Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:45 am 

allgonoshow wrote:
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649210940-new-in-box-magnum-dynalab-ft-11/

owned - meh

sent back to magnum. came back - still meh.

may get in trouble for saying but of the handful of tuners I've owned, the Sanyo t35 is still in rotation.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:10 am 

BinkyTheCat wrote:
allgonoshow wrote:
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649210940-new-in-box-magnum-dynalab-ft-11/

owned - meh

sent back to magnum. came back - still meh.

may get in trouble for saying but of the handful of tuners I've owned, the Sanyo t35 is still in rotation.

Yeah, I have had both the FT-11 and FT-101 (with the Sleuth), and I was not that impressed. I liked that they were Canadian, but I was disappointed in both the performance and build quality. Both were purchased used so it was in inexpensive experiment, and they were easy to sell on kijiji.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:29 am 

Quadzilla wrote:
Yeah, I have had both the FT-11 and FT-101 (with the Sleuth), and I was not that impressed.
No, the FT-101a doesn't sound as good as my old Marantz either, but it works (unlike the Marantz) and has the multipath meter.

I think the difference in SQ is owing to the fact that the Marantz had discrete, single-ended output buffers, whereas the MD uses a cheap IC opamp (NE 5532...I think). I believe the tuner itself merits replacing the opamp with something better.

With the above in mind, I think any older tuner of decent quality and good alignment stands a good chance of sounding better than a new one.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:03 am 

ripblade wrote:
Quadzilla wrote:
Yeah, I have had both the FT-11 and FT-101 (with the Sleuth), and I was not that impressed.
No, the FT-101a doesn't sound as good as my old Marantz either, but it works (unlike the Marantz) and has the multipath meter.

I think the difference in SQ is owing to the fact that the Marantz had discrete, single-ended output buffers, whereas the MD uses a cheap IC opamp (NE 5532...I think). I believe the tuner itself merits replacing the opamp with something better.

With the above in mind, I think any older tuner of decent quality and good alignment stands a good chance of sounding better than a new one.

My Accuphase has a multipath meter too, but I haven't used it much. I use a Magnum Gam whip antenna, and it sits in the corner of my front hallway. I sold my FT-101 for more than the T-107T cost me, so it wasn't all bad. Maybe I was expecting too much from the MD ... and I don't really think that Sleuth thingy did much either.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:00 pm 

The Magnum Dynalab MD 100 that went through my bench is not an impressive tuner and mirrors what have been mentioned already on this thread. I'd like to add the following.

- the internal build quality is awful. It looks more like a kit of parts put together. Just Google Magnum Dynalab MD 100 tuner and look at the images of the internals. Wires are all over the place. RF section or the front end is wide open, no shielding. Newer models are not that different in terms of construction

- now about the sound, it is thin. The bass is clearly lacking. The op amp has nothing to do with this. It is just bad execution. The presence of a balanced output doesn't make the sound any better.

- fundamental design flaw on the audio section. Adding boutique capacitors and proper alignment is not going to make the sound better.

- overrated in most areas

There is a reason why you see a lot of them in the used market at a fraction of the original price.