Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: FM analogue signals
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 5:28 am 

Is there any chance that in the future analogue FM signals will disappear - similar to what happened to TV signals? Any idea on the timing if it were to happen?

Post subject: Re: FM analogue signals
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 6:05 am 

kushogcottage wrote:
Is there any chance that in the future analogue FM signals will disappear - similar to what happened to TV signals? Any idea on the timing if it were to happen?

Geez, I hope not! That's what I listen to most of the time (CBC and Detroit Public Radio mostly). What would I do with all my tuners and receivers? :shock:

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 6:57 am 

Well it depends on the station/network as well... here are my thoughts:

CBC is mandated to provide radio coverage for most of Canada, so it's highly unlikely their FM feeds would be going away in the next ten years. That is barring that we don't allow our government to continue dissolving their funding as well...

As for private stations, as long as it's profitable, they'll continue to broadcast. I have a feeling that this is where most of the changes will occur, since services like TIDAL seem to be becoming more popular, and data is becoming more accessible on cell phones.

I personally listen almost exclusively to CBC Radio 1 throughout the day, or stream music from my phone if I'm at work and in the vehicle. I also tune into CBC Radio 2 for certain programs, whenever I'm in the vehicle while they're on. I like both stations because they're informative and have very few ads (none on Radio 1, but Radio 2 was forced to start selling a maximum of 4 minutes per hour...)

Personally, I can barely stand private FM stations. The playlist is basically set in stone, morphing slowly throughout the week... the announcers can be ok, but most are barely tolerable. The ads are what really kill it for me though- just too repetitive. I think that this is why people have switched to services like TIDAL. More choices for music, and less annoyance.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 6:57 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

I would say we are safe. The CBC has a mandate to service the whole country in two languages. To change to another format would require enormous capital expenditure for transmission hardware upgrades. The CBC has no money. I would say the biggest threat to loosing it would be the Harper government which clearly has it earmarked for elimination. Probably good to go in your lifetime if you are over 40.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 7:07 am 

(Side note to discussion - TV signals Over The Air (OTA) did NOT disappear.

They just don't exist for the newer specialty channels, like Food, TSN, Sportsnet etc.....

If you're in the GTA you're in luck - I get about 25 free OTA channels with my antenna in the attic - CityTV, Fox, CBC, NBC, CBS, Global etc.... If interested, go here http://tvfool.com/)

W4S DAC-1/Benchmark DAC-1, Shanling CD-S100/Sony BDP-S3100

Cain & Cain Abbys, Musical Paradise MP-301 v3, Acurus DIA-150, Vandersteen 2 CE Sigs.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 7:20 am 

I think it is and I got rid of my tuner a while back when I realized that the FM band had less and less to offer and was beginning to look like AM radio with a cleaner sound. As an example, the only declared jazz station, here in Montreal, at one point became a strictly talk-show station. :(

Back in the eighties, I used to listen to Jazz soliloque with Gilles Archambault on the french side of CBC every evening. He sure helped in educating me jazz music, as I consider him a living jazz encyclopedia. Anyway, the show stopped airing in the early nineties and he moved on to another station to keep his passion alive and educate newcomers. I happened to meet him a few weeks ago and he, himself, couldn't believe the state of which the french side of CBC is in now.

The only radio stations I listen to now are either over the net, or sometimes in my car. All in all, the FM band as we know it may not disappear as such, as the investment to switch it to digital broadcasting may be substantial, but the remaining OTA broadcasting may become creepier with time, as audience keeps shrinking.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 7:38 am 

The move to digital TV broadcasts was mandated by the CRTC and the stations were given a couple of years to prepare. Even then, the switch took place a couple of years after the Americans did theirs. If history repeats, we'll have several years notice after our neighbours to the south start talking about it.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 7:39 am 

I think that OTA isn't going away completely. With the advent of Satellite radio, I'm sure less and less channels are becoming available. Growing up in rural Newfoundland, there has never been a large number of stations. Luckily, CBC Radio and the island's only province wide channel were channels I could receive. In the metro area, there is a few more channels, but there aren't a lot. I can't imagine them disappearing completely. OTA is easily accessible and is free. Every car has an AM/FM radio, so at least there'll always be use while people are in their vehicles.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 7:46 am 

I too am a big fan of both CBC 1 and 2, however, under consideration is a move to stop broadcasting Radio 2 and leave it solely as an on-line service. I have written both the CBC and the pro-CBC organization Friends of the CBC to find out if it's going to happen and when. Neither has gotten back to me with an answer. I now listen to CBC Radio 2 on-line and the quality through my DAC is excellent.

I had a great tuner but this little S___T country and western station in Hamilton started up and it bleeds into Radio 2's Toronto signal here in Oakville causing annoying background noise, so I had to sell the tuner.

And oh yes, if you want to keep the CBC from bleeding any more, I suggest you choose anyone but Harper in the upcoming election- for this reason and a lot of other ones.

Last edited by ugly-dougly on Fri May 01, 2015 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 8:15 am 

Thanks for all the replies.... sitting here wondering if I should sell my McIntosh MR78 tuner before the bottom drops out of the market with an announcement from the beloved CRTC!

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 8:48 am 

kushogcottage wrote:
Thanks for all the replies.... sitting here wondering if I should sell my McIntosh MR78 tuner before the bottom drops out of the market with an announcement from the beloved CRTC!

Based on the comments so far, I guess that depends on how old you are, how much you like listening to FM, and whether you are tempted by any of the other radio modes. :D

Personally, I won't be selling my tuners anytime soon (Tandberg 3011A and Luxman T-117 are my favorites). I like the FM channels we have available here (the Detroit Public Radio station is especially good for classical and jazz), and would rather listen to FM for free and take a loss on my tuners years down the road rather than paying to listen to radio for who knows how many years before my FM channels actually disappear.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:14 am 

ugly-dougly wrote:
I too am a big fan of both CBC 1 and 2, however, under consideration is a move to stop broadcasting Radio 2 and leave it solely as an on-line service.

Oh please say it aint so :shock: . R2 has been and continues to represent 90 percent of my FM listening.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:16 am 

Well, Norway has taken the bull by the horns and has signalled (pun intended) that they will be shutting down analogue FM transmissions on January 11, 2017. :shock:
Other countries have talked about it, and replacing it with DAB instead, but here in North America - Canada in specific, I think their is less motive to kill off ye olde FM band.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/19/8453165/norway-end-fm-radio-2017

Personally, I would miss it, I still love my MD 102T tuner on my main rig, and my rebuilt Luxman T-12 on my secondary rig. Although I am the first to admit that the quality of signals have certainly changed over the years with various compression schemes being used to tailor it more for an in car experience versus a sit at home and enjoy the radio situation. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:50 am 

Here is a Toronto Star article on cutting Radio 2. CBC says it is "inevitable" but says it will be done "years from now" (no firm date given):

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/20 ... _away.html

If and when that happens, people who use their expensive tuners to listen soley to Radio 2, will find themselves with boat anchors.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:54 am 

ugly-dougly wrote:
And oh yes, if you want to keep the CBC from bleeding any more, I suggest you choose anyone but Harper in the upcoming election- for this reason and a lot of others.

Good advice for many reasons.