Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: AM/FM Shortwave Tuner
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:10 am 

Hi, anyone have any knowledge of a modern (i.e. 1970's and later) slimline tuner that has AM/FM and shortwave on it?
Toughie I know. I would presume they'd be more of European manufacturer origin (i.e. Telefunken etc). There has to be something out there. Tnxs for your input

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:00 am 

Sony st-333l

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:14 am 

My Luxman T-210L has AM/FM and Longwave but I don't remember what range of frequencies longwave is (I'm at work). It is a good basic AM/FM tuner but I never did get anything on the longwave. I only used a small piece of wire for an antenna so that might have something to do with it. I bought it new and I am still using it 30 years later.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:25 am 
Premium User

You are correct that SW is more common on European tuners than North American or Japanese ones. In fact many Japanese tuners included LW (which operate at frequencies below our AM which is referred to as MW in the rest of the world). Your best bets would be from the likes of Grundig, Philips, Telefunken, Dual and Braun IMO.

The Braun T-301 comes to mind. The Quad AM2 and AM3 had AM and SW, but no FM and would fit your small size requirement. Sony had several models with SW, but most were full sized units.

SW was common on portable radios and consoles, but not so common on standalone tuners.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:49 am 

Thanks for the replies. There are a few out there, it's just a matter of finding one. It's also a matter of performance. A tuner might have SW but if it has lacklustre reception then there is no point in owning. This factor further limits the number of choice modern type tuners. Perhaps it's not a worthwhile effort

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:39 am 
Premium User

How Much is Shipping wrote:
Thanks for the replies. There are a few out there, it's just a matter of finding one. It's also a matter of performance. A tuner might have SW but if it has lacklustre reception then there is no point in owning. This factor further limits the number of choice modern type tuners. Perhaps it's not a worthwhile effort

With shortwave, a good outdoor antenna is critical; much more in fact than the tuner itself. Also, as shortwave is mono and not really considered as hi-fi, you might have better luck with finding an old portable from Grundig, Philips, Realistic, Normende, Sony or Telefunken that has both a headphone output and an antenna input and patching that into your existing stereo with a "Y" adaptor if this is mostly for occasional use. WAY more selection that way.

BTW, a decent shortwave antenna is basically just a good length of copper wire strung outdoors between 2 posts.