Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Linn tuners
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:14 pm 

I'm considering adding a tuner to my vintage Linn component system in the bedroom. I realize that the Kremlin model is considered to be the penultimate of the older Linn tuners but they rarely come up for sale and when they do they are priced accordingly, which is more than I want to pay for a tuner.

So that leaves me to choose between the Kudos and the Pekin. Just wondering if anyone has had experience with both of these models. Iirc the Kudos had a higher MSRP when new but the Pekin seems to have a higher resale value when I look at current prices on ebay.

Any info or sharing your experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Linn tuners
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:31 pm 

Steve you have expensive taste! That Kremlin remains the best tuner I have ever heard. I was big Magnum Dynalab fan but the Linn was just so engaging and clean sounding.

I have not seen a Linn tuner come up here for ages. I had a Rega Radio for a bit and now run a NAD which is actually not bad (not even close to a Linn though). I have seen Roksan Caspian tuners come up from time to time and they are a good alternative for a fairly modern premium tuner.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:17 am 

Hiya Babi! How you doin'?

Well I've never heard a Kremlin or any other Linn tuner for that matter but from what I've read the Kremlin is the one to have if you can afford the price of admission. But I can't so it's the Pekin or the Kudos. I was hoping to hear from some CAMmers' that have owned both so I'll know if there are any discernible differences in sq between the two. I'm sure that either model would satisfy my needs but I want someone else to make the informed decision for me! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:56 am 

Only had the Kudos for a bit so can't really make comparisons...thought it was just ok. Not bad but not great.

I've also owned the Rega Radio 3, a Marantz ST-17, an inexpensive Cambridge model, and the Creek Destiny. The latter was the best of that bunch (Cambridge by far the worst). Then I picked up an Arcam T31. It's easily the best tuner of the lot. Pulls in more stations, less noise, and just sounds nicer. So I'd say: Arcam > Creek = Marantz > Linn > Rega > Cambridge. I'm sure the Kremlin or a Magnum Dynalab or vintage Marantz will beat the T31, but for my purposes (casual listener) it's excellent and all that I'll ever need. You probably don't want to hear about a bunch of other brands but maybe that provides some context as to how the Kudos sounds. Not bad but I felt it came up a bit short.