Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Product reliability
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:15 am 

+1 for Denon and Samsung, and I will add Toshiba DVD-Audio players to the list (although I have a 42" Toshiba television in my bedroom that is still going strong).
I had a Cambridge Audio DVD player that was dead right out of the box. I took it back and got a Denon. Talk about jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:20 am 

vinylbrother wrote:
mahatma1 wrote:
A friend dropped by last week and we were talking about what we had been up to lately. As usual he had been fixing his fancy P.I.A. British car (a Triumph convertible).
The car is glorious for the two or three weeks it actually runs. The rest of the time it is in a constant state of being repaired or rebuilt.
I wouldn't have one if they gave them away. The constant need for repairs would be a major deal breaker.
I feel the same way about most things.
Reliability is an important part of the purchase decision.
It would seem though a lot of people disagree, Stereophile among them.
An amp they were reviewing failed several times during testing and reviewing and was recommended despite the failures because it sounded great when it worked. :shock:
The question I have is this, A component is absolutely wonderful. The best sounding thing you've ever had in your system,
but it breaks down a lot and is out of service for months at a time.
Do you put up with it or get rid of it?

My Dad always said , “ If you want to find a good reliable appliance, don’t call a salesman , call the repair shop “

Yes to that. I am using my same Maytag washer and dryer for 12 years now. Not top models either, just basic. Have spent a total of $200 for repairs in 12 years. The guy who repairs them is frequently reparing 2 year old very expensive units that fail often. Neither piece plays music but my clothes are shiny clean. I owned an Air Tight ATM1 tube amp, that in 22 years needed one capacitor replaced at a total cost of $125. Sold it for about same as I paid for it. I now own a newer Air Tight ATM1-S which hopefully should last as long or longer. All hand wired point to point, no circuits or trace boards so very easy to repair. I miss my 1986 Ford F150 4x4 straight inline 6, no AC, no power windows, bench seat, steel interior roof and steel interior door panels with rubber floors, no carpet. Drain plug inside the interior so I could wash out the inside after each trip. Took a beating with 70K of bush driiving on bad fishing roads, never required a repair after 210,000km other than brakes and battery. After 13 years I sold it for a third of what I paid for it brand new. Simplicity can often be the best.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:52 am 

mahatma1 wrote:
A friend dropped by last week and we were talking about what we had been up to lately. As usual he had been fixing his fancy P.I.A. British car (a Triumph convertible).
The car is glorious for the two or three weeks it actually runs. The rest of the time it is in a constant state of being repaired or rebuilt.
I wouldn't have one if they gave them away. The constant need for repairs would be a major deal breaker.
An amp they were reviewing failed several times during testing and reviewing and was recommended despite the failures because it sounded great when it worked. :shock:
The question I have is this, A component is absolutely wonderful. The best sounding thing you've ever had in your system,

Nope! I won't put up with it. My old Audio Research D-90B tube amp sounded wonderful and it was very reliable similarly with Audio Research Classic 60

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:36 pm 

I had a Kenwood cassette deck that was a massive pain, sounded good when it worked, but was forever breaking down. The only reason I kept it was because I could bring myself to inflict it on someone else. Then my apartment was broken into, and the deck was one of the things that got stolen. The thieves got what they deserved!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:27 pm 

Sometimes you love what you love.

I loved 2 stroke motorcycles. Had 5-6 of them over the years. Eventually blew the motor in them all. But the manner in which they delivered power was addictive. Track or street, their howl was special.

I was eventually cured by a ride on a GSXR750 4 stroke bike. Went on to own 11 of those, including some 1100’s.

But when Spring comes and I get that first blast of air, it is always memories of kick starting a Yamaha 2 stoke that come to mind.

As for audio gear, I have never owned anything unreliable.

Mark in Burlington

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:28 pm 

Why do the British drink warm beer? Lucas makes refrigerators.[/quote]

Heh, excellent!
Ott.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:35 pm 

mcgsxr wrote:
...memories of kick starting a Yamaha 2 stoke that come to mind.

my memories start again in a couple months :D

Attachments:
rz500.jpg
rz500.jpg [ 501.97 KiB | Viewed 473 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:30 pm 

Unbelievable RZ-500

I still have mine, cool memories !

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:46 pm 

I've been lucky with my stereo gear, all reliable other than scratchy controls. The British sports car industry was killed by the Datsun 240z, did everything it was designed to with no drama. At least 8 of my bikes were 2 strokes, never lost an engine and put over 30,000 miles on two of them.
PS stop showing off with the RZ :lol:

-- 19 Feb 2018 22:46 --

I've been lucky with my stereo gear, all reliable other than scratchy controls. The British sports car industry was killed by the Datsun 240z, did everything it was designed to with no drama. At least 8 of my bikes were 2 strokes, never lost an engine and put over 30,000 miles on two of them.
PS stop showing off with the RZ :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:56 pm 

joe mandel wrote:
The British sports car industry was killed by the Datsun 240z, did everything it was designed to with no drama.

It is funny you should say that. I bought one new in 1973 for less than $5,000 ... and I still have it.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:57 pm 

mahatma1 wrote:
Isn't that kinda like marriage? :lol:

I know what you mean about the reliability thing. I bought a Toyota Yaris (should be called Yawns) because I knew it was reliable. Fun to drive? :lol:

Electronics has always been more reliable for me, but even the best can fail at least once....it's the nature of manufacturing tolerances in the current (and past) industrial arena. But twice...or 3 times? That's inexcusable, IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:59 pm 

bolly wrote:
mcgsxr wrote:
...memories of kick starting a Yamaha 2 stoke that come to mind.

my memories start again in a couple months :D

Counting the days...

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 98.13 KiB | Viewed 413 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:49 pm 

Quadzilla wrote:
joe mandel wrote:
The British sports car industry was killed by the Datsun 240z, did everything it was designed to with no drama.

It is funny you should say that. I bought one new in 1973 for less than $5,000 ... and I still have it.

Nice, still driving it?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:12 pm 

Che Cavolo wrote:
Quadzilla wrote:
joe mandel wrote:

Nice, still driving it?

It is getting painted at the moment, and I don't drive it in the winter. I am hoping to have it back on the road in a month or two.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:13 am 

Quadzilla wrote:
A while back, I had a Triumph TR7. It was a very cool little car, but a massive PITA. I couldn't play the radio because if the car heard that it was raining somewhere in the world it would stall.

LMAO!!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next