Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:33 pm 

Quote:
A good antenna well mounted will double and possibly triple your station choices.

I agree. You can pick up an external mount FM antenna for under $50. The challenge is mounting it as high as you can. Mounting on a chimney is not as good as a 20 foot tower, which is not as good as a 40 foot tower which is not as good as a 50 foot tower which is not as good as a 75 foot tower, etc. :wink:

I am lucky that I have a tower that is at about 35 feet and I can pick up the Guelph University radio station at times and that is from Oakville near the lake. Reception is affected by many factors, but external mounting of a directional antenna helps address those.

I think you lucked out finding a Dynaco FM5 for $50. Most of what I have seen goes for double that, not including any repairs that are required.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:12 am 

All the info provided by the members is great info & the suggestion to read the volumes of info on the fmtunerinfo.com is also a great suggestion (that's where I did my research as well & ended up with 2 middle-of-the-line FM tuners that cost me $50 or so on Ebay) but one word of caution on esp. all-analog FM tuners that I did not see mentioned in any post so far - you will most likely need it to be tuned/calibrated (unless its been done at the seller's shop in which case you will be paying quite a steep price!). This tuning/calibration has to do with the analog (gang) capacitor array so that the FM tuner dial is accurate i.e. for example, the pointer is at 91.3FM when you are tuned to that station. In my particular case not only was this done but also the output coupling cap was modified to suppress noise & the output buffer opamp was changed to what was considered better than the BB OP627 (I think i remembered the opamp model number correctly?).
Don't forget to add the cost of tuning/calibration to the FM tuner purchase price..
Back when I bought an all-analog FM tuner almost every vintage electronics sales & restoration shop (in the USA) was full up to their eyeballs in work & it was very difficult to get their time. They all wanted me to buy their restored vintage electronics for a pretty penny but wanted me to wait 6-8 weeks to get my repair/tuning on my FM tuner done.....
Maybe the situation is different in Canada?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:54 am 

I live in a basement apartment(below grade) facing south 20 KM north of Pickering, Ontario in a bit of a valley.

I have always had difficulty pulling in stations.

A few years ago I purchased a Fisher tube tuner with a "tuning eye".

Unbelievable, just using a T antenna running up to a window I was pulling in a station from Peterborough which is N/E of me. The sound was also great.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:46 am 

scarbpaul12 wrote:
I'm considering adding a tuner into the line up. I have no clue what the difference is between a good and not as good tuner.
I'm running a celeste 4002 pre and a celeste 4150se amp through energy c9 speakers
Anyway, I'm not looking to break the bank with this piece.
Any info/suggestions would be much appreciated.

I would suggest looking into a internet radio like a Squeezebox or such You will have access to literally 1000's of stations around the world and with digital streaming improving each day, the sound is not that bad and only getting better. No worry about an external antennas, static and poor reception.