Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:28 pm 

ive always likes the looks of this tuner when i first started out with this hobby i had a Sony Reciever sounded pretty good at the time if you have heard the Sony 5950 Tuner is it good tuner or very good tuner?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:10 pm 

somebody hear this tuner?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:34 pm 

Hi, I could assume by the looks and the year it's the same tuner in my STR-6800SD; it's awesome and the Dolby FM works very well with the CBC station.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:54 pm 

Sony didn't make no junk. It's a very good above-average tuner but not a great tuner. And some folks consider that era to be the Golden Age of mid-fi from Japan.

http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-ST-5950SD.html

Again it's a very good tuner but not good enough for the Tuner Information Center to include it in one of their famed tuner shoot-outs.

http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/sony.html

Scroll down a little bit for the description.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:31 pm 

from the fm tuner web page

Sony ST-5950SD (1977, $470, photo) search eBay or search eBay
The ST-5950SD was at the top of Sony's overlooked (and overbuilt) line that also included the ST-2950SD, ST-3950SD and ST-4950. The "SD" denotes Dolby capability, which is irrelevant today. The top three tuners in the line all seem to have been sleepers, but the ST-5950SD had particularly excellent specs, particularly for sensitivity, quieting and stereo separation. It also has fixed and variable outputs and a front-panel headphone output jack. Our contributor Graham in the UK prefers the sound of the ST-5950SD to that of the Quad FM4, which he says has rolled-off highs. The ST-5950SD has 5 gangs for FM and 2 for AM. Our panelist Bob analyzes the schematic: "It's 5 gangs for sure. Looks like two filter blocks, likely Murata ceramic with the equivalent of two 3-pin filters per block. This filter setup was quite common in tuners of this vintage. One single IF path. Ratio type detector. Looks to have a very complete output section, but details of MPX chip or output device type are unknown." There's an excellent page on the ST-5950SD at The Vintage Knob, but note one error: it uses a 5-gang tuning capacitor, not varactor tuning as TVK states. The ST-5950SD usually sells for $110-160 on eBay, with a recent low of $60 in 9/08.