Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:49 pm 

I have a pair of Quicksilver mini mites. Love them. Running them through a pair of Castle Knight 3's. Like them. Sounds "nice" but not seeing god. Im on a budget and wondering if a pair of good ol' Vandersteens might bring me closer to the the sonic god particle. I know its subjective but any input would be appreciated... Or any other speaker suggestions vintage or newish...

BJ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:05 pm 

Welcome to Cam Buster.
Which Vandersteens?
Theres a few...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:17 pm 

Im thinking 2C's. Iv seen them pop up at a good price from time to time.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:07 pm 

I ran a pair of 2CEs with a couple 25-30 wpc tube amps and didn't think it was ideal. I thought some transistor amps I had sounded better with those (better control in the bass) but even then I thought it was too much speaker for the size of my room.

To answer your question better I think it would be helpful if you mentioned the volume level you prefer, the type of music and the size of your room. With my preferences and my room I would be looking at something a lot more sensitive than anything Vandersteen.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:30 pm 

Vandersteens like current,that would be a terrible match,you would need at least a ARC VT100 to do any justice to those speakers and probably not even then,solid state would be a better idea.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:36 am 

audiodomm wrote:
Vandersteens like current,that would be a terrible match,you would need at least a ARC VT100 to do any justice to those speakers and probably not even then,solid state would be a better idea.

+1.

Krell has 150w to 200w integrated amps which would do a nice job. The preamp section can be bypassed so you can use your preamp. They can be found for around $1000 to $1500. Much more capable that the Bryston 3B-ST I had.

If buying 20+ year old speakers be sure they have been re-foamed. They will need it much sooner than later and this cannot be avoided. If they have rubber surrounds that won't be an issue but IIRC V2C's have foam surrounds. I've bought 20 year old speakers where the foam looked OK but as soon as you touched it the foam crumbled apart.

If you want to keep your current amp you may want to look in a different direction for speakers

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:05 am 

Tom_r wrote:
audiodomm wrote:

+1.

Krell has 150w to 200w integrated amps which would do a nice job. The preamp section can be bypassed so you can use your preamp. They can be found for around $1000 to $1500. Much more capable that the Bryston 3B-ST I had.

If buying 20+ year old speakers be sure they have been re-foamed. They will need it much sooner than later and this cannot be avoided. If they have rubber surrounds that won't be an issue but IIRC V2C's have foam surrounds. I've bought 20 year old speakers where the foam looked OK but as soon as you touched it the foam crumbled apart.

If you want to keep your current amp you may want to look in a different direction for speakers

Vandersteens are not known to suffer from this as they never used foam.

OP: I have a set of Vandersteen 2Ce Sigs in my 2nd system and enjoy them very much. One thing to remember with Vandersteens is the sweet spot is very focused, if your ears move either above or below the sweet spot the high tones and imaging disappear but get it right and they sound fantastic. The 2C line has been around for a long time and many improvements have been made over the years mostly to the upper mid and high frequency.The tweeters can be different in speakers produced in the same year, the Vandersteen website has info on when changes happened based on the serial numbers. Before purchasing the 2Ce Sigs I had 2 sets of 2Ce's one of the fist sets of Ce's and a later set, the early Ce's had the tweeter out of the Ci and sounder rather dark the later set was better. I have also demo'd the 2C Sig 2's and honestly believe he should have stopped messing with them as in my opinion the 2 Ce Sig's sound the best.

PS: The amp I am driving them with is a vintage Sumo 9 Plus that has been restored/updated its a Class A Amplifier at 65 watts per channel. The other thing to watch for is the stands, Vandersteen uses Sound Anchor stands and they are a must with them you can easily adjust the speakers tilt to position the sweet spot. After my last move I set them up briefly without the stands (I removed the stands for the move and re-boxed everything in the factory boxes) they sound pretty bad just sitting on the floor,

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:29 am 

I'll add my voice to the chorus and tell you that your tube mono's will not have the current or the general oomph to drive 2CE's to their potential. I had the 2CEsig's and drove them with a series of high current SS amps and they sound marvelous that way and the better the electronics, the better they sounded.
+1 for the matching stands: no practical way to get them to the proper tilt to extract the best sound and still keep them stable.
Unless you're married to the idea of Vandersteens, look elsewhere for speakers (hint: something with much greater efficiency).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:47 am 

Hi,

Somehow I think those Quickie mini-mites are an EL34 design. Correct? If so, they need a speaker with a very smooth and gentle impedence curve - in other words, very easy to drive, with a simple cross-over or none at all. The Castle Knight 3, a two way floorstander, is actually quite a good choice.

The Vandies are beasts and need SS power with finesse. Even the entry level 1c model needs oomph.

So, what else is out there for about $1000 a pair that would like the OP's Quickies? This one is a toughy because I assume the OP wants another floorstander, and while there are lots of stand mounts that would work, they may strike him as being bass-shy. One thought I had was a pair of JMLab Daline 3.1 speakers, but finding a pair could take months. A Fostex folded horn design would work well, but that is a DIY project.

So, let's help the guy!!

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:50 pm 

I had Vandersteen 2ce sigs and drove them with a VTL st-85 sounded great el34 based amp no problem blowing the doors off when I wanted too.