Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:45 pm 

You should really make sure your house is grounded properly. This is especially important if you have source and output equipment plugged into different outlets. Although it's rare in homes, it's possible (especially if the homes grouding is suspect) that the one piece of equipement will ground over the interconnect to another piece of equipment.

I see this alot when people use a long interconnect to hook a computer or other such device to a reciever with a longer interconnect. Sometimes, the reciever is grounded or has a lower potential then the computer or source device and the source device will seek ground over the interconnect wire. This is percieved as a 60hz hum over the speakers. Most decent interconnect cables (of any length) will have a dedicated ground wire to neutralize this problem. Its generally not an issue with short cables as the two devices are usually grounded to something with the same potential.

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:08 am 

Thanks Yaukui!

Post subject: grounding
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:30 pm 

Try audiogon archives , dedicated ac , quite a few threads on this topic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:22 pm 

let me remind everybody the ground wire is to carry the fault current away from the defective device, (if a fault occurs) and safety return it to ground/earth.
it serves no other purpose.

I do agree that you should conslult and electrician if you are the owner of the building, and have him check it out.

it is very importatant that therey be a continuous ground connection from the receptacle to the main panel

I know of what I speak - as I have been and electrician for 25 years

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:30 am 

If possible, you might want to consider an isolated ground receptacle

terminated to a surge suppressing breaker.

If you picture all the bonding conductors in your house you'll see the

potential for all outlets to be connected to ground through multiple paths.

In an isolated ground system, run a 14-3 conducter from your panel to

the outlet using the black as hot, the white as neutral and the rerd wire

as the ground. Bond the outlet box using the bare copper conductor. The

isolated plug while keep the bonding conductor away from your

equipment and the insulated red conductor will isolate the ground from

your receptacle all the way back to your system ground. For identification

and code conformity, use green phase tape to identify the red conductor

as now being ground.

I hope this helps you and anyone else that may want to do this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:40 pm 

A ground wire must always be green, in Canada anyway. Europe uses a green/yellow.

Never use any other colour, other than green, or bare wire for a ground.

If you replaced the 2 prog outlet with a three, you are violating the Canadian Electrical code.

You must replace the wire in the wall with the appropriate two conductor cable with a ground.

And yes any modifications to your house wiring requires an inspection, so if you are not sure you should contact an Electrician in your area to get the problem fixed asap...

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:22 am 

You mentioned that you "grounded" the box and if I understand what you said correctly, you attached the neutral or white wire to the box?
That's not good, you've connected one side of the AC line to the box and the screw holding the plate on is now alive and if you happen to have a metal wall plate....well....that is too. For instance let's say someone wired the one next to it backwards and you touch one with this hand and the other with that hand....yikes.
That's how people die from faulty wiring.
You should un-do what you've done there and run a proper earth ground. The electricians reading this would be best to advise you on that procedure.
When working with wiring in the home, number one priority is safety and adhering to the codes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:31 am 

Btw, unless you have some interference/feedback issue, most audio equipments that are not ground-dependent usually sound better without being grounded. Grounding is mainly for safety purpose and to shield interference. Many people perform "ground lift" mod on their equipments.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:36 am 

kin0kin wrote:
Btw, unless you have some interference/feedback issue, most audio equipments that are not ground-dependent usually sound better without being grounded. Grounding is mainly for safety purpose and to shield interference. Many people perform "ground lift" mod on their equipments.

Please explain "ground dependent".

Is a man's best hedge
Against the vague uncertainies of life
Corb Lund

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:11 pm 

Equipments that don't necessarily need to be grounded to work - I believe most equipments don't need to, AC ground is just for safety purpose. Having the AC ground lifted could solve some ground loop issue, and you wouldn't get any contamination from other equipments - digital ground vs analog ground vs noisy equipments ground, and etc.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:33 pm 

whokc wrote:
Hello,
When I changed the outlet in my apartment (an old building), I discovered the outlet has only live and neutral, no ground connection. As there is metal box surrounding it, I installed a connection between the outlet ground and the metal box. Ok, everything done, system reconnected and turned on, system sounds fine, a bit better than before since I used a higher quality outlet. Some ppl wrote to magazines saying they could hear the radio station thru the speakers even the amp is turned off, since the metal tube pipeline in the building acts as a giant antenna. But I didn't hear such artifacts. Am I doing the right thing? What are the requirements of electrical grounding in a building or house?

Any help appreciated,
Will.

install a GFI receptacle whenever you find a 2 wire outlet with no ground....as in an old house or nob and tube wiring....the GFI will certainly help in your situation without re wiring the outlet

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:23 pm 

marantzkid wrote:
whokc wrote:
Hello,
When I changed the outlet in my apartment (an old building), I discovered the outlet has only live and neutral, no ground connection. As there is metal box surrounding it, I installed a connection between the outlet ground and the metal box. Ok, everything done, system reconnected and turned on, system sounds fine, a bit better than before since I used a higher quality outlet. Some ppl wrote to magazines saying they could hear the radio station thru the speakers even the amp is turned off, since the metal tube pipeline in the building acts as a giant antenna. But I didn't hear such artifacts. Am I doing the right thing? What are the requirements of electrical grounding in a building or house?

Any help appreciated,
Will.

install a GFI receptacle whenever you find a 2 wire outlet with no ground....as in an old house or nob and tube wiring....the GFI will certainly help in your situation without re wiring the outlet

marantzkid is correct, in fact the Canadian Electrical Code only allows two prong receptacles to be replace with two prong, or a GFI.

Now there is a way around this. If you have say for argument sakes three receptacles on one circuit. You may replace the first inline receptacle with a GFI, then replace the others with a three prong plug, and place the stickers that come with the GFI on each plug stating “No Equipment Ground”, and “GFCI protected Outlet”…

All three receptacles will now be protected by the GFI.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:19 am 

Correct me if I am wrong please. I don't think the problem has anything to do with the ground wire. All electrical equipment will work without a ground wire.....It is only there for saftey incase of a short circuit.

Regardless of that.....The original message said that there were people in the building complaining about radio transmissions coming out of there speakers when their equipment was off. I had the same problem with my old Yamaha reciever. I live in a brand new house (all to code). I tried everything from insulated speaker wire to power conditioners......nothing worked. Swapped out the Yamaha for a higher end Marantz and the problem disappeard. My neighboure had the same problem with there reciever (lower end Best Buy special).

Not sure why this happened or what the difference was between recievers but it worked.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:54 am 

Yaukui wrote:

I already am a geenyeus, thank you very much. :wink: And you spelded geenyeus wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:45 am 

kin0kin wrote:
Equipments that don't necessarily need to be grounded to work - I believe most equipments don't need to, AC ground is just for safety purpose. Having the AC ground lifted could solve some ground loop issue, and you wouldn't get any contamination from other equipments - digital ground vs analog ground vs noisy equipments ground, and etc.

No "AC mains" product needs to be grounded to work, the ground is for a safety return if there is leakage to the steel cabinet.

Any product that needs the ground "lifted" to solve a problem with the sound (hum, noise, etc.) is either defective or poorly designed, full stop. The ground should never be lifted, any more than you would drive a car with no brakes, it's dangerous.

Is a man's best hedge
Against the vague uncertainies of life
Corb Lund

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next