Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:46 pm 

This morning took ownership of a Sherwood S-2400......

Loving it through the Luxman and Dynaco A-35's
....warm, rich with great depth!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:21 pm 

Now that is a peach! Truly beautiful; vintage gear doesn't get much better than that. Amazing that the cab survived in such pristine condition.

Congrats!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:41 pm 

What a handsome couple! Congrats, proud new Sherwood owner.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:04 pm 

hifijones wrote:
Now that is a peach! Truly beautiful; vintage gear doesn't get much better than that. Amazing that the cab survived in such pristine condition.

Congrats!

Thanks hifijones! .....the gent (a dear friend) did some work on the cab for me before delivery / turned out very nice though!!

-- 03 Mar 2017 00:05 --

mjfn wrote:
What a handsome couple! Congrats, proud new Sherwood owner.

Appreciated mjfn :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:22 pm 

cat9 wrote:

Nice pair. That Luxman is a great integrated amp built during their peak period before selling out to Alpine.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:30 pm 

Musicware4u wrote:
cat9 wrote:

Nice pair. That Luxman is a great integrated amp built during their peak period before selling out to Alpine.

Thx - I like this era Luxman very much. Have his big brother (480) in my main listening room.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:39 am 

:D Love that. That era of Luxman has awesome sound. I used to listen to the big amps with the honeycomb heat sinks and meters whenever I was in New Sound in Halifax or Dartmouth. They also carried Yamaha. which was good ,,,but the Luxman was Jersey cow cream to the Yammies 2% milk :) so to speak. Not dumping on Yamaha, it was nice stuff but I lusted after Luxman gear.It was the first time I ever heard the Yamaha 1000 speakers on Luxman gear. Wow :shock: ! Thanks to Canuk I now run a post Alpine Luxman L503S. Still lust for a Luxman L590GX MK11 but I can't seem to win the lotto. :lol: IT's great to see people just enjoying their music. cheers, lloyd

-- 05 Mar 2017 11:42 --

:oops: OF course I meant I would love to own a Luxman L590Ax Mk11..Need my java :lol:

-- 05 Mar 2017 11:45 --

It looks like the Sherwood was just unboxed, same for the Luxman. .

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:11 am 

Congrats. on the S-2400.....Vintage Sherwood fan here....looks like this gem from the early 70s was only driven on Sundays by Grandma. :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:23 am 

bluenosens wrote:
:D Love that. That era of Luxman has awesome sound. I used to listen to the big amps with the honeycomb heat sinks and meters whenever I was in New Sound in Halifax or Dartmouth. They also carried Yamaha. which was good ,,,but the Luxman was Jersey cow cream to the Yammies 2% milk :) so to speak. Not dumping on Yamaha, it was nice stuff but I lusted after Luxman gear.It was the first time I ever heard the Yamaha 1000 speakers on Luxman gear. Wow :shock: ! Thanks to Canuk I now run a post Alpine Luxman L503S. Still lust for a Luxman L590GX MK11 but I can't seem to win the lotto. :lol: IT's great to see people just enjoying their music. cheers, lloyd

-- 05 Mar 2017 11:42 --

:oops: OF course I meant I would love to own a Luxman L590Ax Mk11..Need my java :lol:

-- 05 Mar 2017 11:45 --

It looks like the Sherwood was just unboxed, same for the Luxman. .

Your ears did similar to what mine did when I first heard this gear......all ears are different and I have NO judgement on where someone lies on the sound spectrum preference scale.....but the sound this 450 and his big brother the 480 I have in my main rig are very satisfying to my ears.

I hope you find your coveted Luxman piece!!!

Thx....they are in pretty nice nic!

-- 05 Mar 2017 18:25 --

dupont62 wrote:
Congrats. on the S-2400.....Vintage Sherwood fan here....looks like this gem from the early 70s was only driven on Sundays by Grandma. :)

Thx - was not used a lot in its lifetime. It's not perfect but for a piece of gear over 40 years old I would consider it pretty nice!

What Sherwood pieces do you have?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:16 pm 

cat9 wrote:

dupont62 wrote:

Thx - was not used a lot in its lifetime. It's not perfect but for a piece of gear over 40 years old I would consider it pretty nice!

....great pickup Cat9 ..... believe the S-2400 had a limited production run,and until a few years ago,this model,for the most part,flew under the radar ....that is, until folks began to discover the excellent SQ of the 2400...and as you may be aware,there is a matching S-9400 integrated amp.

....below is the S-3000V mono/stereo tuner from 1963.A variant of this initial Sherwood FM stereo tuner release was used to demo the first stereo FM broadcast in 61......Sherwood gear was used for the broadcast,which was managed by owner Ed Miller.
Attachment:
sher3000V.jpg
sher3000V.jpg [ 319.17 KiB | Viewed 948 times ]

....and the matching S-5500iii integrated.
Attachment:
sher 5500-1.jpg
sher 5500-1.jpg [ 293.29 KiB | Viewed 948 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:20 pm 

dupont62 wrote:
cat9 wrote:

dupont62 wrote:

....great pickup Cat9 ..... believe the S-2400 had a limited production run,and until a few years ago,this model,for the most part,flew under the radar ....that is, until folks began to discover the excellent SQ of the 2400...and as you may be aware,there is a matching S-9400 integrated amp.

....below is the S-3000V mono/stereo tuner from 1963.A variant of this initial Sherwood FM stereo tuner release was used to demo the first stereo FM broadcast in 61......Sherwood gear was used for the broadcast,which was managed by owner Ed Miller.
Attachment:
sher3000V.jpg

....and the matching S-5500iii integrated.
Attachment:
sher 5500-1.jpg

Very cool!! Yea I have read (a little) about this unit (your tuner) but didn't know it had a corresponding integrated.