Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:33 am 

I have not been able to determine what the function of the connections on the far right (back of tuner) FROM AMP are for? Anyone out there in CAM land know what are they used for? And what does "Input level should be less than 30v (something can't read it) mean?

Attachments:
tu-501.JPG
tu-501.JPG [ 22.72 KiB | Viewed 1452 times ]
402660-denon_tu501_amfm_stereo_analog_tuner_mint.jpg
402660-denon_tu501_amfm_stereo_analog_tuner_mint.jpg [ 105.02 KiB | Viewed 1452 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:00 am 

Power?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:06 am 
Premium User

Believe it or not, those connections are meant to display the power output from the companion Denon amplifiers from that series. Apparently there wasn't enough room available on the PMA-501 and 701 amplifiers for power meters, so they put them on the tuners instead! The meters were multi-function and could be switched from the tuner front panel to display other things.

Just one more weird thing out of Japan in the late 70s.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:09 am 

Those were for connecting your amp to the tuner. The tuner had multifunction VU-meters that at the flip of a switch (left of the tuner dial) would switch from indicating FM signal strenght, center tuning and amp output power.

Edit: OBI56 beat me to it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:31 am 

So you would take the L/R leads from your power amp and hook them to the back of the tuner and then the L/R outputs on the tuner to your preamp? What does the 30v mean? I have a 130 watt amp...does that mean anything?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:20 am 

GWN wrote:
Those were for connecting your amp to the tuner. The tuner had multifunction VU-meters that at the flip of a switch (left of the tuner dial) would switch from indicating FM signal strenght, center tuning and amp output power.

Edit: OBI56 beat me to it.

I tend to favour your answer. :wink: :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:10 am 

Robbie California wrote:
So you would take the L/R leads from your power amp and hook them to the back of the tuner and then the L/R outputs on the tuner to your preamp? What does the 30v mean? I have a 130 watt amp...does that mean anything?

Has me confused :shock: you would think it should be similar to this unit (in from amp....out to speakers.) http://www.thevintageknob.org/denon-TU-500.html

The only other thing I can think of is it hooks up the same as the old Realistic power meter. You ran a wire from your amp into the speaker connector and a second one out from the same connector to your speakers. Basically the meters were just "inline" on route to your speakers if that makes sense.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:13 am 

Robbie California wrote:

As cool as those meters are, they wont give you any useful information other than displaying a balanced signal.
They are currently calibrated to display 0 Db with a 112.5 watt amplifier presumably into an 8 ohm load.
You can safely use your 130 watt amp and get a conservative and relatively close display of full output, again, presuming and 8 ohm load is present.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:34 am 

Got it.

Case closed :)