Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Compact System
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:53 pm 

I am looking for a radio/cd player a la bose wave. Can anyone recommend something. Want something small and all in one that isn't ridiculously priced.

Post subject: Re: Compact System
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:01 pm 

Denon D-M39S

Lovely little system. Around 700.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:41 pm 

Harman Kardon MAS 102 Compact, Integrated Music System https://www.amazon.ca/Kardon-MAS-102-Co ... B00548SKOQ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:02 pm 

This is the upgraded M39S. Has had really good reviews and is a jump up from the 39 in sound quality and it's $50 cheaper!

http://www.whathifi.com/denon/d-m40dab/review

https://www.amazon.ca/Denon-DM40SBK-D-M ... op?ie=UTF8

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:32 pm 

the OP stated he was looking for an all in one piece, such as a Bose Wave.
Tivoli makes such a unit but not sure if the $800 price point is considered 'ridiculously priced'
if he was to rip his cd's to a hard drive then many more options would exist as most such units are now made for streaming and forego the optical drives.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:35 pm 

like Bose wave radio?

maybe google Tivoli or Cambrige Soundworks or...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:20 pm 

Don't buy anything without actually listening to it. And also comparing it to several others of various price points. I went through this with my mom a few years ago. We went to East Hamilton Radio and at that time they had several selections for under $700. The audio mags all recommended the Denon. So we went there to hear that one specifically. It was better than most others at or below its price tag. But the Yamaha completely trounced it for just a little more money. No contest. All the others sounded like garbage. Ya never know until you go out and listen. The Cambridge had an impressive build quality but its price point was around $1k and so beyond what my mom wanted to spend.
I offered to save her some money by selling her my office system, a little Nad integrated ($180) hooked up to some Tannoy book shelf spks($80). Plus a Harmon Kardon tuner($40) and sony dvd($50). But she didn't like the look and complex wiring of seperates even though the sound was better than any of the compact all in one systems we heard.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:11 am 

It might help if people knew where and how you were hoping to use it, e.g. bedroom, kitchen, living room, loud, moderate, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:42 am 

newmusic wrote:
Don't buy anything without actually listening to it. And also comparing it to several others of various price points. I went through this with my mom a few years ago. We went to East Hamilton Radio and at that time they had several selections for under $700. The audio mags all recommended the Denon. So we went there to hear that one specifically. It was better than most others at or below its price tag. But the Yamaha completely trounced it for just a little more money. No contest. All the others sounded like garbage. Ya never know until you go out and listen. The Cambridge had an impressive build quality but its price point was around $1k and so beyond what my mom wanted to spend.
I offered to save her some money by selling her my office system, a little Nad integrated ($180) hooked up to some Tannoy book shelf spks($80). Plus a Harmon Kardon tuner($40) and sony dvd($50). But she didn't like the look and complex wiring of seperates even though the sound was better than any of the compact all in one systems we heard.

Which Yamaha

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:07 am 

The Yamaha TSX B235....

Step dad has a Bose Wave and wish I could have brought it to work with me for an A/B. Every customer looking for Bose Wave got directed to the B235 from Yamaha... almost all bought it once they heard it, and never had one come back. The price being less than Bose didn't hurt either. They are most like Bose Wave IME. There is another Yamaha model that comes in funky colours, has matching but separate speakers with a bit of a 60s aesthetic to it.

That said, Denon and Yamaha make a few nice small shelf systems with a hi-fi look and feel that are very nice micro system options. It's a central unit and two small bookshelf speakers.

The TSX-B235 is worth checking out though if Bose Wave is on your radar.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:44 am 

allgonoshow wrote:
newmusic wrote:

Which Yamaha

When I listened it was a few years ago so models #'s have likely changed. But to paraphrase my last post, it doesn't matter 'which Yamaha' in terms of a model number. It only matters which one you like the sound of. Of course my recommendations may offer a good starting point in your search. But you still have to actually go out and listen to as many as possible. Everyone's taste is different. There is no substitute for actual hands on experience.

I have people ask me all the time if they think x product that they just bought is any good, mostly because they know I have some experience and knowledge with respect to audio reproduction. Rather than state the obvious, 'oh my gad, no', which is unfortunately more often than not the most honest answer. I usually ask back, 'well what did you compare it to in the same price range when you were listening to it for a demo, and how did that influence your decision to purchase product x instead of product y'. Usually followed by blank stares and that embarrassing inner feeling of inadequacy on their part. :oops: