Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Sansui TU-9900
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:01 am 

Hello All-

Just looking for opinions here. I have a Sansui TU-9900 that I'm thinking of selling. It's a bit old & in need of adjustment, but very much a working unit. I have been thinking about putting the mods in place as described at http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/DIY.html. I'm also an advanced Radio Amateur, so no problems doing this, BUT- Would buyers prefer something completely original or brought up to date? Not sure what way to go to optimize the money I get out of it.

Cheers-

Kent

Post subject: Re: Sansui TU-9900
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:15 am 

The issue of modifications always creates debate. A lot of people would prefer it in original condition, but I would appreciate a unit that was recapped and upgraded. Having said that though, I would prefer a unit that has been serviced by a known technician. There have been horror stories.

I am not saying that you don't have the skills, I am saying that people don't know you have the skills. If you do take the project on, you should document your work with plenty of quality photos. Your tuner is a classic, and it deserves to be brought back to the performance that it is capable of. Good luck!

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:16 am 

if the updates change the sound then i would say its a problem, simply replacing out of spec items is fine.

most of us that purchase old stuff is for the sound characteristics of the items.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:23 am 

Thanks Quadzilla- This is what I was afraid of... I do repair work on higher end DSP's (Shhhhh - I LOVE the analog..<g>) professionally as well, but as you mentioned I'd be one of the 'unknown' techs..:) Believe me, I know what you mean about horror stories. I've rebuilt enough old tube gear to see what a mess some can make of a 'rebuild'.

Photo's are a good idea. Agreed it's a classic & I do want to hear it at its best, but understand some might find that it was worked on disconcerting. I looked it up on e-pay and was amazed at the prices they're going for. I was just going to do it up & sell afterwards, but that kind of threw me a loop.. A good one, but still...

Sandstorm: Even if it's a known improvement of the sound?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:23 pm 

Hi Kent: Some guys are wacky and want old equipment to sound the way it did back in the day, because they think it is "better". I don't believe that, but some do.

As an example, I was trying to sell an old amp. Several people have asked if I replace defective power switch with "factory originals" :? Anyone who works on electronics knows that very few companies make their own parts. Instead they buy them "off the shelf". This means that components will vary if the equipment has a run of any length.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:54 pm 

The thing is, do you want it to sound like it did when it was new or how it sounds now. Two very different things. After 40 years components wear out some gradually some suddenly, each item, capacitors especially have an impact on the sound. People tend to call this a warm sound when in fact its just degraded sound.

I have a ba/ca 2000+ tu 9900 which I've completely recapped, the difference is noticeable. Before it just sounded tired, now it sounds clean with absolutely no noise or hum.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:02 pm 

Quote:
I have a ba/ca 2000+ tu 9900 which I've completely recapped, the difference is noticeable. Before it just sounded tired, now it sounds clean with absolutely no noise or hum.

That was my experience as well. The quality of individual electronic components has improved in the past 30+ years. I would rather have modern Solen caps installed, instead of no name caps from the 1970s!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:03 pm 

Hi Kent,

My opinion is that you should do the FMtunerInfo mods. In fact, I'm interested in purchasing a Sansui Tu-9900 as such.

Please let me know your thoughts vis-a-vis a PM.

Thanks in advance.

Paul :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:55 pm 

Hi Kent ,I think you should keep it ,
I have a modified TU 9900 that was carfully modified including dual power supplies , it's great , I love the looks and the performance ,do the mods as out lined ,I think you'll agree .

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:32 am 

People who advised to keep it the same didn't even bother to read up the mod for this particular TU 9900 model. Without the mod, it is just another better tuner, nothing special; with the mod, it becomes one of the best ever built on Earth and that is what none-tech buyers like me will be looking for and pay big bucks for it.

So yeah, go ahead and mod it, and then use it. The thing looks beautiful and after modding will sound beautiful too. At anytime, you can sell for good money, it may need some time to find the right buyer though.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:50 am 

For anyone interested here are a few photos of my modified TU 9900 ,

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 355.84 KiB | Viewed 3000 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 352.18 KiB | Viewed 3000 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 247.06 KiB | Viewed 3000 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 338.61 KiB | Viewed 3000 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:06 pm 

IMHO, the best bang for the buck between you and the buyer would be to bring it up to specs.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:18 pm 

kent wrote:
Hello All-

Just looking for opinions here. I have a Sansui TU-9900 that I'm thinking of selling. It's a bit old & in need of adjustment, but very much a working unit. I have been thinking about putting the mods in place as described at http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/DIY.html. I'm also an advanced Radio Amateur, so no problems doing this, BUT- Would buyers prefer something completely original or brought up to date? Not sure what way to go to optimize the money I get out of it.

Cheers-

Kent

I believe that if you want to sell it, while optimizing your money, is to sell it as is. Otherwise, if you're going to refurbish it, then you might as well keep it and enjoy it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:44 pm 

Had one, good tuner.

As a previous collect of Sansui, its worth more original - serviced.

Modded? Keep it if thats your route...you'll never get it back.

The 9900 is a bit dear in resale, personally - a used Magnum Dyna will outperform it - so, for real fm lovers, you need to keep in the ballpark. For Sansui collectors, well - its priceless.