Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: FM analogue signals
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:12 am 

Philosophil wrote:
kushogcottage wrote:
Is there any chance that in the future analogue FM signals will disappear - similar to what happened to TV signals? Any idea on the timing if it were to happen?

Geez, I hope not! That's what I listen to most of the time (CBC and Detroit Public Radio mostly). What would I do with all my tuners and receivers? :shock:

Detroit Public Radio. I used to love listening to WDET while I lived in Windsor. Now I listen to WDET using my Squeezebox, but it's not the same (especially while driving in the car!).

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:46 am 

Naimophile wrote:
Philosophil wrote:
kushogcottage wrote:
Is there any chance that in the future analogue FM signals will disappear - similar to what happened to TV signals? Any idea on the timing if it were to happen?

Geez, I hope not! That's what I listen to most of the time (CBC and Detroit Public Radio mostly). What would I do with all my tuners and receivers? :shock:

Detroit Public Radio. I used to love listening to WDET while I lived in Windsor. Now I listen to WDET using my Squeezebox, but it's not the same (especially while driving in the car!).

Try WRCJ from Detroit (90.9) I think. Classical during the day, Jazz at night after 7:00.
http://www.wrcjfm.org/

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:06 am 

Vintageman wrote:
Naimophile wrote:
Philosophil wrote:

Try WRCJ from Detroit (90.9) I think. Classical during the day, Jazz at night after 7:00.

Will do, thanks.

I have a Naim tuner that sounds great with CBC Radio 2 and Radio Canada Espace Musique. It's all personal taste and personal opinion but, other than the CBC channels, and a couple of university stations, Ottawa is pretty much a radio wasteland.

I used to love Detroit radio in the 70's and early 80's - WDET, WQRS, WRIF, WWWW, WABX, CJAM, CJOM. I grew up with Motown when I was a kid, listening to CKLW on AM. Even WWJ and WJR on AM. I haven't lived there since the 80's, so maybe Detroit radio is a poor as Ottawa now?

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:13 am 

Every tuner and radio in my house is tuned to Radio One.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:21 am 

I listen to JazzFM 91.1, and CBC radio here at the house, and when we're at the lake we have it on a little community radio station called Canoe FM - 100.9 in Haliburton. They do a great job and don't have a playlist. I recommend the station for all the great music they play - most days - but, especially like Greg Rowe on Friday nights from 6 - 9 pm (They actually take requests).

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 5:48 pm 

Vintageman wrote:

That's actually the Detroit channel I listen to most (alongside CBC 1 & 2). Wonderful music.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 7:40 pm 

kushogcottage wrote:
I listen to JazzFM 91.1, and CBC radio here at the house, and when we're at the lake we have it on a little community radio station called Canoe FM - 100.9 in Haliburton. They do a great job and don't have a playlist. I recommend the station for all the great music they play - most days - but, especially like Greg Rowe on Friday nights from 6 - 9 pm (They actually take requests).

How cool is that!

I'm a big JazzFM91 fan as well ... even went to their Jazz Lives 2015 on Thursday.

On another big most US board I visit, you get the sense that FM is virtually dead down there, even in big cities it seems, at least in many. The GTA is really a time defying FM bubble, we're the exception, not the rule.

Last edited by b3733366 on Fri May 01, 2015 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 7:51 pm 

It sounds as if a lot of you enjoy radio. When I was a kid, I had an old Northern Electric tube radio that I'd tune into London AM station CKSL for the newest Elvis or Buddy Holly release.......then as a teenager, we used listen to The Big Eight- CKLW with 50,000 watts of power out of Windsor, as we headed up to Grand Bend for a summer weekend. All the Motown stuff and of course the station's over-the-top news casts on the station's 20/20 News.

Radio was and is great because you always feel that any time, especially late at night, the announcer is talking just to you. A very intimate medium, warm, where television was always cool one.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:06 pm 

"Begin the day with a friendly voice, a companion unobtrusive......." RUSH, Spirit of Radio.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Regarding FM replacement in Canada, DAB has been tried and failed in Canada. If an alternative appears it will be IBOC which is used for HD radio. In that case, FM can still be broadcast simultaneously with digital and our old tuners will still be useful. I'm not sure wi-fi is a practical replacement for car audio. To the OP, if you like your old Mac tuner and use it, I recommend you keep it.
P.S. CBC radio 2's program Tonic with Tim Tamashiro is spectacular sounding on a good system.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 2:53 am 

lzp1 wrote:
P.S. CBC radio 2's program Tonic with Tim Tamashiro is spectacular sounding on a good system.

Tonic is definitely one of my favorite programs, as is Lauri Brown's "The Signal." I enjoy Randy Bachman's Vinyl Tap as well.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 5:13 am 

All of Radio 2 programming sounds great on a good tuner but as evening arrives and there's less electrical interference in the air, The Signal show sounds absolutely steller, IMO.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 9:46 am 

I hope the transition to digital radio goes better than the switch in video. Here in Brandon MB we lost our over the air transmission. (too expensive to convert)

At home I guess it will just mean another box in the stand. Then there's the system in the shop and the DeWalt job site unit. Oh my new truck where everything is integrated with the touch screen, computer, steering wheel and Bluetooth. May have to renew my Sat radio subscription that came with the truck.

I think this will force me to learn how to use my cell phones other features. Sort of envious that my four year old grandson can be kept busy for hours with "Mom's" IPhone!

Cheers
Derek

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 10:26 am 

kushogcottage wrote:
Thanks for all the replies.... sitting here wondering if I should sell my McIntosh MR78 tuner before the bottom drops out of the market with an announcement from the beloved CRTC!

I think the bottom just dropped! But since I'm such a nice guy, I'll take that old tuner off your hands! :mrgreen:

On a totally unrelated note, I had a cottage on Kushog for 16 years...sold it in 2011 to start doing some travelling!

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 11:59 am 

I only get one FM station out here in the boonies - CBC 2. I am about 200 km north of Winnipeg so even with an external antenna I am unlikely to clearly pick up an more stations. There is a CBC transmitter about 5 km from my house so I can receive that one without even using an antenna on the tuner.

On the shortwave side I picked up an external speaker/signal meter unit for my Lowe HF-150 to complete the package (AP-150, PR-150,HF-150). This was more of a collecting purchase than a practical one as even with a 50' external wire hanging from the trees along side my house, there still isn't a lot worth listening to on shortwave.

Attachment:
Lowe suit1.jpg
Lowe suit1.jpg [ 275.16 KiB | Viewed 570 times ]

Attachment:
lowe suite2.jpg
lowe suite2.jpg [ 122.82 KiB | Viewed 570 times ]

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 12:46 pm 

To answer the original post: Canada and the US have tried to switch to digital broadcast on FM. Here in Canada we adopted the European system some years ago and it died a quiet, unnoticed death. A couple of rock station went for it, but quickly gave it up. There are a number of threads on DAB radio here on Canuck and on digitalhome.ca. The US, they went for "HD" Radio, which is Hybrid Digital that has also really gone no where. You are hard pressed to find a tuner that works with HD. Some new car radios have that ability, but most people don't even know it is there.

Over the air (OTA) TV is a niche market. Only about 5% of people in Canada or the US use OTA. I do, but I still have vinyl records and cassettes :wink:

So, if you enjoy listening to FM, keep your tuners. It is unlikely that any thing will change in the next 20 years, in my opinion.