Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Tuner vs cd s/q
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:35 pm 

I am not surprised by what you say Audiodoctor007. I recall "live" broadcasts going back 20 years + and they were very good indeed. Unfortunately, it seems to me that most people listen to the radio in the car and nowhere else. Yes, there are still people who listen, but they are the minority.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:26 am 

Very interesting thread with innumerable facts, specifications, etc.

I listen to Jazz FM 91.1 exclusively on a Sansui TU-717/Robertson Audio Sixty Ten amp/Robertson Audio 20/20 preamp/Ditton 66s. From this station, I decide which recordings to purchase on vinyl LPs or on the odd occasion, the CD format of the recording.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:02 am 

The low frequency limit of 10 Hz is surprising, even at 30 as I thought it was 50Hz. Even then it must have a pretty steep cutoff slope to avoid distortion. The LF limitation is necessary as sufficient output at low frequencies will modulate the carrier frequency enough that the tuner won't be able to lock onto it. I know this from experience feeding a phase-locked transmitter a signal from a turntable with a first order high pass filter at 50hz. The low frequencies caused the reception to distort when the deep bass was prominent.

BTW, FM can sound wonderful even with a digital source if it is not volume compressed. Under these conditions the quality of the tuner's output section becomes the determining factor for sound quality. The older tuners with discrete output stages sound the best, imo.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:29 am 

I listen to Jazz FM with a Kenwood KT-5020. I'm very impressed with the sound quality. The bass is real and present, sound stage wide and defined. I have a Sony NS9100ES CD/SACD player. A well recorder CD will sound better, no contest to a SACD, however add the excellent playlists and quality programming and I find myself listening to radio a lot more the disks.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:35 am 

The big advantage of tuners is that a radio station has a MUCH bigger music library than the typical individual. They also play it! Thus, you are exposed to a wide range of music that you would not have heard otherwise.

I use a Magnum Dynalab FT101, that has been upgraded by the factory. It is quite good and while the newer models do sound better, I am not going to sell it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:24 pm 

Vinyl Guy wrote:
The big advantage of tuners is that a radio station has a MUCH bigger music library than the typical individual. They also play it! Thus, you are exposed to a wide range of music that you would not have heard otherwise.

Thats one reason I like it, and they spin music that you forgot even existed. My denon 1500RD doesnt have me running for another source yet.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:41 pm 

meraklya wrote:
Another proof that measurements are mere design tools and don't tell you diddly squat about the perceived SQ of a component / format / medium or what have you.

^^^wut he said!!

lolz

Obe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:04 am 

allgonoshow wrote:
AudiOhm wrote:
If FM broadcasts were even close to CD quality, FM would not be free...

Regards
Ohms

that's kind of true, it's free to the user but sponsored by ads

I listen to Jazz FM 91.1 exclusively now. Since Jazz FM is not funded by the Government, they are limited to 4 minutes of ads per hour! Being a charity, any donation to that station is also tax deductible. I am a donor and have been for the past 7 years.

The one programme that I really enjoy is broadcast on Saturday evenings from 2000 to 2400 hours by Danny Marks. He plays only Classic Blues and accepts requests that he plays on the following Saturday night.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:12 am 

Quote:
Another proof that measurements are mere design tools and don't tell you diddly squat about the perceived SQ of a component / format / medium or what have you.

I take it to mean that your ears don't tell you diddly squat about the real SQ of............. , and why would a measurement apply to a perception of SQ. Measurement is a matter of reality, and your ears, (actually brain), illusion.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:23 am 

Free music always sounds good.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:03 am 

My primary listening source is a restored/aligned Burmester 915 tuner playing CBC Radio 2 or Espace Musique via a Shindo SET stereo. I use a Magnum Dynalab ST-2 antenna set horizontal to be directional in the direction of the CBC broadcast tower which is visible in the distance on Seymour Mountain. I am aware of the limitations of FM broadcast, despite this, the sound is always simply amazing. If there is a distortion occuring as a consequence of the FM broadcast mechanism, some how it is perceived as benefitial. I have never found the same music (same CD source even) playing on the adjacent Burmester CD/DAC to be better and is often not the equivalent of the broadcast version.

As mentioned above, FM exposes you to a vast collection of music. We also live in an age where I can hear a piece, like it, look it up on the CBC playist and buy it/down load it before the song finishes on the radio. What a great time we live in. The bulk of my recored music or artists are "found" on the radio.

So one vote for FM over CD

SA

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:16 am 

On a technical basis, the cd may have better numbers but in my experience the tuner can sound incredible. I'm using a MD triode tuner and when I listen to CBC radio 2 with a live recording, the sound is magical. I think it has more to do with getting a live feed than the actual sound quality. That being said some of the live feeds have been pretty bad. If the engineers have done their job, you can listen to music you'd probably never get a chance to hear in recorded format. +1 for the tuner!

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:51 am 

I have recently read a bunch of threads about people who have dumped their tuners. The reasons appear to include: Nothing good on the radio, the internet provides way more without ads, "I can't tell the difference between a tuner & net radio, etc.

When I look at what "tuner haters" tend to listen to and with what equipment, I guess the following: they are looking for rock/ folk/ (insert specific type here) music they like, but is not played on main stream stations. They also seem to have equipment that is geared towards making their favorite type of music sound good. On the other hand, people who "love" their tuners seem to enjoy various types of music or have found a mainstream station that suits their tastes/ style.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:59 am 

I use my MacBook Pro (via a MyDac) for Internet radio a lot and enjoy the varieties; but comparing its sound quality to that of the cds ripped into Apple Lossless, I've found that there's minimal difference when playing at lower volume like background music, but when volume is turned into higher level, the difference is very significant as the Internet starts to sound harsh and unnatural.

The question I have is, would a good quality tuner offer better s q than the Internet radio and how much would such a tuner cost ?

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:15 am 

Quote:
The question I have is, would a good quality tuner offer better s q than the Internet radio

Yes. Especially if you have a decent antenna & listen to jazz or classical. Most rock stations are very compressed and there is little difference.

Quote:
how much would such a tuner cost ?

You can pick up a used Magnum Dynalab FT11 for under $300 & made in Canada. Take it to the factory & they will upgrade it for you. Otherwise, there are many used tuners on the market with a bit of research you can find something quite good.