Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:51 pm 

Toby wrote:
Um, CBC ?

Che Cavolo wrote:
when that insane 14 year old who got booted out of school for stabbing the teacher with a sharpened hairbrush, murders two nurses escaping from the psyche ward, breaks into your house to steal your stereo and sets the place on fire, who you gonna call?

Snap! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:07 pm 

Che Cavolo wrote:
What I don't understand is why posters feel they can or should make radical indefensible statements, and when challenged, instead of mounting a reasonable defense, they call for moderation?

Since it was I who suggested that the moderators step in, what 'radical, indefensible' statements did you think I made?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:36 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

Audio_Guy wrote:
ripblade wrote:
Che Cavolo wrote:
It's not free however and it is probably not ever going to be free, or universally available, because too many make too much wealth off it. It's a cash cow for wire providers. CBC broadcasts from remote places all over the country and is accessible over the air to a huge majority of the population. Radio Tuners made 50 years ago are still picking up and replaying radio broadcasts.
I'm not a Luddite, but I don't stream when I have a perfectly good FM radio at my disposal, especially if it's playing 'my song'.

Streams are for when there's nothing better on.

If you could hear my system you would change your mind.

The only place I've been able to find the selection I want, in the past 17-20 years of looking, is via a music stream.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:54 pm 

NordicNorm wrote:
Che Cavolo wrote:
What I don't understand is why posters feel they can or should make radical indefensible statements, and when challenged, instead of mounting a reasonable defense, they call for moderation?

Since it was I who suggested that the moderators step in, what 'radical, indefensible' statements did you think I made?

Actually, to be 100% fair to you, I was directing that comment at the chorus that followed you. And, er, I've seen it here before lately....

To be 100% fair to me, especially considering your first post indicated you were clearly in the pro-CBC camp, I can't for the life of me, understand why you called for moderation. Perhaps you could explain why? I am actually 110% behind your post at 15:41......

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:29 am 

natalie wrote:
In Toronto we still have 91.1 Jazz FM.
Not many stations play Halie Loren.

Smooth Jazz The Wave 94.7 was OK.
It did not last.

too many fund drives with Jazz FM

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:26 am 

Che Cavolo wrote:
To be 100% fair to me, especially considering your first post indicated you were clearly in the pro-CBC camp, I can't for the life of me, understand why you called for moderation. Perhaps you could explain why? I am actually 110% behind your post at 15:41......

The conversation was deviating away from how the music programming on the CBC was changing to attacks on political beliefs (as well as posters stating misinformed opinion as 'fact').

At this point, the less said (written), the better.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:50 pm 

mtseymour wrote:
Uunderhill wrote:
joe mandel wrote:
Today unfortunately, many senior staff at the CBC clearly don't understand the intended purpose of the CBC
and the CBC is now blatantly being used for political purposes.
This is having a fragmenting effect - rather than unifying Canadian culture.

The CBC needs to get back to its original purpose of representing the cultural interests of Canadians.

Can you provide examples of blatant political purposes?

Certain media (eg. G&M, National Post, Sun) have an editorial slant, but I would not characterize them as being blatantly political. We need more quality media, not newspaper and TV cutbacks. There are so many good programs that are only available on CBC (eg. Vinyl Tap, This is My Music. Quirks & Quarks, The House, Q).

I think its really important a serious discussion about the Canadian media and the CBC
is debated on CAM.
Any comments I make are intended to be factual.

Think its important to understand that most Canadian print media organizations lose money.
- ie Quebecor or Post Media Network. You can see their stocks loose money on the TSX.
https://www.google.ca/finance?q=TSE%3AP ... jAHhl4nQDw
So the major purpose of operating them is to influence public opinion.

The best way to understand them is look at who are the major owners or share holders.

The National Post is controlled by Paul V. Godfrey.
Andrew Coyne works for the Post Media Network and for someone with a Masters in Economics
some of Coyne's comments are highly questionable.
Godfrey used to be in charge of the OLG (Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation) until he was fired by Katheen Wynne.
https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark ... _says.html
Since Godfrey was let go by Wynne, the Post Media Network bought SUN news media from Quebecor.
Think you can well imagine what the Post Media Network's and SUN media 's position is on Kathleen Wynne.
This is miles above a slant.

Concerning SUN News and Ezra Levant - don't think anyone can argue that Levant's
comments aren't politically motivated.

The interesting one Shaw media, which used to own Global TV.
One of the Shaw son's used to have meetings with Steven Harper.
If anyone says this was not for political purposes check and see if their nose
grows each time they speak.

When Globe and Mail hosted the economic debate during the OCT 2015 Federal Election,
the host, David Walmsley, barely mentioned the TPP and CETA.
Read through the transcript and you'll see that the largest trade deal in human history - the TPP
and a trade deal more comprehensive than NAFTA - which is CETA, were barely mentioned.
Some one please explain how the host, David Walmsley, conducted a leaders debate concerning economics
and barely mentioned 2 of the largest trade deals in Canadian history ???
Influencing the outcome of a federal election is far more than a political slant.

http://www.macleans.ca/politics/ottawa/ ... e-economy/

As for the CBC ... there are so many problems, its difficult to know where to start.
But the major problem with the CBC is that it should be objective
and not be used influence political opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:44 pm 

Luckily out here in Alberta we have CKUA, a publicly funded broadcaster.. You can listen online or on some of the cable systems.

www.ckua.com Some good Jazz programs, Folk and Classical shows too. The daily mix is a bit more ecclectic..

Heading overseas and have my CKUA app loaded so I can catch my favourite shows. Still agree it's a shame about the CBC.. to get back on topic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:16 pm 

Just got a sansui T80.