Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Tuner vs cd s/q
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:18 am 

Silverspur wrote:
I use my MacBook Pro (via a MyDac) for Internet radio a lot and enjoy the varieties; but comparing its sound quality to that of the cds ripped into Apple Lossless, I've found that there's minimal difference when playing at lower volume like background music, but when volume is turned into higher level, the difference is very significant as the Internet starts to sound harsh and unnatural.

The question I have is, would a good quality tuner offer better s q than the Internet radio and how much would such a tuner cost ?

This would be dependant upon the bitrate the Internet radio station is streaming (some of the better ones stream at 320Kbps), and whether the radio station is broadcasting a high quality uncompressed signal. It's hard to generalize, but I prefer listening to CBC Radio 2 or Musique Espace over my Naim or Luxman tuners over any of the online radio stations (including Linn Radio and Radio Paradise - a couple of my favourites).

As for cost, my Naim Nat 5 was expensive, but my Luxman T-400 cost me $60.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:23 am 

I'm sure everyone knows this site, but just in case...

Likely the best FM tuner site in the web,

http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/

and their ever helpful tuner shootout,

http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/shootouts.html (go to the bottom of the page to see the shootout result.)

I have had both the MD FT11 and 101A in the past, they were not to my liking BUT neither tuner had been recently aligned and serviced. There are many very good tuners (see the shootout list) that can be had for relatively little cash.

Simon

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 12:36 pm 

Hi Simon: Tuners on the "LIST" tend to be over-priced for their age & condition, in my experience. That may have changed more recently, but I feel like once somebody sees their old tuner on the list, the price doubles.

The stock FT11 or FT101 both sound like tuners from the 1980s, which is when they were built. After upgrades, they sound much better.

There are also Cyrus & Roksan tuners for sale, which are bargains for their asking prices currently on Canuck. They would be in the same range as an up to date Dynalab. Not affiliated, just saying.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:05 pm 

I've had a fair selection of tuners pass through my system over the years, MD FT11, MD FT101A, Naim NAT03, Naim NAT101( first from a SNAPS, then HICAP power supply), UHER EG-750, UHER EG-751, Sherwood S3000, Meridian 504, Accuphase T109, Burmester 993 (aligned), and now Burmester 915(restored and aligned). The 915, I believe, is an earlier version of the Burmester 978 and is in a class by itself. None of the others are even close. However, of the group, the best deal has got to be the UHER 750 which is sometimes available on ebay.de for about US$100. As it is not on the fmtunerinfo list the price is low : ). It's 220v, but is only <20w and a simple transformer works wonders. It's also 50Hz, but this is irrelevent in this analogue tuner.

I have used a 4 and a 9 element Yagi antenna at times, but the ST2 used directionally on it's side works very well and is asthetically low key ( read as "higher WAF").

Simon

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 3:05 pm 

Interestingly enough, just 5 days ago I posted a thread titled "Vintage equipment and CBC Radio 2, fabulous!"

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/vi ... 38#p596838

I hadn't seen this thread until today. I know very little about the technical aspects of radio, except I was so impressed with the sound quality of CBC Radio 2 and a 40 year old tuner I had to create a thread to celebrate it. I've got an Arcam T61 tuner in my main system that cost 5 times what I paid for the Akai AT-2250 that I use in my office system. The Akai sounds better. I'm no atavist, but clearly newer isn't always better.

Vive la Uncompressed FM!

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:06 pm 

I think it would depend on the reliability and quality of the station programming. For example, CBC radio sounds quite nice all around. Sounds analogue. Switch to FM pop, and I find it sounds unbelievably boomy and emphasis is placed on the bass region. I assume this is due to the large number of people listening to FM in their vehicles with terrible speakers.

I've only ever had low end ? tuners. Cambridge Audio 550T and Toshiba / Aurex tuner from the 70s and a mid 90s Fisher receiver using only your run of the mill dipole antenna, or a 75ohm coax connection to cable wire. The Toshiba works quite well at drawing in signals.

I've been wanting a Magnum Dynalab antenna for some time, but have yet to pull the trigger on one as the stations in Newfoundland are likely not the best quality around.

I've got to say CD or LP sound superior. Don't LPs have a limited top end as well when it comes to the phono stage? I feel that 15khz is probably above the threshold of human hearing anyway for most people at least...

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:27 pm 

Marantz 112 and Marantz 125 with local FM stations sound better than many CD players.
Just saying... it all depends on particular design.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:48 am 

I have a Sansui tuner (TU-9900) w/ a MD ST-2 antenna in my main system and it definitely sounds great, esp. with CBC live broadcasts, regardless of the tech. spec. w/ a good signal. This thing just pulls in stations, strong and weak, like nothing else and has good channel separation. It probably need some refreshment and alignment, though.

However, it doesn't measure up with my CD/SACD player but this is highly YMMV.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:50 am 

therealco wrote:
I think it would depend on the reliability and quality of the station programming. For example, CBC radio sounds quite nice all around. Sounds analogue. Switch to FM pop, and I find it sounds unbelievably boomy and emphasis is placed on the bass region. I assume this is due to the large number of people listening to FM in their vehicles with terrible speakers.

I've only ever had low end ? tuners. Cambridge Audio 550T and Toshiba / Aurex tuner from the 70s and a mid 90s Fisher receiver using only your run of the mill dipole antenna, or a 75ohm coax connection to cable wire. The Toshiba works quite well at drawing in signals.

I've been wanting a Magnum Dynalab antenna for some time, but have yet to pull the trigger on one as the stations in Newfoundland are likely not the best quality around.

I've got to say CD or LP sound superior. Don't LPs have a limited top end as well when it comes to the phono stage? I feel that 15khz is probably above the threshold of human hearing anyway for most people at least...

You have it backwards, CDs have limited top end not Lps.