Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:37 am 

shawnwes wrote:
I saw this in Chapters last year but at $64 ++ I didn't want it enough to part with the cash. Fast forward to today and was browsing in HomeSense while the wife shopped in earnest and lo' and behold there is was for $19.99 - SOLD! Stocking stuffer to myself! Over 400 pages on some of the most colourful vinyl collectors and what draws them like moths to a flame to the quirky world of record collecting.

Quote from the introduction:

"Having a record collection in this digital-dominant climate is a very particular thing. It's a pain in the ass, frankly. It's not convenient, it's not necessary, and it makes little sense. I ask myself why I keep buying records. I move a lot, and records weren't built for dragging around the world. But even in this digital age, we humans still love to have objects, we love to have stuff-it's comforting. Music is comforting. And at the intersection of these timeless human comforts, we find this beautiful obsession called record collecting."

http://dustandgrooves.com/

I received a copy of that as a gift this year, fantastic book. Was gifted records alongside as well.

Bought myself an old/new Rotel RX-1050

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:43 am 

Recieved the complete vinyl collection of The Tragically Hip as my gift from my wife. We split the cost . Also I picked up
Rolling Stones on air and Neil Young live at Vincent Massey Hall 1971..Happy New Year everyone.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:27 pm 

I got myself a boxing day present of an Audio Research Reference Phono 2 SE.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:09 pm 

alboettcher wrote:
Recieved the complete vinyl collection of The Tragically Hip as my gift from my wife.

Very cool. A good friend presented me a vinyl copy of Up to Here for Christmas (my favorite Hip album).....

I had been eyeing some cable and tube upgrades as potential audio Christmas gifts to myself . However, my washing machine decided to shuck its mortal coil, so my audio budget was unexpectedly redirected towards Boxing Day laundry appliance deals.....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:54 am 

Attachment:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 365.39 KiB | Viewed 228 times ]
Attachment:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 406.28 KiB | Viewed 228 times ]
Recieved this today ordered it Boxing Day. All the way from Hungary in a week. It is the Heliopad Luna record stabilizer for Gerrard, Lenco etc. Very well made, 100 all in our money, Janos was excellent to deal with very good communication. Off this week just going to sit down and give it a listen. T

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:19 am 

Along with the new Leonard Cohen LP which I got right after xmas from Amazon, I decided to pull the pin on a used Moon DAC100D (to replace my Cambridge DacMagic 100) which is on its way as we speak (from CAM of course).
jp

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:01 am 

I received a couple Joe Jackson reissues by Intervention Records that sound very good plus a couple Style Council albums in coloured vinyl.
On Boxing Day I brought home a Plinius Hautonga integrated amp to audition. It’s staying so I guess I’ve had a great Audio Christmas!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:37 pm 

David P wrote:
I received a couple Joe Jackson reissues by Intervention Records that sound very good plus a couple Style Council albums in coloured vinyl.
On Boxing Day I brought home a Plinius Hautonga integrated amp to audition. It’s staying so I guess I’ve had a great Audio Christmas!

Hey David...if you don't mind...which JJ reissues? ...how do they sound?

Cheers!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:50 pm 

A new turntable. First one I've bought in 35 years.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:58 pm 

Stone wrote:
David P wrote:

Hey David...if you don't mind...which JJ reissues? ...how do they sound?

Cheers!

Hi Stone!
I got Look Sharp and Night and Day. I think they sound very good. My old copies sounded pretty bright to me and these are better. Mind you, I made a system change at the same time but I played them the other night and felt it was worth it to get the reissues.
Happy 2018!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:40 am 

dougroach wrote:
Got myself a Gold Note PH-1 phono pre and a Audio Sensibility Impact SE cable to go with it.
Cheers, Doug

Where did you buy the gold note? Also, was it the PH-10?
Thanks,
Byron

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:52 am 

Hi Byron. Since there are no dealers in my area, I got it from Tri-Cell directly. And it is the PH-1, which blows the doors off my ARC P9 inboard phono stage!! 8)
Cheers, Doug