Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 2130 Scope
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:37 am 

Hey all,
I just acquired a Marantz 2130 and upon firing it up, it has a couple of burned out bulbs but all other functions work good and it pulls in FM stations with no issue. The one thing that bothers me is the scope. It works, and does every function it needs to do perfectly except when it is set to audio, it doesn't fill the screen like I've seen others do when it dances around to the signal while in the Audio setting. I also have a Model 2110 and the scope is mesmerizing when set to the Signal setting. My question is, seeing as I have to replace some bulbs, is there an adjustment internally for the scope to get it to fill the screen like I think it should, or is it doing what it's supposed to for this model ? I have a "guy", but would appreciate some input before I bring it to him.

Have a Happy New Year.....
Axle

Post subject: Re: 2130 Scope
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:39 am 

When you select audio and on for the scope if you're not tuned in to a stereo signal you'll only get that diagonal line

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:14 am 

What he said ^^^

What do you mean by Signal setting?
Do you mean the 'Tuning' button is depressed for the scope? Or do you mean the 'Audio' button is depressed?
For the scope to mesmerize in the audio mode, it is a function of the music being played, channel separation primarily. If you don't have a station tuned in you wouldn't see anything or at best static.
For the scope to dance in tuning mode means you have signal cancellation, noise and or distortion.

Do you have an external antenna attached?

Check the manual for proper operation.
http://akdatabase.com/AKview/albums/Mar ... Manual.pdf

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:43 pm 

I meant Audio button in the scope display area on the front panel, I have a external antenna and everything is tuned in and stereo light is burning and the Quartz lock is operational and I used the scope in the tuning setting to tune in a FM station and the scope display is showing both channels when in Audio mode, but it doesn't fill the display of the scope like my 2110 does. Is there an internal adjustment for the scope to correct this ? I don't mean the focus and bright adjusters on the back, because I set those up for focus and brightness as per the manual. Now, once again, because I'm gonna open it up to change some bulbs, is there a way to adjust the scope from the inside to broaden the the scope display ?

Thanks again for the input and have a Happy New Year.......
Axle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:50 pm 

I don't think there are internal adjustments but the scope will weaken after many years so possibly you are experiencing that.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:56 pm 

I was afraid of that, damn.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:29 pm 

The scope isn't all that functional anyways.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:13 pm 

....... but looks oh so coooool

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:26 pm 

Axle F wrote:
....... but looks oh so coooool

Agreed. Really cool.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:47 pm 

heres a pic I found and saved years ago for the display on a 2500

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:52 pm 
Premium User

Axle F wrote:
Hey all,
I just acquired a Marantz 2130 and upon firing it up, it has a couple of burned out bulbs but all other functions work good and it pulls in FM stations with no issue. The one thing that bothers me is the scope. It works, and does every function it needs to do perfectly except when it is set to audio, it doesn't fill the screen like I've seen others do when it dances around to the signal while in the Audio setting. I also have a Model 2110 and the scope is mesmerizing when set to the Signal setting. My question is, seeing as I have to replace some bulbs, is there an adjustment internally for the scope to get it to fill the screen like I think it should, or is it doing what it's supposed to for this model ? I have a "guy", but would appreciate some input before I bring it to him.

Have a Happy New Year.....
Axle

Hi!There are internal scope adjustments for Horizontal and vertical centering and focus/brightness controls on P900 board which is scope control board.It is also a good idea to clean scope tube glass since it attracts dirt due to high operating voltage. It is also good idea to recap it since it is an old unit and lots of caps dry up.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:09 am 

Thanks for the input, I'm gonna open it up next week sometime and have a look and see what the cap situation is, bulging/leaking and what not. I still have to change some bulbs too. Thanks again everyone.......
Axle F

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:46 pm 

Well friends, good news....
After much research and growing a pair, I opened up my 2130 tuner and inspected everything I could see cap wise and otherwise, without removing boards, and it all looks good ( no bulging or leaking ). I did notice 2 odd ball caps on the 2nd board directly under the scope and could only figure they've been replaced because they were blue and everything else was black, big and small. So, that prompted me to look for the scope adjustments on the board directly under the scope that drago400 had mentioned. Well, I found them and kept fiddling until I got the desired effect, horizontal and vertical and with some fine tuning either way, it all worked out. I wish I could get a little sharper display somehow other than the focus adjust on the back, but I'll take what I can get and I'm quite happy. Now I just need to replace those bulbs I mentioned ( 4 out of 6 are fried ) and it's ready to go in the stand.
Thanks to everyone for the advice/input and suggestions, I really appreciate it all. Now lets hope the thing doesn't explode on me.
Cheers......
Axle