Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: HD/FM
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:37 am 

That's unfortunate (about the bandwidth), as you could surf the web for stations instead of a 60 mile radius. Without high jacking the thread, I rarely use my tuner anymore, so few stations, poor programming etc. For background music, the web works for me. As a closing note, thanks for the tip on that Detroit station, I've downloaded the app and will give it a listen latter tonight.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:59 am 

joe mandel wrote:
That's unfortunate (about the bandwidth), as you could surf the web for stations instead of a 60 mile radius. Without high jacking the thread, I rarely use my tuner anymore, so few stations, poor programming etc. For background music, the web works for me. As a closing note, thanks for the tip on that Detroit station, I've downloaded the app and will give it a listen latter tonight.

Classical during the day, Jazz at night.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:46 am 

Philosophil wrote:
joe mandel wrote:
Do you own a tablet? If so all you need is a 3.5 mini plug that ends with two male rca cable, that can be picked up at the Source. Then you can listen to your fave station and many more. Apologies if you already know this or it doesn't apply to your situation.

I have an old Samsung model GT P3113 (and my wife want to buy me a new IPad for Xmas--but I'm not sure if I need or want one). Between my wife and our kids, our WiFi bandwidth is already heavily used, so I'm not sure if this is a truly feasible option for me.

I have one of those I use daily, but there are no Operating System upgrades for quite some time so may be a bit challenged for multimedia use. I just use it for surfing, emailing, and displaying manuals for stuff I'm working on.

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:52 pm 

Three Hamilton FM's are transmitting in HD. 94.7 95.3 and I believe 107.9. You do not say where you live so it's difficult to answer your question on a local level. Corus (which owns many radio stations) seems to be testing the waters with HD. It is not inexpensive for the radio station to implement and may depend on their existing transmitting / processing equipment. HD stations can also add a second and third subchannel to the main one and carry separate programming. In Hamilton AM640 from Toronto and CHML 900 from Hamilton are available on the subchannels of CKDS 95.3. The HD component of the signal is at less strength than the analogue portion and therefore carries less distance. You need a relatively strong signal to receive HD. Many modern car radios can tune the HD signals, but I am not aware of many home tuners that can. The Sony XDR-F1HD HD Radio Tuner and the Sangean HDT-1X were both home tuners but are discontinued. I have a Denon AVR-X4000 that has a HD tuner in it, but these are the exception. BTW HD tuners by their nature are excellent analogue tuners. Very sensitive and selective. The above mentioned Sony blows away any other tuner I have ever put against it in terms of sensitivity and adjacent channel rejection and I have put some formidable tuners to the test.

I think we will see a slow trend toward HD in large markets by the big broadcasters, especially as they replace aging transmitters for more energy efficient models.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:56 pm 

For those about to panic about their old tuners, remember that the digital HD signal and the analogue FM signal are broadcast together. So, if you have a kick-ass analogue FM tuner you will still be able to enjoy it for many years.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:54 am 

I am very suspicious that the sound quality of the standard fm
signal is compromised when all of the digital signals are "piggy backed" with the regular signal. Does anyone have any knowledge on this technology? BTW our 2014 Chevy Impala has some sort of digital converter on the tuner that allows you to pause live radio and it is without a doubt to poorest sounding tuner I have ever had.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:41 am 

I wish that there were fm stations out where I live because I used to listen to fm quite a bit when I was younger. Now I can only get one station (cbc) so the tuner gets very little use. I was looking at the McIntosh tuners but couldn't justify the expense. I still have a few tuners in different systems that get infrequent use.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:12 am 

My new car came with an HD radio. The only time I've heard it lock on to an HD signal was when I was VERY close to the border. It does sound good----noise free, of course. I was unaware that there were any Canadian stations, so I'll try out the Woodstock and other stations mentioned later today.

Edit: just found this website that lists all Canadian HD stations:
https://hdradio.com/canada

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:20 am 

It's actually bad news for vintage tuners that can't cope up with IBOC (aka HD radio). 3 stations in our area (Greater Vancouver) started IBOC last year. Now 96.9, 101.1 and 103.5 have constant background noise when in stereo for analog tuners that is not designed to ignore the piggybacked IBOC.

Even bad news is that most IBOC equip radios are for cars.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:47 am 

I have recently cancelled my satellite TV subscription so I am listening a lot more to my one fm station (cbc). That is where I get my news and I am enjoying the programming. I am glad I still have my Pioneer f91 elite tuner.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:08 am 

Several years ago, I bought a Cambridge Audio AM/FM/SXM tuner for my hifi. At the time, was a Cambridge amp and phono with a set of Focal speakers.

I bought the tuner chiefly to try and setup a Sirius account. I did, for several years. Until the price just was over $200 a year, and in all honesty, because I couldn't take it in my car, was too tooooo much for basically listening to Howard Stern. Eventually, in the last year or two, the antenna stopped working, and I thought it had been the tuner or the SXM add on option. I ended up getting a new antenna, that works much better than the old one, but only using it or the preview channel at the moment (though I would like to renew my sub).

I know the CA Tuner had an option with DAB available. But, apparently that is only big in Europe. I like the idea of HD FM. FM sounds fairly good as it is, when you get a decent signal.

Also, I live in Newfoundland. There are only about a dozen FM stations in the area I live (St. John's). Some are shoddy sounding at best, but I've tried a couple cheap antennas. Would like to have a mast antenna, but in reality, what good would that do here in such a small area.

If Sirius were any better quality, it'd be worth getting into. I don't know why they don't offer some sort of upgraded sound quality version that uses less channels, and higher signal rate.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:52 am 

In Victoria where the original poster is from I believe - depending on where you live there both public radio stations - KNKX and NWPR out of Port Angles for HD feeds - highly dependent on location and antenna . I played with it way back using the Sony XRD F1 and an Insignia HD tuner I had. The Sony is a cult favourite given its' incredible reception qualities but benefits from modding - the Insignia sucked . I ended up listening to the analog stream in most instances .There are also other Seattle stations that use HD but again antenna and range is the issue. On a strong signal the signal can be quieter in my experience but I have now returned to analog tuners.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:06 pm 

You want to contact Magnum Dynalab and email to the attention of "Zdenko", who is the genius there.
Kindly let us know what you found out.

I recommend you think out your questions very carefully, put them on paper, review them a few times, make sure you want answers that are not easy for you to answer yourself after searching vigorously and then, I believe and hope; Zdenko will be in a position to answer you, as he is a very busy guy designing and inventing.