Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:06 am 

Just Curious,

If one buys a New (Let's say Diana Krall) CD and also the Vinyl pressing of her latest, do they both contain the same amount of minutes of music?

If the CD has 75 minutes, how much can they get on New LP's or do they issue 2 LP's to make up the 75 minutes?

Ott.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:23 am 

I would guess that would be up to the record company. A record company may think that a double vinyl may cost too much to be an attractive sale therefore removing a track or 2 so it will all fit on LP. It is also not uncommon for CD’s to contain extra tracks.

CD = 74 minutes of music.
LP = approx. 22 minutes per side @ 33 RPM

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:42 am 

There is an annoying habit (more so with cd's) of filling up the available space with dreck. Just because a cd can hold over 70 minutes doesn't mean it has to to. Give me 35 minutes of killer with no filler and I'm happy.
As for LP's there has been a few 3 sided records (two lps with one side left blank).
Johnny Winter's - Second Winter to name one.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:45 am 

ottguit wrote:
Just Curious,

If one buys a New (Let's say Diana Krall) CD and also the Vinyl pressing of her latest, do they both contain the same amount of minutes of music?

If the CD has 75 minutes, how much can they get on New LP's or do they issue 2 LP's to make up the 75 minutes?

Ott.

The new Diana Krall is a double album with only 3 sides of music. The 4th side is blank. Good for setting azimuth though.....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:55 am 

brf wrote:
ottguit wrote:
Just Curious,

Ott.

The new Diana Krall is a double album with only 3 sides of music. The 4th side is blank. Good for setting azimuth though.....

That 4th side is the best she's ever sounded.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:44 am 

The new Diana Krall is a double album with only 3 sides of music. The 4th side is blank. Good for setting azimuth though.....[/quote]
That 4th side is the best she's ever sounded.[/quote]

Heh,

You guys are a Hoot :-)

Ott.

-- 02 Oct 2017 17:50 --

mahatma1 wrote:
There is an annoying habit (more so with cd's) of filling up the available space with dreck. Just because a cd can hold over 70 minutes doesn't mean it has to to. Give me 35 minutes of killer with no filler and I'm happy.
As for LP's there has been a few 3 sided records (two lps with one side left blank).
Johnny Winter's - Second Winter to name one.

Yeah,
You're not kidding!

A perfectly good CD can ruin the mood, by having 5 unissued alternate takes.
It can be educational to hear how a tune evolved in those takes, but ya don't wan to hear it all the time.
Sometimes the out-takes are at the end which is Ok, you can just stop it there. It would be better if it was like on DVD's, Optional .

Ott.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:21 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

It is so refreshing to see a forum where someone isn't throwing themselves to the mercy of the crowd to tell him what to buy. Your ears will always tell you what to buy. All you have to do is learn how to listen.

J.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:06 am 

mahatma1 wrote:
brf wrote:
ottguit wrote:
Just Curious,

Ott.

That 4th side is the best she's ever sounded.

Actually the best thing about her albums are the covers.
Happy Listening, Craig

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:10 am 

sthomas1049 wrote:
I would guess that would be up to the record company. A record company may think that a double vinyl may cost too much to be an attractive sale therefore removing a track or 2 so it will all fit on LP. It is also not uncommon for CD’s to contain extra tracks.

CD = 74 minutes of music.
LP = approx. 22 minutes per side @ 33 RPM

They would probably just span it across two discs. Same goes for albums that are longer, and require two CDs. Smashing Pumpkins Mellon Collie, for example... 121 minutes.

Think of Bob Dylan's Desire... over 56 minutes of music on a single LP. But, at the compromise of squishing the tracks in, unfortunately. The double 45RPM MOFI is infinitely better sounding.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:12 pm 

In many instances they should replace the term "bonus tracks" with "no other way to sell tracks" warning.
I am fine wish shorter track list. However i see no reason why a well established artist/group should not fill spare cd room with past hits to keep you reminded why you liked them in the first place. A revised version of a past success tacked on is also fresh sometimes.
Instead of selling blank vinyl sides artists could support their opening acts with some space to be heard...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:40 pm 

brf wrote:
ottguit wrote:
Just Curious,

Ott.

Ya, and I found out the hard way.....couldn't figure out what had happened until I took a good hard look....and I agree about the use of a blank side, altho my "family farm animal sounds" album is also great for azimuth settings..... :lol: