfortunately, many senior staff at the CBC clearly don't understand the intended purpose of the CBC
and the CBC is now blatantly being used for political purposes.
This is having a fragmenting effect - rather than unifying Canadian culture.

The CBC needs to get back to its original purpose of representing the cultural interests of Canadians.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:17 am 

I blame Harper. He had no appreciation for the CBC, and slashed funding for it.
The CBC has never recovered.
It still has its moments, but the classical segments have been severely cut, and the library truncated.
There are still still some reasonably decent jazz and blues programs, but when the "contemporary" programming starts shouting at me, forget it.
I'd like to see the CBC properly funded, and more robust, but I.m not holding my breath.

Cheers,
Alec

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:19 am 

Uunderhill wrote:
joe mandel wrote:

In the late 1920's, NBC radio waves were being transmitted from the States, but being listened to by Canadians.
NBC being a private broadcaster.

However, in Britain, the BBC was a publically funded broadcaster.

So in Canada, the Aird Commission decided there would be a balance between the British and US system
and have public and private broadcasters.

The Aird Commission decided there was a need to protect Canadian Cultural interests
and the CBC was created.

Today unfortunately, many senior staff at the CBC clearly don't understand the intended purpose of the CBC
and the CBC is now blatantly being used for political purposes.
This is having a fragmenting effect - rather than unifying Canadian culture.

The CBC needs to get back to its original purpose of representing the cultural interests of Canadians.

I agree with you and I certainly remember listening to Peter Gzoski (sp) and later Andy Barry on the morning show doing honest and at times merciless interviews on the topic at hand. During the tragedy at Charlie Hebdo, in France, I sent off a letter to the CBC, asking why there was no picture of the "cause" of the massacre, and the head of the CBC replied to me, that's not the type of news we think you should see. I reminded him in a return email, that your job is to report the news and not give me your version of it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:32 am 

joe mandel wrote:
My beef with the CBC is how in the world are privately owned news networks supposed to compete with a network (CBC), that is publicly funded through our tax dollars.

I think you miss the big picture, and that is dangerous. In a capitalist system, you have to remove certain things off the table, or you face the abyss. Public broadcasting is as important as public health care, public education and public police/fire.