Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: HD/FM
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:27 am 

I have wanted to include an fm tuner in my stereo for quite some time but have been reluctant to do so because I am unsure of the status of HD/FM radio in Canada. I continue to use my portable radio every morning with my coffee before work. Does anyone use an HD radio in Canada and are you able to receive any US stations. If so what do you think of it. Do you think it is in the near future in Canada or is it never going to happen.

Post subject: Re: HD/FM
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:47 am 

Sorry, but what exactly is HD FM?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:07 am 

If you're talking about DAB that ship has sailed.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:12 am 

Maybe the OP means analogue FM?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:12 am 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_Radio

Regards
Ohms

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:32 am 

AudiOhm wrote:

Interesting. WRCJ in Detroit installed a new antenna this summer and my reception has degraded noticably since (to the point where I don't listen much any more--just CBC now). I wonder if the analogue signal was compromised by the addition of HD or something. It's been a huge disappointment for me because I used to listen to that channel a lot. :|

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:01 am 

Thats what to expect from cross border shopping. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:29 pm 

Toad Hall wrote:
I have wanted to include an fm tuner in my stereo for quite some time but have been reluctant to do so because I am unsure of the status of HD/FM radio in Canada. I continue to use my portable radio every morning with my coffee before work. Does anyone use an HD radio in Canada and are you able to receive any US stations. If so what do you think of it. Do you think it is in the near future in Canada or is it never going to happen.

You could search for HD/FM broadcasts in your local area to see if it warrants a HD/FM tuner...

Regards
Ohms

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:02 pm 

Yes, good advice I will do that. I guess I was wondering if anyone out there had an HD/FM tuner or receiver and could comment on the sound quality difference between HD and FM if they were able to receive a U.S. signal. Also weather anybody thinks this is the direction terrestrial radio will head in Canada.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:28 pm 

HD FM tuners don't seem to be very plentiful, at least not on first blush. If you come across any interesting ones at a reasonable price l'd be interested in any updates (might be a good way to get my Detroit channel back, which i just checked to find that it is indeed listed as an HD station).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:23 pm 

Philosophil wrote:
HD FM tuners don't seem to be very plentiful, at least not on first blush. If you come across any interesting ones at a reasonable price l'd be interested in any updates (might be a good way to get my Detroit channel back, which i just checked to find that it is indeed listed as an HD station).

Chances are the Detroit channel you are looking for is on the internet, what is the particular channel you are looking for?...

Regards
Ohms

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:59 pm 

Woodstock Ontario has a new HD Radio station
104.7 Heart FM (CIHR-FM Woodstock) once you hear the difference you will appreciate the quality of sound, after all isn't that what we are after? :D
all the newest vehicles are equipped with HD Radio capability, drive near Detroit or Buffalo and experience what is all about, the first time i heard the music i thought i had a new sound system in my car, Too bad Canada lacks far behind the technology once again... i think the C.R.T.C. needs to get their act together and join the year 2015 ! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:34 am 

AudiOhm wrote:
Philosophil wrote:

Chances are the Detroit channel you are looking for is on the internet, what is the particular channel you are looking for?...

Regards
Ohms

It's WRCJ 90.9 FM. I don't think the internet will help, however, as I don't have the means to do online streaming on most of my systems.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:18 am 

Philosophil wrote:
AudiOhm wrote:
Philosophil wrote:

Regards
Ohms

It's WRCJ 90.9 FM. I don't think the internet will help, however, as I don't have the means to do online streaming on most of my systems.

Do you own a tablet? If so all you need is a 3.5 mini plug that ends with two male rca cable, that can be picked up at the Source. Then you can listen to your fave station and many more. Apologies if you already know this or it doesn't apply to your situation.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:26 am 

joe mandel wrote:
Do you own a tablet? If so all you need is a 3.5 mini plug that ends with two male rca cable, that can be picked up at the Source. Then you can listen to your fave station and many more. Apologies if you already know this or it doesn't apply to your situation.

I have an old Samsung model GT P3113 (and my wife want to buy me a new IPad for Xmas--but I'm not sure if I need or want one). Between my wife and our kids, our WiFi bandwidth is already heavily used, so I'm not sure if this is a truly feasible option for me.