Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:29 am 

Thanks to everyone for this! I have been living under the constant threat of being zapped when touching an interconnect and my cable box. I can't figure out where it's coming from, but I will check the box, and install a GFI

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:13 pm 

Another way to skin it and help avoid ground loop is install an appropriate 15 or 20 amp double pole breaker and the corresponding 14/3 or 12/3 wire to the specific receptacle.

Remember to break off the brass link tab on the hot brass receptacle side.

This gives 15 or 20 amps per each plug on a duplex receptacle!

Also as its a common ground, way less chance of ground loops if any.

edit: Known as a "split circuit"
The good Hubbells and Levitons receptacles have wiring config shown on the outside of box or product literature
Remember to install the breaker properly to across each leg of power bars in panel.
You may/may not need breaker filler strip for panel cover.
Depends on your panels orientation and what you have there now

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:03 pm 

CEC 26-700 (8) Not withstanding Subrule (7) at existing outlets where a grounding means does not exist in the receptacle enclosure, grounding-type receptacles without a bonding conductor shall be permitted to be installed, provided that each receptacle is:

a:) protected by a ground fault circuit interrupter of the class A type that is an integral part of this receptacle;
b:) supplied from a receptacle containing a ground fault circuit interrupter of the class A type; or
c:) supplied from a circuit protected by a ground fault circuit interrupter of the class A type

so basically, if your place is wired as you describe, Canadian Electrical Code dictates a GFI outlet be installed if you are going to install a 3 prong 5-15R outlet in place of the existing 2 prong.

A seperate ground conductor can also be run to the outlet box, but this is usually not done as it is usually invasive (at this point, a new cable may as well be drawn in)

Cheers, Brendan

-- 15 Mar 2015 20:10 --

Luvin Da Blues wrote:
One way to check if you have a ground at the receptacle is to use a multi-meter. First, with the dial set to 220V volt, touch the meter leads to the hot wire and the metal box and see if you have a full voltage reading.

Don't ever do this. No safety issue, but you may get an erroneous reading even if there is no ground (bond) present. Most DMM's have an incredibly high resistances when taking voltage readings, any trickle to ground; the metre will show a reading. I have witnessed this first hand referencing hot (source) to a wood beam in a house ... ...

Cheers, Brendan