Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:04 pm
Posts: 1761
Location: saskatoon, SK, CA
allgonoshow wrote:
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649210940-new-in-box-magnum-dynalab-ft-11/



owned - meh

sent back to magnum. came back - still meh.

may get in trouble for saying but of the handful of tuners I've owned, the Sanyo t35 is still in rotation.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:20 am
Posts: 4398
Location: London, ON, CA
BinkyTheCat wrote:
allgonoshow wrote:
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649210940-new-in-box-magnum-dynalab-ft-11/



owned - meh

sent back to magnum. came back - still meh.

may get in trouble for saying but of the handful of tuners I've owned, the Sanyo t35 is still in rotation.


Yeah, I have had both the FT-11 and FT-101 (with the Sleuth), and I was not that impressed. I liked that they were Canadian, but I was disappointed in both the performance and build quality. Both were purchased used so it was in inexpensive experiment, and they were easy to sell on kijiji.

_________________
1978 Rickenbacker 4001, 2010 Gibson Thunderbird, and Dean Fretless Basses;
1987 Guild Nightbird, 2000 Taylor 310KCE, and Godin 5th Avenue Guitars.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:17 am
Posts: 13878
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Quadzilla wrote:
Yeah, I have had both the FT-11 and FT-101 (with the Sleuth), and I was not that impressed.
No, the FT-101a doesn't sound as good as my old Marantz either, but it works (unlike the Marantz) and has the multipath meter.

I think the difference in SQ is owing to the fact that the Marantz had discrete, single-ended output buffers, whereas the MD uses a cheap IC opamp (NE 5532...I think). I believe the tuner itself merits replacing the opamp with something better.

With the above in mind, I think any older tuner of decent quality and good alignment stands a good chance of sounding better than a new one.

_________________
To a hammer, everything looks like a nail


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:20 am
Posts: 4398
Location: London, ON, CA
ripblade wrote:
Quadzilla wrote:
Yeah, I have had both the FT-11 and FT-101 (with the Sleuth), and I was not that impressed.
No, the FT-101a doesn't sound as good as my old Marantz either, but it works (unlike the Marantz) and has the multipath meter.

I think the difference in SQ is owing to the fact that the Marantz had discrete, single-ended output buffers, whereas the MD uses a cheap IC opamp (NE 5532...I think). I believe the tuner itself merits replacing the opamp with something better.

With the above in mind, I think any older tuner of decent quality and good alignment stands a good chance of sounding better than a new one.


My Accuphase has a multipath meter too, but I haven't used it much. I use a Magnum Gam whip antenna, and it sits in the corner of my front hallway. I sold my FT-101 for more than the T-107T cost me, so it wasn't all bad. Maybe I was expecting too much from the MD ... and I don't really think that Sleuth thingy did much either.

_________________
1978 Rickenbacker 4001, 2010 Gibson Thunderbird, and Dean Fretless Basses;
1987 Guild Nightbird, 2000 Taylor 310KCE, and Godin 5th Avenue Guitars.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:20 pm
Posts: 42
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC, CA
The Magnum Dynalab MD 100 that went through my bench is not an impressive tuner and mirrors what have been mentioned already on this thread. I'd like to add the following.

- the internal build quality is awful. It looks more like a kit of parts put together. Just Google Magnum Dynalab MD 100 tuner and look at the images of the internals. Wires are all over the place. RF section or the front end is wide open, no shielding. Newer models are not that different in terms of construction

- now about the sound, it is thin. The bass is clearly lacking. The op amp has nothing to do with this. It is just bad execution. The presence of a balanced output doesn't make the sound any better.

- fundamental design flaw on the audio section. Adding boutique capacitors and proper alignment is not going to make the sound better.

- overrated in most areas

There is a reason why you see a lot of them in the used market at a fraction of the original price.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group