Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:42 am 

I'm considering adding a tuner into the line up. I have no clue what the difference is between a good and not as good tuner.
I'm running a celeste 4002 pre and a celeste 4150se amp through energy c9 speakers
Anyway, I'm not looking to break the bank with this piece.
Any info/suggestions would be much appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:01 am 

scarbpaul12 wrote:
I'm considering adding a tuner into the line up. I have no clue what the difference is between a good and not as good tuner.
I'm running a celeste 4002 pre and a celeste 4150se amp through energy c9 speakers
Anyway, I'm not looking to break the bank with this piece.
Any info/suggestions would be much appreciated.

You can start your research here http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 am 

I love having a tuner in the line up, always have, always will. You don't have to spend much at all to get good sound. And yes, check out the tuner information centre website, lots of good stuff there. The vintage units from the 70's can be quite good. The Sansui TU-317 can be had for about $100, which sounds good. The TU-717 is very good and well recognized, but be prepared to spend $3-$400 for a nice one. I was running a newer Marantz reference tuner that retailed for about $7-800 (bought it for $225 used on CAM), and it was pretty good - but the TU-317 was better all around.

I just bought at 1977 Hitachi FT-920 for $60, and it is an excellent tuner! Better than the TU-317 by a fair margin, probably approaching TU-717 territory. Nice big sound to it, lots of depth, good low end. A sleeper of a tuner that is cheap to buy. My bother just bought one too for $75, and it replaced his TU-317 as well.

There was a Harman Kardon T-403 on CAM awhile back that I was very close to buying at $150, that had some work done to it. If it sounds anything like my Twin Power 730 receiver tuner, it will also be a great sounding tuner.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:12 pm 

the best cheap tuner....TIVOLI ! unbelivable for the price

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:24 pm 

cyrus wrote:
I love having a tuner in the line up, always have, always will. You don't have to spend much at all to get good sound. And yes, check out the tuner information centre website, lots of good stuff there. The vintage units from the 70's can be quite good. The Sansui TU-317 can be had for about $100, which sounds good. The TU-717 is very good and well recognized, but be prepared to spend $3-$400 for a nice one. I was running a newer Marantz reference tuner that retailed for about $7-800 (bought it for $225 used on CAM), and it was pretty good - but the TU-317 was better all around.

I just bought at 1977 Hitachi FT-920 for $60, and it is an excellent tuner! Better than the TU-317 by a fair margin, probably approaching TU-717 territory. Nice big sound to it, lots of depth, good low end. A sleeper of a tuner that is cheap to buy. My bother just bought one too for $75, and it replaced his TU-317 as well.

There was a Harman Kardon T-403 on CAM awhile back that I was very close to buying at $150, that had some work done to it. If it sounds anything like my Twin Power 730 receiver tuner, it will also be a great sounding tuner.

Good luck!

Another one to consider as well is the Nikko Gamma 1 tuner, which can be had for $50-75 depending on the condition is an excellent performer approaching that of my other tuner the Philips AH673.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:37 pm 

Yamaha T-1 or T-2 are great tuners. I currently have the Yamaha T-1 which replaced the Sansui TU-317 which is also a great tuner.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:39 pm 
Premium User

Tuners are great, but only when paired with a great antenna!

Enjoy the research.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:53 pm 

tube54 wrote:
You can start your research here http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/

There is some great information on that site, but most of the pricing info is out of date.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:01 pm 

A Sansui TU-717 is the best bang for the buck.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:35 pm 

A tuner requires good sources, not just for sq but also content. I long left the confines of local radio to explore the vast array of options through an Internet receiver. This has introduced me to far more music than local radio here ever could. And I can still access local radio online if I choose

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:39 pm 

Most tuners don't work very well in condos. If you live in one ask around to other tenants. I have a nice old Marantz and a Revox B 760 both are mediocre performers in my building. Other folks here tell me the same thing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:42 pm 

A few comments: given the quality of the electronics you have, you will notice the difference between tuners depending on which stations you listen to. If you listen to rock/ pop stations a high end tuner will simply tell you how bad the sound is! In contrast, if you listen to the CBC, PBS or Jazz stations the sound quality will be better. Surprisingly, college/ university radio stations can sound quite good because they don't have the money to screw things up!

What features are important to you? Do you want a remote and/or station presets? Do you want to pick up stations from far away? Do you have the ability to put up an antenna outdoors? These questions will narrow your search.

Vintage tuners can be fine, but if they show up on fmtunerinfo people usually ask a lot for them. While not much goes wrong with a tuner, age will affect some of the parts and getting it fixed may not be what you want to do. From my point of view, a used Magnum Dynalab is a good way to go. Although, they are simple in terms of features, this Canadian company provides services and a range of upgrades for all their tuners. As a plus they are located in Brampton.

Good luck in your search.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:37 pm 

Good points VG.
I have found what you say to ring true. It's the quality of the feed that counts.
The antenna can't be understated in the outlier areas. It's the difference. Not just quality of the antenna but direction and height.

The TU series of tuners are going to be quite over priced.
In a garage sale go for it though.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:03 pm 

Props to Magnum Dynalab. I have a reciever of theirs and I bought it partly for the tuner section. Listening to Radio 2 now and it is quite wonderful!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:30 pm 

Hi,

tangram wrote: 'Tuners are great, but only when paired with a great antenna!'

buddha wrote: 'The antenna can't be understated in the outlier areas.'

Multipath distortion is the bane of FM tuners. This results from broadcast signals bouncing around against concrete walls and confusing the detector circuits. Do not, under any circumstances, use a $2 folded dipole antenna, meaning that T shaped 300 ohm piece of plastic often packed with receivers and sometimes with mini-systems. If you have a house or even an apartment or condo balcony, buy the sort of small antenna that people mount on the top of RVs ($50 tops), and get it outside and up in the air. The lead going inside should be standard 75 ohm co-axial cable, the same stuff that the 'cable guy' uses. Then at the back of the tuner where you connect it up you insert a 75 to 300 ohm transformer ($2). Ta da. A fifty dollar Dynaco FM5 with a decent antenna will give you all you need.

The fallback is to buy a decent digital TV indoor antenna. They surplus them at all Princess Auto stores, for maybe $15. The same cabling is needed, and the antenna needs to be placed near a window and moved around until you get the best signal from weak and distant stations.

The up-side is that CBC sounds terrific because of the kind of low compression signal they put out and the big 'all the hits all the time' stations often sound worse than AM stations did in the 60's. Their signal processing is horrible and it is all just to get noticed. However, there are pop stations that do have good signals. We have a couple in the K/W, Cambridge, Guelph area and also coming out of London. A good antenna well mounted will double and possibly triple your station choices. Well worth the effort. No use buying a Magnum Dynalab or for that matter any other decent tuner without a top flight antenna.

Cheers,
David Neice